Minecraft Is No Longer Working After Being Updated

TL;DR I tried to update the disc version of Minecraft and it doesn't work at all anymore, even when I delete, re-install, or play offline.

We bought the Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition disc version. It worked fine when we played it in the car or at hotels, disconnected from the internet. However, since it was the disc version it came without all of the title updates. When I connected the Xbox to our network at home and to Xbox Live, I was prompted to install a system update. I did so and that went smoothly. Then I was prompted to install an update for the game when I started it up, which I did. The update downloaded and installed, but when it finished and went on to the game, it gave me a message that went, "Game Error: The game couldn't start. Try downloading the game again. For more help, visit www.xbox.com/support."

I tried loading the game again, and got a slightly different message. "Loading Error: 'Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition' has failed to load and cannot continue."

I've deleted the title update file from "Storage" under "Settings" and tried to load the game. I've deleted the title update file and the content cache file and tried to load the game. I've deleted the title update file and the content cache file and used the "Clear System Cache" option in "Device Options", and tried to load the game. I've also done all these things and restarted the console before attempting to load the game. I've re-installed the title update after doing all of the above and tried to load the game. I've tried all of the above both online. I've tried it offline, in the car, the same way it was set up when it worked. I always get one of the above two messages. I haven't noticed a concrete pattern in which message shows when, but the "Loading Error" shows up more often, and the "Game Error" usually only shows up after I've just finished installing the update. Once I got a "Disc Error" which said the disc was unreadable, but I checked the disc and it's fine, and it never showed up again.

Details: 

We own the Xbox 360 E. When we played in the car we used an HDMI cable. When it's connected at home, we use the A/V cable that came with the console. We don't have an Xbox Live subscription, just the basic free service. The errors always show up after the first screen which is a picture of a sandstone tower next to a river with a castle and a forest in the background, and before any of the developer/producer logos. It's just a black screen in the background. We bought the disc version of Minecraft, but never purchased the Arcade version from the Arcade store. Both versions still show up in "My Games" when the disc is in. We play the game from the disc, I think. I've looked at how to install or delete disc games to and from the hard drive, but we don't have a "Hard Drive" in "Storage". There's only two "Storage Devices", one which I know is the USB stick plugged in the back(it has 30 free gigs), and one which I have no idea what it is(it says it's unformatted). Every time I install the title update, I install it to the formatted, 30 open gigs one. I also don't have an "Install" option on either of the two Minecraft's in "My Games". One only has a "Play Game" option and nothing else at all, and the Arcade one has all the other tabs, info, pictures, pin and rate options, etc.

Possibly Related Issues:

We only have Moderate NAT. However, I don't see how this is an issue, since we don't play anything more than the local co-op, and the game still doesn't work when played offline.

We set up to Xbox with the A/V cable instead of HDMI at home. Minecraft requires the Xbox to be in HD mode before you can play local co-op. However, it shouldn't prevent the game from doing anything else, like loading. I've tried playing it with the HDMI cable in the car again anyways, and it still didn't work. (Our TV doesn't have and HDMI input. On a related note, I read somewhere that the A/V cable is supposed to allow for HD mode, too. Do I need to buy a separate, special cable besides the one that came with the Xbox or something?)

Another game, Toy Story 3, hasn't been working. However, it's never worked since we bought it, and it freezes when it initially loads, and doesn't give any errors. Other games have worked fine, so I don't think it's a universal problem.

Like I said, we don't have a Hard Drive, just a reformatted USB stick. We also have that weird unformatted thing. I don't have any option to install games to the hard drive, but I do get to install the update to the USB stick. It also says I could install it to the unformatted device, but it will overwrite everything on there. I haven't tried that option.

That's about it. I've tried everything I can think of, I've followed the directions for re-installing the update as closely as I can, I've looked into all the related Support topics, but most of them don't even apply to me since we play it from the disc and for some reason can't install it to the hard drive. The only thing I haven't tried is the "Initial Setup" option under "Settings", which I assume is essentially a factory reset. I may not be able to do that, since it needs the parental control PIN, and the person who made ours can't remember it and didn't write it down. Sorry for making such a long post. I've already spent a lot of time on this before I came here, and had a lot of info. Thank you in advance for your help.

Never mind, I think I found the problem. It's a laser burn from moving the console around with the disk in it, appearing as a thin ring just inside the outer edge of the disk, which is why I missed it before. What a waste of time all that was for a damaged disk. The thread I found related to this says that GameStop fixes this for $15. The problem has been discovered, but I would still appreciate if someone could verify this or tell me another, possibly cheaper way to fix this. We don't have any GameStop's anywhere nearby.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello, i also have this problem after updating but it occurs slightly different. I will be playing a world and thdn the failed to load error shows up. I think its an update issue but would like to see the lazer burns to make sure i don't have that problem too.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Try some game's retailler in your region sometime the repair is more cheap than gamestop…

Or check if the digital game is more cheaper than the repair itself…

Regards,

Wishcatcher
Xbox Ambassador since 2013

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 4, 2022 Views 1,291 Applies to: