Cannot set new series x console to home

Hi I have seen this issue in a few threads with no resolve. I have 2 consoles, my personal and my sons. I have a series x and I just upgraded my sons console from an original XboxOne to the series X. I was game sharing to their console with the Xbox one, and I was able to set their console as the main home console so I could game share with them. After the upgrade I tried to make the series x the new home. When trying to do this, the screen just spins when trying to mark the checkbox, no screen comes up the spinning circle just goes away and the box stays unchecked. I we t back my original xboxonex and noticed I still had game share priviledges but went to check to see if my main profile was set to home, and it wasn't, however my profile was still eligible to gameshare on it, I we t to make my home xbox to see if I could remove the priviledge and the option wasn't even checked. I couldn't even add it due to the same error, just loading and no result. I have reset the older console that WAS set to home (xboxone). I have reset the newer series X also. Neither option work...the reset was a hard reset.

So again, neither my main or my sons (game share) console are able to be set to home

The error I recieve is a circular loading icon that loads when trying to check the box, and nothing happens, even when going to learn more option. I cannot see how many switches I have left, I should have mentioned since I've never done it outside of the 1 time.

Under learn more I see the following

-what is a home xbox

-choose a home xbox

-how switching works

That's it

Other steps tried:

Hard resets on all consoles (the xboxone is now out of the picture after the hard reset)

I've tried clearing the cache, turning off the console for over 10 seconds and unplugging it

Changing networks

Changing the name on my account

Make sure all consoles were updated

I tried reaching out to xbox support Twitter and they only give me 1 generic response a day.

Is there anything that can be done outside of the generic script response microft is employees are told to ask? I've been through all of these already.

EDIT:

Last step I just also tried was going to settings>system>console info> developer settings > reset home console

Same result

Greetings Royalhighn3ss,

Sorry to hear about your issues with the Home Xbox system. Let's see if we can help you out.

After reading through your notes above, I might have something for you to try.

Login to your account online at the Microsoft Account page. Once in, click the Devices tab at the top. Your home console is listed at the top of the page and has an option of "This i s not my home console" just below the system icon. Click that option and confirm the selection on the next page. This will remove the system as your home console and allow you to set any other console as your home system.

Please keep in mind you can only change your home console up to 5 times in a year.

Hope this helps and happy gaming!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have tried this option after you suggested. I see my 3 xbox's listed. However nothing mentions anything of a home device. I cannot remove or add anything as a home device. Only selections are:

See details

See learning and help

Remove device

Register (for warranty)

I called xbox support last week and they said someone would reach back out within 24-48 hours. About 4 days have passed and still no callback. Terrible support, no one can rectify this issue

Meanwhile my kids can't really utilize their console.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So here is a snip of what you should see on that page for your home console

If you don't see that 3rd option, then it usually indicates that this device is not your home console. If you're not seeing it on the page at all, then it looks like the console was removed and nothing is registered as your home console yet.

A temporary work around for right now would be to have the account that owns the licenses for the games the users want to play, be signed in but not active. Just kind of sitting in the background. You should still be able to sign into another console but might run into complications when attempting to play the same games on the different systems.

Have you tried removing all user profiles off the console you want as your home except for the profile that will claim that Xbox as the home system? Then attempt to register it as a home console and add the other profiles back?

Let me know if this works. I am continuing to look into this further on my end.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As you can see, on none of the three consoles this option exists. I am aware of the work around. But what kind of solution is that when my kids want to play online along with myself. This is a terrible option. Support kept trying to blame it on my network....HOW?! This is something that isn't showing in my account. Even though I switched networks nothing changes. I've tried hard resetting all consoles and no, nothig works.. I've been on the phone with support since then, again. Neither time they were successful, and both times they said I'd recieve a callback after escalation. You think that ever happened? Terrible support

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

And to follow up,even tho no device may not be my home console currently, which is most likely the case. My issue is, again, I am unable to set anything to the home console.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 29, 2022 Views 54 Applies to: