Age of Empires Definitive Edition crashes on launch

As the topic says: Age of Empires Definitive Edition crashes on launch with event id 10010. 

The server Microsoft.MSDallas_1.3.5172.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe!App did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Case ID: 1418853763

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi!

You seem to have permission problems. Try following these instructions:
- Click "Start" and type dcomcnfg (in search bar), and press Enter;
- Expand "Componet Services\Computers";
- Right click on "My Computer";
- Select "Properties";

In the "Default Distributed COM Communication Properties" section (Default Properties tab), make sure that:
- Default Authentication Level is set to Connect;
- Default Impersonation Level is set to Identify.

DominumStige
Xbox Ambassador since 2016

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi there Egerborn.

In addition to what DominumStige said, if you're still experiencing trouble with Age of Empires Definitive Edition crashing upon launch, please try a full uninstall and reinstall of the game. This was suggested by the official Age of Empires team via this tweet when they became aware of this issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi!

You seem to have permission problems. Try following these instructions:
- Click "Start" and type dcomcnfg (in search bar), and press Enter;
- Expand "Componet Services\Computers";
- Right click on "My Computer";
- Select "Properties";

In the "Default Distributed COM Communication Properties" section (Default Properties tab), make sure that:
- Default Authentication Level is set to Connect;
- Default Impersonation Level is set to Identify.

Sorry for the late reply, been quite busy with work and family.

I've now checked and both these values are already set to Connect and Identify

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there Egerborn.

In addition to what DominumStige said, if you're still experiencing trouble with Age of Empires Definitive Edition crashing upon launch, please try a full uninstall and reinstall of the game. This was suggested by the official Age of Empires team via this tweet when they became aware of this issue.

I've already reinstalled the game twice, which should not be needed, as it is super slow when you're on a 24mbit DSL connection.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've already reinstalled the game twice, which should not be needed, as it is super slow when you're on a 24mbit DSL connection.

Thank you for providing us with an update on that and we're sorry to hear you're still experiencing trouble launching Age of Empires: Definitive Edition. While we recognize you have already tried a full uninstall and reinstall of the game, please make sure you have tried all the troubleshooting steps in the Support FAQ from the Age of Empires team.

If that does not help, you may also want to create a post in their official support forums for further guidance on the specific launch issue you're currently seeing.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

While we recognize you have already tried a full uninstall and reinstall of the game, please make sure you have tried all the troubleshooting steps in the Support FAQ from the Age of Empires team.

I looked it over, and noticed one option I hadn't tried yet, moving it to another drive. This got me further, the game windows is now open longer.

However, during the move, the following error messages appeared in the event viewer:

Failed with 0x490 modifying AppModel Runtime status for package Microsoft.StorePurchaseApp_11803.1001.8.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe for user DESKTOP-EJ5NR2K\KingKong (current status = 0x0, desired status = 0x20).

Failed with 0x490 modifying AppModel Runtime status for package Microsoft.MSDallas_1.3.5314.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe for user SYSTEM (current status = 0x0, desired status = 0x20).

Failed with 0x490 modifying AppModel Runtime status for package Microsoft.MSDallas_1.3.5314.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe for user DESKTOP-EJ5NR2K\KingKong (current status = 0x0, desired status = 0x20).

Failed with 0x490 modifying AppModel Runtime status for package Microsoft.MSDallas_1.3.5292.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe for user SYSTEM (current status = 0x0, desired status = 0x20).

Failed with 0x490 modifying AppModel Runtime status for package Microsoft.WindowsStore_11803.1001.8.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe for user DESKTOP-EJ5NR2K\KingKong (current status = 0x0, desired status = 0x20).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

While we recognize you have already tried a full uninstall and reinstall of the game, please make sure you have tried all the troubleshooting steps in the Support FAQ from the Age of Empires team.

I looked it over, and noticed one option I hadn't tried yet, moving it to another drive. This got me further, the game windows is now open longer.

However, during the move, the following error messages appeared in the event viewer:

Failed with 0x490 modifying AppModel Runtime status for package Microsoft.StorePurchaseApp_11803.1001.8.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe for user DESKTOP-EJ5NR2K\KingKong (current status = 0x0, desired status = 0x20).

Failed with 0x490 modifying AppModel Runtime status for package Microsoft.MSDallas_1.3.5314.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe for user SYSTEM (current status = 0x0, desired status = 0x20).

Failed with 0x490 modifying AppModel Runtime status for package Microsoft.MSDallas_1.3.5314.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe for user DESKTOP-EJ5NR2K\KingKong (current status = 0x0, desired status = 0x20).

Failed with 0x490 modifying AppModel Runtime status for package Microsoft.MSDallas_1.3.5292.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe for user SYSTEM (current status = 0x0, desired status = 0x20).

Failed with 0x490 modifying AppModel Runtime status for package Microsoft.WindowsStore_11803.1001.8.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe for user DESKTOP-EJ5NR2K\KingKong (current status = 0x0, desired status = 0x20).

Thank you for trying those steps as well as the additional info. In this case, since you just worked through Step 9 of the Support FAQ we sent to you earlier, let's have you Report the Issue to the Age of Empires DE team by following those steps as they may be able to provide further clarification on what you're seeing.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for trying those steps as well as the additional info. In this case, since you just worked through Step 9 of the Support FAQ we sent to you earlier, let's have you Report the Issue to the Age of Empires DE team by following those steps as they may be able to provide further clarification on what you're seeing.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, I've done this, and nothing seems to be working. any other ideas? thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have uninstall and installed 4 times, on 1 computer and same issue, crassh on opening.

and on another computer, it wont even download.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 4, 2023 Views 11,197 Applies to: