Adding XBox Live to a Child Account

Hello,

I'm a bit of a newbie to XBox.  We recently got an XBox One for my kids and I'm having difficulty adding XBox Live to their accounts.  I went into settings and have it set to ask a parent, but when I try to purchase on their child account it says "You need a Parent to Buy this"  "we can't send a request".  Isn't it supposed to send a request for me to approve the purchase.  I can't seem to figure out how to purchase and apply to my child's account.

Please let me know if I'm possibly missing a step or having something incorrectly set up in my settings.

Thanks

Only a parent using the Microsoft family service can change Xbox privacy and online safety settings for a child account. If you're having trouble changing your child's settings, make sure your Microsoft account is a parent account in a Microsoft family. See whether you're a child or an adult in a family by signing in at account.microsoft.com/family. To change your child's settings:

• Sign in to the Xbox settings page with the parent’s Microsoft account. You may be asked to verify that you're the account owner. If you're having issues signing in to a Microsoft account, go to Microsoft account help.
  • Choose the gamertag for your child's account. If you want to update the privacy and online safety settings for the parent or adult account, choose that gamertag instead. 
  • Select theXbox One/Windows 10 Online Safety tab or the Privacy tab, review the settings currently in place and then update those you want to change.
  • Select Save before leaving or switching to another tab. If you don't save the changes before you move to the other tab, your changes won't be saved.
  • Have your child sign in and sign out of their account to make the changes take effect. 
Game ON!

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Unfortunately this just doesn't seem to be working for me.  

- I checked the settings and I'm the adult

- I added a gift card to my child's account

- I checked his settings on xbox and it has ask a parent "on"

- when he goes to purchase xbox live it says - you need a parent to buy this.

I do not know how to purchase xbox live for him.  He should just be able to purchase with the gift card that I applied.

I'm sorry - I'm just struggling here.

Please let me know.

thanks

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you made sure he is seen as a CHILD to YOUR Parent account?  This does not auto happen if I recall right and you have to make a family group. 

Click me

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Please go to https://account.microsoft.com/family, sign in with your parent account, and check that your kid's Microsoft Account is added into your family. 

When you say you have a gift card, is that card a Gift Card for Xbox Live Gold, or is that a currency gift card?

Is your kid able to go to https://account.microsoft.com/services/ and check their subscription status and purchase the Gold subscription?

Did my post help you? Please click on "Yes" below or choose it as the answer to your problem. Thanks! (ᵔᴥᵔ)

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, if you have given a gift card to put money into the child account, this can not be used to purchase Xbox Live.

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, 

Seems like the child might not be in your family on Xbox. You can check by signing into your account in xbox.com clicking your profile pic and clicking account > Family.

If your child is added there is a hang up and cant request for some reason. It doesnt happen all the time. 

Should be able to raise the privacy on his account a little just enough so you can buy it on his account and not need permission. And change it back to where he does. I have the same issue with my daughter account from time to time doing the same issue. That's my only work around. 

Joc Holliday Slayer King Founder

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You can add funds to there account too and have them buy Xbox Live that way. They won't be eligible for any promotional things happening though since a credit card is required

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

An easier solution would be to add Xbox Live Gold to your parent account and then set your Xbox One as your "Home" Xbox in the console settings.  This will allow anyone to use it all the benefits of Gold.  So all kids would have the ability to play online.

Now if you have more than one Xbox in your house then it just depends on who is using them.  For example, I have an Xbox in my office and use to have one upstairs for my kids.  I had Xbox Live Gold and would set the upstairs system is my "Home Xbox" so my kids could use it all they want.  Then since Gold attaches to your gamertag and the home system, I could still play on my office xbox and even play games with them.  No one else could use my office xbox though.

If you have two kids and two xbox systems.  Then buy gold for one kid and have them log into the second system and set it as their "Home Xbox" and now both kids enjoy Gold off one purchase.

The same works for Game Pass and Digital Games, they all come with a license for one gamertag and then a second license for that gamertag's Home Xbox. 

36 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This anwer isn't helpful.  The OP is pretty specific in their question (i have the same one) and these steps suggested by M3tal Daz3 doesn't address this issue.

38 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there    

I’m sorry to hear about any issues you may be having. If you haven’t already, please go ahead and make a new thread detailing your issue and any troubleshooting steps (if any) you’ve tried so far. That way we can tailor our support specifically to you! 

Best wishes,
-L ᕦ {≷• ܫ•≶}ᕤ

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 27, 2021 Views 36,061 Applies to: