GEARS OF WAR 4 Over 288gb and still downloading

I NEED someone from Microsoft to explain to me how a 133gb(Ridiculous) game suddenly became a 288gb+ game?

How is this even possible?

I was aware the Windows Store is terrible but this is ridiculous, i cant even Uninstall the game to recover the data. When i click download again it just resumes from were it was left on. Now i have to let it finish whenever that may be (Its been 2 days already) in order to uninstall the whole thing.

I've never had this issue before on Steam with any PC game.....

***Moved from: Apps on Windows 10/ Xbox on Windows***

The game should have install instantly and shuldn't be taking days.  Have you tried restarting your PC?  Then try to uninstall the game again.  Also, there must have been a glitch or something when you installed Gears of War 4 because this game is not 288GB.  I recommend you checking if there are any updates needed.  You can do so by clicking the Start button, then select Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update .
Game on gamers��

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Have you tried following the install path to delete the folders there to completely uninstall the game if you choose?
Christyna

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did I mentioned the Windows store was terrible? Let me add TRASH to that statement.

No, sadly the Windows Store doesn't allow you to access or delete the Windowsapp folder which is where the games are stored.

Games from Windows store download as .APPX formats and not your regular .exe format from any other PC game. So they are stored in a specific folder that treats the game as any other application.

I notice that this is obviously a bug from the Windows store and the game related (GOW4) since it didn't happened with Forza Horizon 4 or Gears of War 1. Also there are other threads in the community about this issue and others had up to 300gb of installation.

When you start the download and the progression bar says: 1.89gb... / 133gb. Once the game reaches 133gb / 133gb it just keeps downloading, it never stops. You will see it later going like 135gb / 135gb both numbers go up at the same time.

I have to say that I did saw an increase in the external HDD once I cancel the download (X). It seems like it does free the temporary files. However if you try to download the game again.... The download number starts where it was last time (i. e. 188gb and counting). Maybe the Windows stores just starts the download from scratch but the progression numbers doesn't start from 0.00... it keeps building up from the last progression.......

[Mod Removed- Terms of Use]

If you ever wonder why people hate that Microsoft puts their games on the Windows Store ONLY..... Now you know, at least The Master Chief Collection will be on Steam.

If this doesn't work then I will wait for Gears of War 4 to be on steam in the inevitable future.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Try opening a powershell with admin privileges and running these two commands:

sfc /scannow

wsreset

Once that's done, try the install again - see if it actually works.

You have nothing Gears of War 4ish in your Add/Remove programs correct?

You can get access to the WindowsApps folder by following instructions here:

https://www.intowindows.com/how-to-access-windowsapps-folder-in-windows-10/

There are risks to this, do so at your own choice.

Ackis - Xbox Ambassador since 2010.

If this post solved your problem, please click the Yes at the bottom of the page. If it helped out, please upvote it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there powerhousepr

Thanks for reaching out to the Forums for clarity on why the game is this size. 

After a game is published, updates might be needed to improve certain features or streamline the gameplay. 

That being said, if you're running into problems with uninstalling it or installing it, I would refer you to the steps/info on Troubleshoot game installations on Windows 10 for potential resolution. 

Also, please be mindful that it is against Xbox Forums Guidelines to encourage or discuss illicit ways to obtain our digital content.

Once again, if you're dealing with download issues, try those steps and let us know if that helped. 

Thanks for reading!

(V) (°,,,,°) (V)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Also, please be mindful that it is against Xbox Forums Guidelines to encourage or discuss illicit ways to obtain our digital content.

He didn't discuss or encourage ways, He stated a fact.

Ackis - Xbox Ambassador since 2010.

If this post solved your problem, please click the Yes at the bottom of the page. If it helped out, please upvote it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You have to remember that almost all these modders have 0 clues or actual context of what’s being discuss.

they will take anything out of context.

Another FACT is that Microsoft actually said they allowed Windows 10 to be Pirated in China cuz it was the right move. So if we are going to talk about piracy, MICROSOFT does encourage the piracy of their own software.

But whatever, i just rather ignore the poor guy over discussing matters with these people.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 5, 2023 Views 486 Applies to: