Minecraft: Java Edition launcher crashes upon Microsoft sign-in

I recently got a new computer, and have been trying to fully install Minecraft Java Edition on it, including 1.18. I moved my Mojang account to Microsoft, like it asked me to, but then with the new launcher I tried to sign in with my microsoft account - but all it did was close the launcher once I was signed in and ready to go. Then, when I re-opened the launcher, it had begun the sign-in process all over again, asking me to choose between a Mojang and Microsoft account to sign in with. I tried the same thing with the old Minecraft launcher (Windows 7/8/10), to the same result. What should I do?

Hi vader_2021,

Welcome to Xbox Community Forum. Thank you for sharing your concern with us today and we hope that all is well.

We understand that you are trying to play Minecraft and signing into your account leads to crash of the Minecraft Launcher. Let us check on this together so you will get back to gaming.

To better isolate the issue we would like to ask for few things:

1. Is the PC and Xbox apps(Xbox app/Xbox Console Companion, Xbox Game Bar, Gaming Services including Minecraft Launcher) up-to-date?

Guides:

2. Have you tried re adding the same account on Microsoft Launcher? It diverts the saved cache of credentials as new one on the app.

Launch Minecraft Launcher > instead of selecting the saved account in the app > select add a new account > choose Microsoft Login and sign in with your account. There are threads that found this as solution as they have similar issue you encounter: Mojang Account Migration Issues and Unable to sign in to Minecraft Launcher with Microsoft Account.

Please, do not forget to check here for known issues that might be related to your concern.

Xbox Status

Known Issues for Game Launches

We look forward to your response.  Kindly let us know, if there is any misunderstanding or clarifications of our description by sending us a reply.

Sincerely,

Kathy A.

Xbox Forum Moderator

Microsoft Community

A friendly reminder to always secure your Microsoft account by adding secondary email, mobile #, use authenticator app & generate recovery code - https://account.live.com/proofs/manage/additional

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi vader_2021,

Hope you are doing fine.

We would like to follow up your concern.

Kindly let us know if you are still having issue by posting a reply.

Kind regards,

Kathy A.

A friendly reminder to always secure your Microsoft account by adding secondary email, mobile #, use authenticator app & generate recovery code - https://account.live.com/proofs/manage/additional

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm also having this same issue. Just got new gaming laptop, I have migrated my account from mojang to MS and after I click "let's play" it just shuts down.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

u got a fix yet?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

same problem here any fix yet?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello @Kathy A,

Doing both suggestions at the same time worked for me (I'm on Windows 10, btw)

I was experiencing the same issue. When I signed in on my MS account, the launcher just closed.

For the guys still experiencing this issue, these are the steps I took to get there:

- Opened the Microsoft Store, clicked on "Library", selected 'All' and there was a button at the top right that read "Get updates". Clicked on that.

- Opened Xbox Console Companion, selected "MY Games", and ran the Minecraft Launcher from there.

- Inside the Launcher, I clicked Log in with Microsoft Account, selected "Switch Account", then clicked on "Use a different account" and again typed my Microsoft account there. The launcher didn't close and I could play again!

Hope you guys find this helpful!

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

yeah that happened to me too

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 7, 2024 Views 1,764 Applies to: