Minecraft online - You are not allowed to create this game session...

My son has an Xbox Live Gold account, an XBOX 360 which is connected to HD TV using an HDMI cable, and Xbox System settings are good for HDTV.

We have never managed to get a Minecraft online game. Neither creating his own game nor connecting to a friend's game. He finds this rather frustrating, and I am tearing my hair out trying to get it to work. We both feel it must be something simple, but I have followed all the advice I can find in the forum (and I do computing for a job so I can follow instructions.....)

The error message is

"You are not allowed to create this game session because one of your local players has a Member Content privilege setting that is too restrictive. Uncheck the 'online game' box to start an offline game, or change this setting in the Privacy and Online Settings"

He is able to play Plants vs Zombies online with his friends, so I didn't think it was anything to do with his Privacy Settings.

I have set his Privacy and Online settings to a custom setting which incudes Online gameplay  -see screen shots below...

Is this what is meant by "Member Content privilege setting" ?

I have looked through the forum and followed the various advice, but to no affect.

e.g. the XBOX > System> Console Settings> Display> HDTV Settings - I set to optimal resolution (also tried setting it directly to 1080)

He is able to play multiplayer Minecraft (with his sister) in split screen mode OK. She does not have an XBOX live account, but when my son tries to create an online game, we switch off her controller and so only my son is signed in. (At least i think I think he is the only one signed in - unless any accounts stay signed on when the controller is switched off...?). There have been a number of accounts set up, but he is the only one signing in...

I have noticed that all his gameplay points appear on 'Minecraft Arcade' and not on 'Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition', but he is playing from an Xbox 360 edition Minecraft disc which is in the drive. Is this any clue?

Hope you can help...

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

From the xbox dashboard, go to the privacy settings where you can choose adult/teen/child, and select Change Settings, then customize. Go down until you see Content/Member Content, and change the setting there (to friends or everyone). Repeat for each account.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

I changed most of the privacy and online settings to be 'friends only' whereas some had been prevented or off or whatever before. Did this using custom setting. Online games now work hurrah! Probably was just the Member Content setting as described above so might try to tighten some the options again.

Thanks for posting

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated August 18, 2021 Views 103 Applies to: