Can't Play Offline While A Game Pass Subscriber

I will start out saying this is NOT an isolated incident and is widespread for every Game Pass subscriber. I looked into multiple forums and articles before posting this. So do not tell me to do basic stuff like hard reset the console and such. It does not work.

I understand that you can play Game Pass games for 30 days before checking in. However this is not happening. As soon as I take the console somewhere else with no internet connection it is saying I need to connect to the internet whenever I try to launch a digital game from Game Pass.

This is even happening with digital games I actually bought that happen to be on Game Pass. I bought the Return to Arkham bundle a few months ago while it was on sale. The console will not let me play it offline after turning the console on the first time after disconnecting it from the internet.

Here is what I did to test this:

-Unplug ethernet cable

-Turn on console

-Attempt to start Batman: Return to Arkham: Arkham City(A game I own but happens to be on Game Pass)

-Tells me I need to be online or make my Xbox One the Home Xbox(it already is)

-I plug in the ethernet cable and let Xbox LIVE load

-I unplug the ethernet cable

-Attempt to start Batman: Return to Arkham: Arkham City and it loads just fine

So the issue is that the 30 day check in is not working properly on top of I should not need a 30 day check in for a digital copy I paid for. Microsoft needs to set a licensing priority where Game Pass is at the bottom of the check not first.

Games not on Game Pass had no issue loading. Resident Evil 2 played right away when I was offline and away from home last night.

My question is what is the hold up of fixing this issue? I have read posts that are two years old with this issue.

If you have previously played these games online you have to continue to do so as they share cloud services from that moment on.
Game ON!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

If you have previously played these games online you have to continue to do so as they share cloud services from that moment on.
You did not comprehend the post. These are SINGLE PLAYER games that can be played offline. Microsoft failed to properly implement licensing meaning I must connect to Xbox LIVE EVERY time I turn off the console. If I turn it on with it being offline it prompts me to make the Xbox my Home Console which it already is.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There are two requirements that need to be met in order to play games offline.

1. The console needs to be your profiles home console.

2. While the console is connected to the internet you need to go into network settings and go into offline mode.

This information can be found at the following support article.

Playing games offline

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

2. While the console is connected to the internet you need to go into network settings and go into offline mode.

Playing games offline

So I need to select "Offline Mode" before taking it anywhere then rather than just unplug the ethernet cable so games will play?

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Playing games offline

I just did that and it still fails to load the game. Quit rehashing stuff from Support pages. This is a unique problem that everyone with Game Pass has.

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So I finally found out how to get around it. When it tells you to get online or make the Xbox the Home Console just keep closing and open the game. After three tries consecutively I was able to start Batman: Return to Arkham: Arkham City. I haven't tried it on other games but I actually own this game.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Saiyan

Thank you for taking the time to post this on the Xbox Forums. We understand that you are currently experiencing difficulties with being able to play games that are part of Xbox Game Pass on your console while offline, even if you have your Home Xbox configured correctly.

On Xbox One, you will need to be online in order for the system to recognize that you have the correct Xbox subscription corresponding to the game you are attempting to launch. Only on PC, can you play your games offline for up to 30 days before needing to re-connect online.  

As far as not being able to launch games you own offline, while your console is configured as your Home Xbox, this could be a bug and should be reported using the Xbox Insider Hub so that the engineers that work on this, will be made aware of this and produce a patch or fix with most haste.

I'm sorry about any confusion or turmoil this might have caused.

XBF Eladio M
Microsoft Agent
Xbox Forums Moderator
"Courage is doing what you are afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you are scared. – Eddie Rickenbacker." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

glad you were able to find a solution for this. I too had some trouble with this a while back. Game on bro.
MadLou9000

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Saiyan

Thank you for taking the time to post this on the Xbox Forums. We understand that you are currently experiencing difficulties with being able to play games that are part of Xbox Game Pass on your console while offline, even if you have your Home Xbox configured correctly.

On Xbox One, you will need to be online in order for the system to recognize that you have the correct Xbox subscription corresponding to the game you are attempting to launch. Only on PC, can you play your games offline for up to 30 days before needing to re-connect online.  

As far as not being able to launch games you own offline, while your console is configured as your Home Xbox, this could be a bug and should be reported using the Xbox Insider Hub so that the engineers that work on this, will be made aware of this and produce a patch or fix with most haste.

I'm sorry about any confusion or turmoil this might have caused.

I am on Alpha Skip Ahead so maybe it is a bug. This never happened before I got Game Pass.

Also that clarifies things a lot more, thanks. I don't think it is specified well enough that the 30 day rule is on PC only on the Game Pass FAQs.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Saiyan

Thank you for taking the time to reply to this thread.

As there is no further information that we can provide to you on this matter, we will now be locking this thread.

If you have any other questions or concerns that differ from this matter, please, feel free to create a new thread and we will cater to you there.

Thank you for being part of the Xbox Family, and we wish you a wonderful day!

XBF Eladio M
Microsoft Agent
Xbox Forums Moderator
"Courage is doing what you are afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you are scared. – Eddie Rickenbacker." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 10, 2024 Views 2,308 Applies to: