MTU on xbox one

Last year I procured 1G internet, immediately I conducted an detailed network statistics and was over joyed with the results 980 to 890 consistently through out the summer of 2018.  My up load was 50mbps there was no loss, and my MTU was set to 1500.  through out that time I was never kicked from a game, and really didn't experienced any real lagging issues. one day I get kicked from my game I am playing and do a check. It is down to 540, to 480, upload is down to 41.38-40.46, and the MTU is at 1480. I call my internet provider and they send out a tech, and find that I am getting the 980 to 890. on the wire my lap to is getting those beautiful number, but on my xbox I monitor the situation and I never saw my Summer of 1500 again. I search the internet and there is no explanation on how to adjust the MTU. so I monitor. I looked at my phone's wifi and it is 612 down and 41.8 up, my xbox one, on the wire is at 512 down and 40.46 up... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!!!! in what world should that ever be the case? my iPhone is getting down and up than my hard wire connection. on my laptop on the same port the same cat7 cable its that sweet 980-890, cat 5 the same. 

HOW DO I CHANGE MY MTU ON MY XBOX!!??!! Please help me make my internet great again.

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

19 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

As a highly skilled and competitive gamer something is 100% wrong here. I've learned a lot about gaming related networking in the past few months and i'm fairly certain your Xbox should always match your MTU settings that your router sends out. A bad MTU can lead to packet fragmentation which doesn't sound bad-However if a fragment of a packet gets through while the rest are dropped that packet wouldn't be tracked as a loss since "The packet" reached its destination. Packet loss is very easy to spot, And as someone who went from an Accurate MTU of 1500 to a "Dead" 1480 there's 150% a very serious packet loss problem at display. 

My set up

Halo 5 Edition 500 GB Xbox one, Wired (Formerly wireless), 

as of this second my xbox shows i'm riding on 837 Mbps up and 150 Mbps down Latency of 37 Ms (Pretty sure it used to be lower)

A false packet loss of 0% and a dead MTU of 1480. My Nat is open and i'm on IPV4 (Formerly IPV6). Everything I mentioned is responsive to my router changes aside from my MTU, I can block certain ports to make my Nat type Strict in real time, I can lower my Ethernet port to 100 Duplex 100mbps and my connection lowers to 100-95mps up and down, But when I change my MTU to its default (1500) My xbox goes "No, I don't think i will". Assuming 1480 was my Xbox's new limit i lowered it to 1400 but again, My xbox stayed at 1480. I've tried matching my MTU to my Xbox and there was literally no improvement as if my Xbox wasn't even getting its mtu from my Router. (Fios Quantum Gateway G1100). 

Things i have tried - Contacting my reliable (No sarcasm) ISP but it's out of their hands understandably, This is a Microsoft Support issue. 

Hard Resetting my Xbox (Holding power button for 10 seconds/Until my xbox stops making noises) then unplugging my Console and turning it on to use up all of the stored power and turning it all on but this has not worked. 

Changing my IP, My Mac Address, Setting static IP on my xbox, Googles DNS, Cloudflares?fares? (1.1.1.1s) dns and nothing. Eventually I Factory reset My console with over 400GBs of games to reinstall and it was all for nothing. I've tried Wired/wireless, going offline, back on literally every guide there was for network problems to no avail. 

For my router i reset it, Hard reset it, Moved it's location, Got a new Ethernet cord, New coax, Had a Tech Replace it (Thinking it was faulty but it was covered), Factory reset it, Had my console as the only connection other than my phone to access my router page, Literally everything I could including resetting my Modem, Nothing worked. At the moment i am considering getting a new xbox even though i reaaallyy wanted to wait for the Scarlet because i am out of ideas. I mentioned my High skill level because It is EXTREMELY stressful to be a Champion Level player without trying (pre 1480) to barely winning a game against people using ARs and spartan charging. As a high level player I noticed things like "A games default Deadzone" and look to fix it whereas other players don't even know. I can tell when my batteries are dying because it feels less responsive and I certainly know when I'm playing poorly and when something is directly/indirectly affecting my gameplay. Halo 5 is completely unplayable, I went from kill leader-Champion to someone who gets more high placements by my teammates who hide in bushes all game because I'm already dead, No one makes any noise until it's too late, Skill checks skip in dead by daylight I would never recommend Xbox to a soul if that was their only option as it stands but I know it wasn't always this way and there must be a way to fix it.  

Exhausting my large pool of possible problems we could probably compare our situations to find a problem we both have in common and possibly fix it(Since no one else shows any concern about how bad it really is). Please respond OP, We may be the only ones between the solution and another "Leave your mtu alone, zero packet loss is fine" comment which is the "sweep it under the carpet approach". 

59 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated March 14, 2024 Views 11,541 Applies to: