Xbox One upload packet loss--I have tried EVERYTHING

I feel like I am about to rip my hair out.  My Xbox One is consistently having packet loss.  Anywhere from 1-33%.  It fluctuates every single time. Usually above 10%.

I'm pretty knowledgeable with networking (well, I thought I was!) and I have tried everything.

Currently have the Xbox One sitting at a static ip address.  I have this IP address portforwarded into my router, which is a Dlink DIR-615.  Because of this, my NAT is OPEN.

And I still have upload packet loss.  Also, my upload speed on the Xbox One is always slow.  Like.60 when it should be around 2.30.

I have ZERO packet loss on any devices.  My computer, which is located close to the Xbox One has an upload packet loss of 0.  

I have tried putting my Xbox One into a DMZ zone (disabled port forwarding before I did that because you shouldnt have both running at once) and it did NOTHING.

UpNp is enabled.  I have tried everything.  Factory rest of my router.  DMZ, port fowarding, everything.  I have run out of ideas.

Does anybody have a fix for this?  i cant believe my $150 Xbox 360 runs silky smooth and my $500 Xbox One has this problem.  Absolutely maddening on so many levels.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

One more thing.  The modem I have is a Cisco DPC3825.  It is in bridged mode so the router can do all the work.

Could there be some sort of issue with that?  Grasping at straws.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi ryan211... this is also baffling me at the moment.  I have a theory, but I have no way to test at the moment.  Either one of two things is happening:  (a) the Detailed Network test is bogus or (b) the test tool is valid and packets are being discarded somewhere.  I went through this with MS and they are shipping me in advance a new console, however, I have this niggling suspicion that it is an MTU issue on my local network.  If I am right, the MTU the XB1 is getting (1480) is too high when IPv6 in IPv4 encapsulation is used with xbox live.  The packets are being fragmented and then discarded somewhere.  But I am no expert and no doubt someone out there can tell me where I am wrong.

So, what I am going to have to do to test this is borrow a cisco switch from work to allow me to configure my own MTU value on the XB1 interface (my crap 2wire router won't allow me to do this).

I would just chalk this up to a BS test tool and some vital piece of information that I am missing (like: 'just forget about using that dumb test tool'), but now I am bloody fixated on this upload packet loss.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

By the way, my friend has two xbox ones at home and he also reports.... drum roll please... 6% upload packet loss.  My next test that I have requested is from another friend who has an XB1 on a different ISP... still waiting to hear if he also has the same issue.  I'll update with information when I get it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm seeing the same issue and am wondering if this is an xbox one hdwr issue.  The pc's in my house don't report any packet loss when using something like pingtest.net.  I am experiencing lag in online play so something is going on but don't know where to start at.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, I'm about to answer this question.  Or so I hope.  I just got a replacement Xbox One in the mail today and I am downloading the updates as I type this.  After that I will run the detailed network test.  For some reason I have a very deep suspicion that the brand spankin' new XB1 will behave exactly the same way.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Nope... packet loss is NOT hardware related.  Next step will be to take my xbox to my friends house with Internet service through another company.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there... im on the same boat

My ISP is Sky Broadband and im using a sky hub sr101 which on 16meg in and 1meg out with a max delay of 8ms

Speedtest.net says ping is 32ms download 15.4meg and upload 0.9meg

My xbox advanced diagnostic tool says the following

178ms latency 6meg in and 0.6meg out with a packet loss of 18%

I have also tried opening all 7 ports / set a stactic ip / tried in DMZ

I have also tried the same on a D-link DSL 2640 and a SAGEM F@ST 2504 with the exact same setting and the results are pretty much the same...  I took my xbox to a friends house who is on a 120meg virgin media fibre optic line and we ran a test and this is what the resoults were

Latency 128ms 8meg In and 3meg out with 9% packet loss

Speedtest.net results show

Ping 24ms / 98meg download and 3.2meg upload

My mate 'was' going to get an xbox but when he saw these results he didn't bother

Im not happy at all since xbox live is a 'paid' service and we would expect alot better than what we are getting now

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Wow jefazz, 18% packet loss!!!???  That is worse than mine.  My ISP uses 2wire (2701HG-S).  I did a test today where I brought my XB1 to a friends house who is on FTTP (I am on DSL).  My xbox on his connection reported 1% packet loss versus 10% upload packet loss on my connection.

I have now got a replacement gateway from my ISP and I am going to see if this fixes the problem.  If not, I have on other option with my ISP (the 3800 from 2wire).  If that doesn't solve the issue, I'm going  to tell them to stuff their crap connection.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok I can say that I traced the problem to my ISP's garbage 2wire homenet gateway.  I managed to get my ISP to give me an older adsl modem (westell c90).  The girl at the cashier literally said, 'whoa I haven't seen one of these in a while! ' And I tried it connected directly to my XBOX 1 and also through my switches.  Both connections: 0% packet loss every time I tested it.  And actually I was getting closer to the download speed than with the 2wire.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

hey guys... i applied for the beta update and since then my packet loss has went to 0% packet loss and download now shows 13meg / upload now shows 0.8meg

so im guessing microsoft have tweaked their network settings ect.. i have noticed that on gaming it seems to respond alot quicker now.. esp on titanfall (yey)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 23, 2023 Views 2,537 Applies to: