Error code 0x80070057 when installing almost all Game Pass games (PC)

I subscribed to the PC Game Pass thing some days ago, but some games give an error immediately after starting the download. When I click on Install, it goes to Queued, then Starting and right after Downloading it shows this error:

I tried downloading Forza Horizon 4, Astroneer, Abzu, Gears 5, Stellaris, Metro Exodus, and Dirt Rally 2 but out of all of them, only the last 4 downloaded normally without showing this error.

I already searched on Google but didn't find a solution, I tried clearing the app's cache, redownloading the Gaming Services, using the Store troubleshooter, restarting my PC several times, giving the app admin permissions, but nothing worked so far. Any help here?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Samuel Rodrigues,

sorry to hear. The Windows message "0x80070057" represents an error caused by invalid arguments or parameters. In some cases, you will also find the additions "E_INVALIDARG" or "ERROR_INVALID_PARAMETER" that explicitly refer to this problem. Depending on the action that this error occurs, it can be very different arguments or properties. In addition, this message sometimes appears even if access to the running system operation is prevented for other reasons (especially by filter drivers).

The parameter error "0x80070057" may also be the result of corrupted system files, so it is recommended to thoroughly check the system files. Windows provides its own tool, System File Checker (SFC), for this purpose, which you can run from the command prompt if you have administrator privileges. The application checks all system files and then immediately starts an attempt to repair found bad files. In any case, SFC records all the results so that you can alternatively replace the damaged data yourself.
To use the scan program, first open the command prompt as an administrator:
Go to Windows Search from the Start menu (Windows icon).
Type "cmd" and then right-click on the entry "Prompt".
Select the "Run as Administrator" menu item.
Now insert the following command line into the command line: sfc /scannow

Confirm your entry by pressing Enter to start the verification process. Leave the command prompt window open until the check is complete and SFC has notified you of the results.

But first try to check if your System is really uptodate (via Windows Update and important for the XBOX Services via Store APP) and try to install the games via the Store App.

Hope this helps and please keep us informed

G v zauBerBerg

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I did what you asked, ran the SFC and it did find stuff that needed repairing, however, even after restarting the same problem persists. Thanks for the reply though!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi again,

thanks for keeping us informed but did you also try to install direct via the store app?

If your console is connected via wireless you should also try to use RJ45 cable to speed up!

G v zauBerBerg

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, I tried installing from the Store but got the same error on the same games.

I'm using a PC and don't have an Xbox, and sadly I can't get the Ethernet cable to my room :(

Edit: Also I forgot to mention that everything is updated to the latest version, both Windows and the Gaming Services and Xbox apps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi again, only to rule out that it is due to a slow connection you should try another DNS server (e.g. OpenDNS, Google). And if your cable is too short, you could also try to use your phone as a hotspot (also only for testing purposes). But I think you belong to the group of users who have to wait for an update. Or did you try to install the games to other drive than C (Some users reported they have to install at C:)?

Really sorry but keep us informed

G v zauBerBerg

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the help! I tried installing the game on the C drive and that worked. I also tried installing on my third drive (the D drive) and that also worked. However, both of those drives don't have much storage space and I need to use the F drive (the one that gives the error) to store my games. Is there any way to fix this issue? Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi again and thanks for keeping us informed, Maybe the hdd F got failures check this via scandisk! Got all HDD the same file system (NTFS/FAT32) what is the differents between them? So we get more Information why it does not work.

G v zauBerBerg

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry to kepe you waiting, but yes all HDDs have the same file system, and the Windows disk check didn't show anythig (not sure what you mean by scandisk, it doesn't exist since Win9x).

As far as I know the only difference between my drives is that C is an SSD where Windows is installed, D is a 500GB HDD and F is a 2TB HDD, both hard drives never had Windows installed on them too.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

(Yes you are right with the scandisk - old habit because many people know this but don't know the old DOS name!!)

So C and D are each a real HDD or only partitions on a hybrid.

• If no, it shows that the game cannot be installed on a 2nd HDD.
  • If so, it is either because it does not accept the 2nd ATA interface or the size of over 1 TB.

But all this goes too far, since resetting the disk or repartitioning is usually out of the question.
So I'm sorry I can't help you. However, since the error message (0x80070057) = "Internal error occurred / The parameter is incorrect" is displayed, MS will probably work on this and with the next update it would have to work.

So Please use the built-in feedback tool within the Xbox app to help MS better understand the issue you are facing. Just click on your profile photo and select “Feedback” from the dropdown menu to open Feedback Hub. Feedback Hub enables you to provide feedback about Windows and apps by sharing your suggestions or problems. 

G v zauBerBerg

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, all drives are separate physical drives connected to different SATA ports. What I found weird is that it can install all games fine to the D drive, but not the F drive.

Well, I'm not sure I'll wait for the update and I'll just cancel my subscription. Thanks for the help though, really appreciated!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 12, 2024 Views 598 Applies to: