Wireless Headsets on Xbox One

Hey all,

I've taken the unfortunate path of trying to find an easy-to-setup, quality wireless headset for the Xbox One (for <$149+Tax). This has resulted in purchasing 3 different pairs of headsets in last 3 days (returning 2 of them later). For those who have been researching and looking for a quality wireless headset that's compatible fresh off the shelf on Xbox One without spending $200+, best of luck. I've come to learn that the Xbox One has more barriers to these technologies than other common systems (PC/PS4). You'll also need to be aware that headsets these days require/recommend updates to get the most out of them, e.g. you need access to a computer if you want the best value from your product.

My first mistake was assuming that the Xbox One would be able to detect and use PC compatible headsets (some misleading advertising/articles helped this too). SO I ended up purchasing these three headsets:

- Corsair VOID RGB Wireless Gaming Headset ($99) 

- Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Wireless Headset ($129 sale)

- Arctis 7 Wireless Headset ($149)

The Corsair VOID RGB was pointless, as the wireless USB adapter is not recognized or compatible with Xbox One; they're super comfortable and feel like a premium product. The Turtle Beach Stealth 700 syncs directly to the Xbox, which is awesome. This is how you'd expect "wireless" to function, but after experiencing the quality material of the Corsair I still was not satisfied (I don't care for the feel of the Turtle Beach plastic or leather material). Then I purchased the Arctis 7 hoping to get the best of both (comfort & sound). 

Unfortunately, the Arctis 7 is not wireless for the Xbox One; again, it does not recognize/utilize the USB wireless receiver. It does plug into the Xbox One 3.5mm equipped controller, just like the standard Microsoft Chat Headsets & Stereo Headsets. What is extremely annoying is that the packaging for the Arctis 7 does not mention this anywhere; simply says "LAG-FREE WIRLESS GAMING HEADSET" with "windows - xbox - playstation - mobile - vr" beneath it. That's my main complaint with this headset, which I blame Microsoft for more than anyone else. How does the leading software giant fail to open a platform to standard PC-technology? PS4 recognizes many USB headsets wirelessly, including the Arctis 7. The whole process has been ridiculously annoying and I hope Xbox One receives a software update to support products like PC headsets. 

Had the Corsair's been usable, I wouldn't have purchased the other two headsets (it's a great device at a great price). I'd recommend Turtle Beach Stealth 700's if you're looking for a wireless headset that's great quality sound and has ease of use with Xbox One. I like to have bass & treble up; doing so makes the 700's boom with clarity. It does have Bluetooth & can be utilized with other devices as well. I just don't care for the feel of the plastic, feels gimmicky to me. Sound-wise after update/adjustment this headset is worth it.

I'm keeping the Arctis 7 headset in spite of Xbox One's inability to honor the devices wireless capabilities. The quality of material is superb, and its adjustable headband is perfect for finding a custom fit (headband is like that of snowboarding goggles). It plugs into the 3.5mm port of my controller, just like the Microsoft Stereo Headset but allows the ears to breath with its fabric earphones. The sound quality is great; the Turtle Beach 700's seem to have a higher capacity volume-wise (with Bass/Treble boost on) but Arctis 7 doesn't disappoint. It's a very balanced, sleek product that meets what I was looking for in a new headset (high quality sound plus comfort). It has the 7.1 Dolby for Windows & is compatible with Dolby Atmos on Xbox One (which I prefer over Stereo and/or Windows Sonic). 

If you don't need wireless or want it; save the money & get wired. Hopefully this helps someone out there looking for some info. Feel free to ask questions. The link below is good info to have considering headsets:

watch

Discussion Info

Last updated December 8, 2019 Views 2,054 Applies to:

"I'm keeping the Arctis 7 headset in spite of Xbox One's inability to honor the devices wireless capabilities."

- The issue is that the headset is not designed to work with the Xbox One. 

- It's up to the hardware/headset manufacturer to make the device compatible with the console

Compatibility (from their website)

PC / MAC / Playstation / VR / Mobile

https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-7

"I'm keeping the Arctis 7 headset in spite of Xbox One's inability to honor the devices wireless capabilities."

- The issue is that the headset is not designed to work with the Xbox One. 

- It's up to the hardware/headset manufacturer to make the device compatible with the console

Compatibility (from their website)

PC / MAC / Playstation / VR / Mobile

https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-7

I get what you're saying but my point is that Microsoft, being the creator of Xbox & Windows (the latter being the preferred OS for gaming), is ultimately responsible for failing to incorporate a broader range of support for wireless headsets in their console. The headset has zero problem connecting to my PC wirelessly through the USB unit. I don't think it'd require much effort on Microsoft's part to expand Xbox One's ability to do the same. One could enlighten me though. :)

I get what you're saying but my point is that Microsoft, being the creator of Xbox & Windows (the latter being the preferred OS for gaming), is ultimately responsible for failing to incorporate a broader range of support for wireless headsets in their console. The headset has zero problem connecting to my PC wirelessly through the USB unit. I don't think it'd require much effort on Microsoft's part to expand Xbox One's ability to do the same. One could enlighten me though. :)

You tell me which is more likely; A) Microsoft will buy every company that makes headsets and force them to make headsets based on their products (kinda like what apple did with Beats headsets) or B) Microsoft will provide each specific headset manufacturer that wants to make a headset for the Xbox One, the specific to make a wireless communication necessary to communicate for the Xbox One, as Microsoft has already done for numerous headset manufacturers.

If you want a wireless headset for your Xbox One, you can buy one right now. Just check with the headset manufacturer first. I doubt Sony is going to reach out to Microsoft/Xbox and say "Hey, we'd like to make a headset that works with your Xbox" but it's up to Sony to do that. Blaming Xbox for not working with brand "XYZ" headset doesn't seem feasible to me.

And in regards to PC headsets, well again, its the headset manufacturer that has to make their own drivers for their own headset to work on a PC.

You tell me which is more likely; A) Microsoft will buy every company that makes headsets and force them to make headsets based on their products (kinda like what apple did with Beats headsets) or B) Microsoft will provide each specific headset manufacturer that wants to make a headset for the Xbox One, the specific to make a wireless communication necessary to communicate for the Xbox One, as Microsoft has already done for numerous headset manufacturers.

If you want a wireless headset for your Xbox One, you can buy one right now. Just check with the headset manufacturer first. I doubt Sony is going to reach out to Microsoft/Xbox and say "Hey, we'd like to make a headset that works with your Xbox" but it's up to Sony to do that. Blaming Xbox for not working with brand "XYZ" headset doesn't seem feasible to me.

And in regards to PC headsets, well again, its the headset manufacturer that has to make their own drivers for their own headset to work on a PC.

Ryan S (SteelSeries Customer Care) Feb 26, 11:14 PM CST 

Hey,

Sorry for the confusion, as the Arctis 7 is only compatible on Xbox One by using the provided analog cable connected directly to your controller. The USB wireless transmitter will not be used at all on Xbox since it is not compatible. This is unfortunately due to limitations of the Xbox One and using USB for chat. 

Regards,

Ryan S
SteelSeries Support

If Microsoft/Xbox want to continue being competitive, they'll do everything they can to make their platform the most attractive & cohesive option for 3rd party device manufacturers. Otherwise they can pursue the path of Apple (and already have to some extent) and limit their device selections to name brand or few chosen brands for a premium price (which may or may not reflect quality).

If Microsoft/Xbox want to continue being competitive, they'll do everything they can to make their platform the most attractive & cohesive option for 3rd party device manufacturers. Otherwise they can pursue the path of Apple (and already have to some extent) and limit their device selections to name brand or few chosen brands for a premium price (which may or may not reflect quality).

I am using 2 different best wireless gaming headset with my Xbox one
1- SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless Gaming Headset
2- Razer Kraken X Ultralight Gaming headsets