With all the information coming out over these past couple days (which has resulted in several topics), I thought it would be a good idea to try and condense the news into one topic. Hopefully the formatting works well, and everything is fairly easy to follow.
Section 1 - Microsoft's e3 press conference:
- The Outer Worlds - Launching with Xbox Game Pass
- Ninja Theory's new game Bleeding Edge, which is also coming to Game Pass at launch. A technical alpha begins in two weeks (June 27)
- Keanu Reeves came out to announce he's in Cyberpunk 2077, and the game is releasing April 20, 2020
- Xbox Games Pass for PC launching today. Game Pass Ultimate includes Xbox Live Gold, Xbox Game Pass, and Xbox Game Pass for PC.
- Microsoft purchases Double Fine Productions, and they are currently working on Psychonauts 2.
- The Elite Controller 2.0 announced.
- Some more details about xCloud (being able to use your Xbox One to stream games to your devices for free)
- New console officially announced (Project Scarlett)Coming Holiday 2020.
- Halo Infinite is launch title for Project Scarlett, and it will also play on the Xbox One family of devices.
The Outer Worlds - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yijkEeUmx0
Bleeding Edge - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpU8kyX6ae0
Ori and the Will of the Wisps - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2reK8k8nwBc
Minecraft Dungeons - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0yh51p9P80
Jedi Fallen Order - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht5PLssvtCk
Blair Witch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhaDPDf-xsM
Cyberpunk 2077 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIcTM8WXFjk
Spiritfarer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnuEvePlxWI
Battletoads - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyJI_uFRZSY
RPG Time: The Legend of Wright - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I9WK1-7PA8
ID@Xbox games - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAuEmR6EZB0
Game Pass for PC - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52fvz84Q2-g
Microsoft Flight Simulator - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReDDgFfWlS4
Age of Empires 2 DE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOgBVR21pWg
Wasteland 3 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCXdCjpBVA8
Psychonauts 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV3LGhgDQbc
Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPddKstmWFs
Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4COJsvR9wc
12 Minutes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ2vsnapBhU
Way to the Woods - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM690dmXr8o
Gears 5 - new game mode (Escape) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErqsgG0HRR8
Elite Controller V2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYVw0KqQiOI
Dying Light 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1_7wjuzqwI
Forza Horizon 4 - Lego Speed Champions (2nd expansion) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cASCytz8o9g
Gears Pop! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY_bt-DiW_I
State of Decay 2 - Heartland DLC - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhbhXNNxW7s
Phantasy Star Online 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EeiW_FYUEc
Crossfire X - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq-wlu2pwdw
Tales of Arise - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltVgvd-Me6A
Borderlands 3 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTnYksXt7Xg
Elden Ring - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lls6Gdua_XY
Project Scarlett - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ktN4bycj9s
Halo: Infinite - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtgzKBrU1GY
For anyone that wants to watch the whole conference, they can do so here - https://youtu.be/ixdUEbOI-38
Section 2 - Announcements made after e3
Inside Xbox revealed the final wave of backward compatibility announcements for Xbox One, as the engineering team that brought one of the most beloved Xbox One features to life moves on to ensure your Xbox One library is backward compatible on Project Scarlett.
The team announced eight new original Xbox game entries into the backward compatibility catalogue: Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell, Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow, Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell: Double Agent, Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict, Armed and Dangerous, Indiana Jones and the Emperor’s Tomb, and Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy.
The newly announced Xbox 360 backward compatibility titles are Asura’s Wrath, Battlefield 2: Modern Combat, Enchanted Arms, Far Cry Classic, Far Cry Instinct Predator, Infinite Discovery, Peter Jackson’s King Kong: The Official Movie of the Game, Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands, Skate, Star Ocean, Super Puzzle Fighter Turbo, The Syndicate, Unreal Tournament 3, and Too Human, which is available right now for free in the Microsoft Store.
Finally, eight Rare classics have received the Xbox One X Enhanced treatment:
Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts,
Kameo: Elements of Power, Perfect Dark and Perfect Dark Zero.
The team also announced some exciting new updates coming to Gamertags! First, you’ll now be able to use character scripts to represent over 200 languages, with even more support coming in the future. This means you can use characters native to your own language in your Gamertag.
You’ll also be able to now select any name you like for your Gamertag. If someone else has selected the same Gamertag, you’ll be assigned a 3-4 digit ID suffix separate you from those that have chosen the same Gamertag.
Finally, if you like your current Gamertag, nothing changes. Yours will always be the original version of that Gamertag and will not include a numerical suffix. For all the details on the coming updates to Gamertags, check out the blog post here.
Phil Spencer announced the return of our global celebration of all things Xbox, with X019 slated for November 2019 in London. The event will be filled with news, first looks and plenty of surprises, all kicking off with the biggest Inside Xbox episode of the year. Thousands of fans will join in person, and we’ll have more details on how to participate in X019 at gamescom in August.
Game Pass Ultimate
Game Pass Ultimate, the combination of Xbox Live, Game Pass, and Game Pass for PC in one subscription, has a promotion going at the moment to upgrade your existing membership(s) to Ultimate for $1.
Apparently the $1 Game Pass Ultimate promotional upgrade is only available until June 30th:
"Thank you for watching the E3 2019 Xbox Briefing on Mixer! You have received your free MixPot rewards: the Gems of War Dwarven Avatar Pack (see in-game to use), the World of Warships: Legends – E3 2019 Combat Pack (see 'My Games and Apps' section to install and play), and the Trove E3 2019 Pack (see 'My Games and Apps' section to install and play)."
Section 3 - Interviews:
Appearing on Giant Bomb's livestream, Jeff Gerstmann sat down with Phil Spencer to ask him questions about various aspects of the Xbox brand (Project Scarlett, Xcloud, e3, etc.)
- Phil Spencer wishes for players to be able to buy Halo: Infinite (or other games) for Xbox One and use that copy to play on Scarlett with the improved experience without the need of buying a new copy.
- He says there is no official name for Project Scarlett yet, and states there is no plan for Scarlett to be the last console from Microsoft.
- Phil believes the best way to play game for years to come is natively on a home console / PC. He talks about how the Xbox team looks at trends / adoption rates of certain things like 4K TVs when deciding the proper time for hardware innovation. At this point, he talks about how they could probably have launched the One X a year earlier, but it wouldn't have been the True 4K console they were aiming for. That was the focus then, now it's about delivering a console with a balance between the GPU and CPU that has never been seen before on consoles.
- Jeff and Phil talk a bit about Xcloud. Jeff mentions he had a great experience playing Halo 5 on the floor after the e3 conference.
- When discussing e3, he basically says it's one of the best times in gaming because this is the time of the year when all the companies get together, which gets the attention of the mainstream media. Additionally, Phil states e3 is not as good without Sony and Activition. He thinks it's an important time for the game companies to stand together, especially since the World Health Organization is looking at "Gaming Disorders / addiction"
- At one point Phil jokes about wishing he could sell Too Human (but there were obviously issues), and as a result, they gave it away for free instead.
- He looks at video games as an art form; compares older games with listening to Led Zeppelin, and suggests that older games live on, which is why he pushes for backwards compatibility (Phil says he wants to respect the purchases people made, and saw going from 360 to One as a disconnect since games could not be carried forward at launch).
- Phil goes on to mention how he doesn't want one companies successes to come at the hands of another companies failures. His vision would be for all the companies to sell more consoles than they have ever done before. With that said, he wants Scarlett to be #1; for example, if it sold 150 million and the PS5 sold 149,999,999.
- His trips to Japan and talks with Sega led to Phantasy Star Online 2 coming to Xbox One in North America. During this part, he does hint that the game may come to other platforms eventually.
And here is another interview with Phil Spencer, this one is with Tom Warren from The Verge.
here is a pre-e3 interview with Phil Spencer on Major Nelson's podcast:
Jez Corden's interview with Mike Ybarra: