M-rated content can be bought at 17, but I have to be 18 to have an Adult account on Xbox

So basically, after talking to a complete idiot of a representative, who ended the session because he couldn't answer my questions when I found a problem, I'm turning to the forums.

I'm 17 years old. I can legally buy any M-rated game from any store that sells Xbox 360 games. But for some reason, I can't buy/download M-rated content on the Xbox Marketplace because "I have to have an adult account" which requires me to be 18 years old. Now the representative attemtped to make it clear that it was because there are also movies that I am not supposed to view because I have to be 18, and that "ESRB ratings (M-ratings 17+) and movie ratings (18+) are different". I can legally go into any Gamestop and I am allowed to buy M-rated games, and I can also go to any movie theatre and buy tickets to any R-rated movie. So will someone please explain to me why the hell I have to be 18 to get/download said content on the Xbox Marketplace? If it is true that I have to be 18 to view certain movies, then why is it that they have to also block M-rated content that I can LEGALLY BUY. It's not too hard to be allowed to play the games but still block me from whatever other content Xbox wants to block me from.

Did I find some idiotic bug in the system that Microsoft hasn't fixed, or can someone please clear this up for me?

The 17+ for games is controlled by the ESRB and neither we nor Xbox can change anything about that. As far as the 18+ setting for Xbox this was a personal choice for Xbox and in this cause a severe flaw that has never been fixed (to my knowledge) if you have the ability to, you can change your console settings to custom and pick and choose your settings. One of the options is playing or viewing "adult" content change it, hopfully this helps.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

You can buy M rated content on the marketplace as long as your settings allow it. You just can't download free demos and trailers that are M rated or unrated because they are considered advertising and can't be downloaded by child accounts.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

hoax international LAWS arent a flaw

demos and trailers and betas are considered advertising which falls under advertising laws

you have to be the age of majority in your region to view such content

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

@ngocphi That totally escaped my mind when I wrote my response... epic failure on my part and you're 100% right. Anyway Unfit with everyones responses put together (minus the boo boo on mine) I believe you have recieved an answer to your question.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 8, 2024 Views 2,990 Applies to: