Can a USB shortcut virus infect game consoles?

Sorry if this has been asked or qualifies as a "lame question" but can something like a USB stick shortcut virus infect a game console like the Series X?

I understand that the dreaded shortcut virus is a combination of a Trojan and worm but it was designed to infect computers, phones and laptops... Not game consoles, is that right?

I format my usb stick every time before downloading something on it and then plug it directly into my console to access video and audio files via the Media Player app... Am I safe from the virus?

There's mixed answers on Google so I'd like to hear some firsthand accounts.

On a side note, the Xbox one/Series consoles have a different file system so I don't think a usb virus can breach the console's system files or OS in any way, or cause performance/operation issues - can it?

Answer
Answer

however sometimes some USB stick that is not good, can electrically harm the console hindering its performance, as if the console is trying to read the information they have inside it but can not.

No, that's not possible at all a faulty or even poor quality USB Flash drive can not damage a console electronically or electrically. The power used by USB is too small. This person is already worried about viruses, this will just increase their irrational fear/s.

Xbox consoles are locked down, they can not read/executable files/programs not designed for the Xbox Operating System. You can't get a virus via either the internet, the Xbox browser, storage devices other users or games. It just not possible, don't worry about it.

If you keep formatting your flash drives they'll eventually stop working. There really is no need to keep doing this.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Hello, first it's a pleasure to be able to help you today.
My name is Georges C. welcome to the community.

Hello Speedster996, with regard to viruses for Xbox one be it that any generation, it is not possible for the console to catch a virus.

As much as the console's operating system is a Windows 10, it's completely closed and modified, unlike a Windows you'll have on your PC.

In the case of USB stiks, they can pass some virus to the PC, if they have been infected, on Xbox this will not happen, however sometimes some USB stick that is not good, can electrically harm the console hindering its performance, as if the console is trying to read the information they have inside it but can not.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 13, 2024 Views 401 Applies to: