Minecraft Legacy Launcher Wont Open, "Unable to Update Native Launcher"

I am running Windows 7, which I know is unsupported but the legacy launcher still is so I thought I'd give this a try after MojangTech Support ghosted me.

I am trying to play Minecraft Java. I downloaded the legacy launcher from https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/download . Installation went as normal. Then, when I try to open the launcher, I am greeted with this error code: "Unable to Update Native Launcher" (I am unable to upload a screenshot of the error code, but it is basically just a box pop-up with an option to press 'okay). I have tried using both the install wizard, as well as the control panel programs menu to repair the launcher. Nothing.

Hi, Jenna. I hope you're doing well and safe out there. I'm an Independent Advisor and I’m happy to help you today.

Have you tried downloading the launcher here: https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/download/altern...?

If the error persists, kindly press the Windows logo key. In the Search bar, type Minecraft and click Open file location. Right-click on the Minecraft Launcher and click Troubleshoot compatibility. Follow the on-screen instructions to finish the process.

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.
Give back to the Community. Help the next person who has this issue by indicating if this reply solved your problem. Click Yes or No below.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I tried to install the from the list of alternate links. I downloaded "minecraft.exe". When I launched it, it gave me the error message saying "Couldn't load launcher core from C:\Users\Jenna\Downloads\game\launcher.dll; LoadErrorNotPresent" then lower it says "If this is your first time running Minecraft, please ensure you are connected to the internet so we can download updates"

However, I have 4 of 5 bars of internet, so I don't think that is the issue.

After I close this dialog box, I get an error message saying "Unable to start the Minecraft Runtime Environment. This is most likely caused by a corruption. Please try to reinstall Minecraft"

I then tried the second alternate install link marked for Windows 7, which downloads "MinecraftInstaller.msi" (the same thing that downloaded from the main page). I installed the launcher to C:\Program Files (x86)\, and it went the same as it did before. Showing the error message "Unable to Update Native Launcher"

After that, I troubleshooted (troubleshot?) the compatibility, and it tried to get me to run it in compatibility mode for Windows XP Service Pack 2, which I figured wasn't right but I tried it anyway. Same error message. Then, when the next box came up, it asked about additional permissions, so I ran it as an administrator. Same error message.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, Jenna. I appreciate you trying the steps. If the issue still persists, it would be best to coordinate with Minecraft team again since it’s an issue with the launcher. The Minecraft launcher on MS store will only work on Windows 10 or 11. Sorry
Give back to the Community. Help the next person who has this issue by indicating if this reply solved your problem. Click Yes or No below.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks anyway for the help, I appreciate it. If I can't get them to respond I might just have to figure out how to upgrade to Windows 10.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You can refer to this kink as your guide, Jenna. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/upg...

To reach Minecraft team, you can submit the request here: https://help.minecraft.net/hc/en-us

Thanks for your time with me today.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

i have windows 7 so it will fix?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So , If you had windows 7 so download KB936970 . The Minecraft launcher will start updating. I had faced the same problem.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

v vb h

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 8, 2024 Views 2,182 Applies to: