Halo 5: Guardians Disc Swap, why would collectors want a code?

I today spent $750 on Halo 5 Guardians Xbox One and Halo 5:guardians collectors edition, However the only reason I did this is because I knew I could swap out the digital codes for  physical copies. After 3 hours of sitting on my computer talking to customer service, it seemed that this was a terrible idea. Who in MS decided collectors want a digital code? We don't and stop this immediately.

We are collectors, meaning we like to collect physical products, not come home and sit on the computer for hours on end. This was being extremely cheap and treating collectors as if we are not worth the extra cost of a physical game. MS this is why you lost so much market share, you tried to do DRM and people felt cheated, these ideas need to stop.

If you do this ever again I and many others will stop buying collectors editions, we want the physical game? The customer service was nice but the process was slow. I also had to give up all sorts of information, including my 2 Consoles Serial Numbers, Gamer tags, emails, phone numbers and the code to my Digital copy that I didn't want in the first place. Not only that I had to retrieve codes to repeat back, what a mess. Lucky my Fiance' has a Xbox One, a Gamer tag or I would have only been able to retrieve one

So I hope MS learned some sort of lesson today, I'm sure many complained and contacted support for their physical copy. You charged an extra $100 for the Halo Xbox one bundle, when I can get a solid state drive with a terabyte and better controller for $499. So in the long run I feel cheated and not sure why it was above $450.

MS please don't pull this ever again or I will not be a collector of anything Xbox again .  My gamer room is packed with collector edition products from the original Xbox, to Xbox 360 and now Xbox one to name a small few.

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

Your lucky i tried exchanging mine for 24hrs getting told i only had the limited edition not the collectors edition i had to take photos of the code, the card the was off,  the statue and the reciept like i was a common thief then was told there was no such disc exchange program i only got it done once i asked for a manger and said id sue them im not at all impressed by the service i recieved and certinly wont buy another collectors edition without a disc from microsoft

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

I also bought the halo console but this might end up being my last

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also paid for the console version. I was chatting with microsoft support, like the WEBSITE said to do. The person on the chat told me I could not trade in the digital code since it was not a collectors edition. Why? I paid $250 more for my version, got this crappy metal earth figure(by the way these metal earth figures are annoying as he**), and you wont let me trade in my code? SERIOUSLY!? This is a bad way to show their "customer appreciation".

Good job, microsoft.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The Gamestop early release was bad enough...when I found out that I could swap my digital download code for a physical game I thought it would be a win...boy was I wrong.  After an hour with Rusty A. whom I'm not even sure spoke English in a chat session, it wasn't as easy as their own instructions stated...not only did they want the 25 digit code...the gamertag...email address..and mailing addrss...they wanted your full name...a receipt of the limited edition purchase...and as icing on the cake your console's serial number...none of which is detailed in the swap instructions.

Now I waited to get my xbox one specifically for the Halo 5 release and pre-ordered the new xbox one version with the hybrid drive.  However, they WILL NOT COMPLETE the disc swap without a console serial number registered to you and it must be an xbox one.  Fine.  But spell it out in the instructions before I waste an hour of my life....Another bait and switch.  This digital download mess is ridiculous especially with the size of these games!  who is going to pay if I bust data caps from my ISP...I have been with xbox since the beginning but now I feel like they are doing their best to screw folks over.  I also buy the collectors stuff for the physical items...after today I may not be doing that again.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I submitted my request last night (10/20/15) and I was surprised with all the requested information. Then I thought about people that may try some fraud bs and figured they were crossing all their T's & dotting all their I's. The only thing that killed me was the console serial number. Lol. Which you can just go to your settings to view it instead of moving the console to see it.

Tonight I chatted again just to confirm everything. Hey guys, these reps in the chat are only doing as they are trained and instructed to do. Be mad at MS Xbox division, not the reps doing there job. I thought both people were pleasant and respectful the entire chat.

At the end of the day, this was a vastly poor decision to include a download code in a collectors edition knowing *** well collectors want the physical game disc. I know this is them trying to avoid trade ins, but all of us don't trade it our games. Some of us... Wait for it.... Actually collect or games.

Anyways, can't wait to play the game next week. The rep said it would come in a retail game box and some lame sleeve. Let's hope that's the case or I'll be P'd off. :)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm pretty sure collectors don't keep the game cases open on their shelves so as the disks are exposed. Just saying.

By the way I think the point is to have the game in your Xbox (disc or digital) with you playing it, while the statue and case sit on the shelves. I don't think games are designed just so people can put disc in cases on their bookshelves.

I'm going to play the game at launch as soon as possible because I am a gamer. I got the LCE and console because I am a fan and collector. I got an extra game code among other codes I can give out to my friends. I'm a Halo fan and collector so don't bother saying that I could sell the game if it was physical, because I never have sold any of my Halo games and I don't plan on doing so.

I'm actually just going to buy most of my Games digitally from now on because it is far mor efficient and doesn't rely on having a physical disc that is liable to get damaged, scratched or lost. I can play games as soon as they go live, instead of having to drive to Gamestop at midnight, wait in line, drive home, install it, then play.

I think you are just turning this into a problem when it isn't one.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, so I redeemed the code and found out after redeeming it, I could have got the discs if I swapped the code for the physical copy of the game. I contacted Microsoft Customer Support and they repeatedly told me they can't do anything because the code is no longer active and can't be deactivated. This is BS! I paid $250 for a bundle pack that should have had the discs inside. They would have been great to display next to my other Halo games. Miscrosoft, fix this please and try to get the discs to the ones that actually want them and have brought their concern to you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

keep trying the support staff gents. I chatted with 2 of them and now my physical copy is on its way.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated August 18, 2021 Views 50 Applies to: