Elite v2 controller just shocked me

So I went to set down my controller that was currently charging with the play and charge it came with while getting up off the couch, and I received 2 distinct shocks from it!

I'm a bit of a dumb electrician so I tried to troubleshoot it myself to see if there was a clear fault or if it was weird timing on a simple static shock and came up with nothing.

I'm not overly worried and plan on continuing to use it tonight but nonetheless whenever an electrical device shocks me I figure it's a good idea to make sure it isn't a trend I need to be worried about.

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello 

Just so you're aware. If you're troubleshooting involves opening the controller or trying to be your own electrician and solve the issue yourself, you just voided the warranty by opening the controller up. This is the first time I've heard of the charging station shocking anyone so I'm not sure what caused this specific issue. I'm not sure what to suggest either since it sounds like you opened the controller yourself. Has the controller given you any other issues before or after this happened? 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I didn't open it... I uh... tried to see if I could trigger it again. 

And no it has previously worked fine.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That's very odd! Perhaps you were rubbing your feet on the carpet or couch right before you touched the controller? 
Ambassador Since 2017
"Let the past die".

XBL: KingOfTheRen

IG: KingOfTheRen

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I hope you can send it to guarantee otherwise maybe something should have moved from its place

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is easy to reproduce; mine got me, badly. I'm wondering if its a trend as well.

The way to reproduce the issue is to plug in the controller and touch the paddles on the bottom of the controller (one on each side of the controller) you will receive shocks from one side and then the other repeatedly. It bounces back and forth from one side to the other. Keep in mind i was worried this was crossing my heart(very dangerous) it does not happen if the charge cable is unplugged.

My charge cable is plugged into the front port of my xbox one x.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just got mine yesterday and having the same shocking issue. Initially chalked it up to simple static, but now I can see it is indeed the charging port on the back. Shocks me periodically through the paddles when plugged in. 

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just got mine yesterday and having the same shocking issue. Initially chalked it up to simple static, but now I can see it is indeed the charging port on the back. Shocks me periodically through the paddles when plugged in. 

That shouldn't be happening obviously. I would chalk it up to a bad charging kit. It must not be insulated properly. 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So I have a Elite V1. This is my second one due to my first one finally breaking after 3 or more years of use. My first one worked fine. Recently, a few months ago I got another V1 (Didn't realize the V2 came out shortly after but that's besides the fact) but I'm just now experiencing a bit of stickdrift on my left stick, but more concerning I'm getting shocked from my USB port on the back and from my paddles. Sometimes if its a decent shock it cuts my headset audio out for a few seconds because it's plugged in through my Astro MixAmp Pro and lined in with my headset. I assume the shock in originating from the controller but am scared it might really shortout or somewhat affect my headset as well. Also I am getting a popping noise here and there when I move my mic on my headset but not sure if thats related or not. Hopefully someone knows how to go about this..

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Since there is no large conductive surface on the controller (really nothing other than the charging point)  and at the time the controller was earthed via the charging cable, Im going to suggest this was static electricity.

The controller is powered by a very small voltage and wouldn't be enough to shock you. If it was mains power then it would be large enough to give you enough of a jolt for you to know it was mains.  

In terms of the controller and the charging, there is very little inbetwee m

Wadski

Xbox Ambassador since 2011

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sounds like static electricity.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 20, 2022 Views 1,767 Applies to: