0x800701b1 in Gaming Services UI when launching Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

This was originally covered on the MS Flight Sim Forums here and I opened Zendesk Ticket 152992 and 155947 with the Flight Simulator team to try and solve this. Ultimately they suggested I contact Microsoft as I was at the end of what support they could provide.

For those searching for this issue, my current work around is to disable my wifi while the Gaming Services UI splash screen is running and then to re-enable it once the actual game starts.

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this. I'm going to copy/paste what has been done so far to try and cover those bases and not start all over with the simple things.

After the March Sim update I see a new (to me) launch screen then receive the following error (After a lot of research I learn that this is "Gaming Services UI"):

In the bottom right it shows “Signing in” then “Checking for updates” then nothing and this error.

To remedy I have :

• Running as Administrator

• Cleared the community folder

• Performed a repair in apps settings

• Performed a reset in apps settings

• Uninstalled and reinstalled to the dedicated disk

• Uninstalled and reinstalled to a different disk

• Signed out of Store and Xbox apps, rebooted and signed back in

• Signed into a different Microsoft account that owns a copy of MSFS

• Performed WSReset

• Removed and Reinstalled Gaming Services

• Launching with only mouse and keyboard connected.

• Reviewed everything posted in the other thread with this error: FS Re-Installation Fails With Code: 0x800701B1 on Windows / MS Store Version - Bug Reports / Install, Performance & Graphics - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums 1

• Switching from wired to wireless

• Disabled windows firewall

• Logged into windows under a different profile that also owns Microsoft Flight Simulator.

• Disabled Real-time protection

On March 26th the issue disappeared without any further action from me.

A little over a week ago, the issue returned:

I ran through all the troubleshooting steps provided by Zendesk as well as moving the sim from drive to drive. Uninstalling, reinstalling, everything I could think of.

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015760660-Microsoft-Store-Download-Installation-issues-Checklist
https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/4405345181202-Microsoft-Store-Download-and-Installation-issues-Basic-Troubleshooting
https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/4405340433042-Microsoft-Store-Download-and-Installation-issues-Advanced-Troubleshooting

I’ve been able to narrow it down to a combination of Xbox game launcher and FS2020 on this particular machine as it does not reproduce on another machine it’s installed on and Forza launches just fine.

(Funny enough, some Forza users are having this same issue FH5 crashes on launch with error code 0x800701b1 : ForzaHorizon (reddit.com) and Forza Horizon 5 starts the game and reports an error - Microsoft Community)

I was finally able to work around it on Sunday by turning off my Wi-Fi during the initial Xbox game services UI splash screen and then enabling it once the actual game launched. However, I’d really like to have it fully fixed and not have to do these extra steps. (This also worked for the Forza users above)

Asobo/Zendesk finally told me that the troubleshooting is beyond their scope and I need to open a case with Microsoft.

I presume it has something to do with some data stuck somewhere and the error message has less to do with a physical drive and more to do with a location it’s trying to read or write to.

I'm sure there are steps I've tried along the way and I'll try and cover those when they come up.

I'm fairly experienced with PC troubleshooting so if someone from Microsoft wanted to reach out to me directly I would be glad to provide any extra logging or information needed to get to the bottom of this.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I think it's worth adding here the fact that flight simulator is showing in the Xbox app as trying to be installed - 123Gb worth. In fact there are 2 flight sims showing - 1 for the basic edition and the other for the premium deluxe which I bought. There are download progress bars that don't move and there's a remark "something went wrong" on both. They're both 123Gb.

Funny enough, The same app shows where the sim is installed.

I'm not a programmer but I think somebody made a mistake.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Worth mentioning are in my xbox app 2 flight simulator icons trying to be installed at 123Gb each. They are stalled with a message "something went wrong"

The very same app recognises where fs is installed!!

The basic version and premium deluxe versions. Both stalled. I bought the premium deluxe from the MS store

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I may found a hint for the Problem.

I just had a call with a friend who has no problems with MSFS. We discovered, he has a different version of GaminServices.

He has an older version and Windows still didn´t show him an update to the version I have. He is on Win11.

Mine: Windows 10

His (But he´s on Windows 11)

Edit: I just updated to Win11 in an act of desperation... But nope - Same error and still same GS-Version. I think this is the root cause.

According to the Website, this new GS version was released on April 19th. Seems that some people got it, some not. Please check your version of GS. Would be interesting to see if all people with this error have this new version of GS.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I know about the Thread there - It´s the same Thream Owner here and there.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So try my solution.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the new GS version. So, how does one with win 10 latest updates get the GS version that's working?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

One more question. Is this only happening to insiders? I don't know if I am or not. How do I check if I am and, if I am, how to stop being an insider??

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

POTENTIAL SOLUTION:

I uninstalled the Standard Edition of MSFS and installed the 'game of the year edition' which resolved me issues. Could someone else try this?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I seem to have fixed my version of this issue whilst checking the Xbox app, on the MSFS page I saw that digital ownership has been uninstalled for some reason, Installed digital ownership and boom, MSFS is launching normally again without having to do the dumb wifi off work around.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 7, 2023 Views 1,166 Applies to: