Fortnite Ram(Memmory) Lag

I have downloaded fortnite lately, And I really liked the game. But I kinda have a Midend pc? Idk with an nvidia gtx 1650 and ryzen 5 3550h processor. But I only have 8 gb ram with 5.9gb usable... When I play fortnite some lag spiked will affect my gameplay and it will make me rage quit the game.

So is there a way to fix this?

~Thanks

Hello Sree! I'm Claus, an Independent Microsoft Community Consultant for Xbox! Glad to be able to help you!

It will depend a lot on your computer hardware itself. First, make sure that you have the latest drivers for your GPU, which you can check on NVIDIA's website. Second, also make sure that your PC has the latest Windows updates. Third, keep in mind that your GPU isn't high end, so keep your game settings limited to what your GPU is capable of rendering (medium to low settings).

If you are using a Hard Drive, and not an SSD, this could also cause skips in the game. With the amount of RAM available that your computer has, it could be that you are running out of usable memory, and Windows is creating Paging Files on your storage device, and that causes lags in games. I highly recommend that you upgrade your RAM to 12GB or 16GB, which would allow Windows to run much better, and your PC shouldn't have any more issues.

Besides these hints, there's not much one can do through text to fix the issue on your PC, because it could require some work to be done on your PC's hardware itself.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Sree! I'm Claus, an Independent Microsoft Community Consultant for Xbox! Glad to be able to help you!

It will depend a lot on your computer hardware itself. First, make sure that you have the latest drivers for your GPU, which you can check on NVIDIA's website. Second, also make sure that your PC has the latest Windows updates. Third, keep in mind that your GPU isn't high end, so keep your game settings limited to what your GPU is capable of rendering (medium to low settings).

If you are using a Hard Drive, and not an SSD, this could also cause skips in the game. With the amount of RAM available that your computer has, it could be that you are running out of usable memory, and Windows is creating Paging Files on your storage device, and that causes lags in games. I highly recommend that you upgrade your RAM to 12GB or 16GB, which would allow Windows to run much better, and your PC shouldn't have any more issues.

Besides these hints, there's not much one can do through text to fix the issue on your PC, because it could require some work to be done on your PC's hardware itself.

How exactly does that help without first disagnosing that it is definitely 100% without doubt a RAM issue? You are advising the OP to spend money when it may not solve the issue at all. I realise being an Advisor your knowledge of computers must be vastly superior to mine but seriously? At least give the OP advice on how to definitively disagnose the issue! Throwing money at it is not a solution. And, FYI, Fortnite's minimum RAM is 4GB so the OP would be over that with 5.7GB of usable RAM unless they have lots of different programs open.

I have, however, deleted my previous post as you have ascertained that there is zero chance of it being related to internet or server issues and 100% to do with RAM. I will leave the thread to you...hopefully the OP doesn't end up wasting money for no reason!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

There are two things that can slow down your game. The first is the actual performance of your hardware and what settings you've selected. Set these graphics too high and you'll suffer FPS drops. The second is your internet connection.

You haven't said what graphics settings you're using in-game. Low, Medium or High?

I've watched a performance test of a Ryzen 5 3550h and a GTX1650 on YouTube and it seem the medium graphics settings should work best on your machine. Correctly optimised, you should be able to maintain a pretty solid 60fps on that machine.

Note that the GTX 1650 has its own dedicated VRAM which means your machine doesn't need to use any your main RAM as a graphics buffer, which would be the case if your laptop only contained an integrated graphics chip.

There really should be no need to add more RAM, at least not yet anyway.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2024 Views 788 Applies to: