Redirect loop when trying to create xbox account for a child microsoft.com family member

Initially described this issue in https://forums.xbox.com/en-US/thread/580573D4-237E-467F-B0A7-10FC2A99E668?page=4 and reposting here by request from Misses Quinzel...

Hopefully this'll make sense and help point to the root of the problem. We don't have an Xbox or a Windows 10 PC. We have a few iPads and my kids love Minecraft. I was trying to get them configured with an xbox account so that we can try our Minecraft realms that would allow them to play with their friends. Here is what I did:
- Set up microsoft.com accounts for both of my children and have them joined to my "family" in my microsoft account.
- Set up a xbox.com account for myself (MingledMoney630)
- Through Minecraft on ipad tried setting up one of the kids with xbox account. I believe this was completed because we got as far as picking a gamer tag for one of the kids (AwesomeSocks105)
- Minecraft wouldn't let him join or start a new realm referring to "privacy and safety settings" in xbox account.
- Trying to view privacy and safety settings on the computer for his account, kept redirecting to my account (probably because i am the adult). But his gamer tag was not visible under my profile on xbox.com, only on microsoft.com in the Family section.
- I spoke with support and they referred me to this thread (https://forums.xbox.com/en-US/thread/580573D4-237E-467F-B0A7-10FC2A99E668). Sounds like the above is a known issue and there is a manual workaround that someone is using. All i needed was to get the second kid set up with a gamer tag and post both of those on that forum
- Tried setting up the second child's xbox.com account by going through the web, no ipad like the first time around. After a few steps the browser gets into an endless redirect loop, not letting me actually get to the place where i can pick a gamer tag. Tried different browser, different device, even doing this on ipad. This made no difference. At this point can't get the second kid set up with a xbox.com account at all.
- At this point noticed that even going to my own xbox.com account and clicking on Privacy in my profile would respond with an error below. I have been able to view this page earlier. :

It appears you've found a glitch in the system. Please try again later.
date: 4/17/2017 12:22:49 PM
s: J5pJdAKz6l3LTlQ5SYIBKr6mfsBGWuN/Z3g/IujUhF4=
req: e2c9de15-b0f6-432a-8c80-b201e67bf55e

At this point I am stuck. Hopefully there is something you can do with this information to help. I also opened a support case ([Mod Removed]).

Thanks so much for this, Mingled! This will help us keep everything for you in one place. :)

First, let's focus on the second child account. Do you see them on your Microsoft Family under account.microsoft.com? It may going through a loop because it already created them an Xbox gamertag, and your account is the actual loop. I want to make sure they are at least hooked up in your family before trying to troubleshoot that.

For your account, what browser are you using? Have you used multiple browsers (for your account specifically, I see you did for your second child's account)? Lastly, and this is going to sound incredibly simple, but have you signed out of xbox.com on your profile and signed back in? Sometimes the simple solutions fix it, and I have to ask since you didn't specify.

We'll start here. If I need to, we'll look at some other options together. I removed your SR from your post for security reasons (people can use that to try to gain access to your account), but I do have it noted.

--------------------------------------

Xbox Forums Staff

Be sure to check out the Xbox Forum Guidelines for the Do's and Don'ts as well as the Xbox Insider Program Forums for help with Xbox Insider Program troubleshooting.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Do you see them on your Microsoft Family under account.microsoft.com? It may going through a loop because it already created them an Xbox gamertag, and your account is the actual loop. I want to make sure they are at least hooked up in your family before trying to troubleshoot that.

Yep, i can see him under my family on account.microsoft.com

For your account, what browser are you using? Have you used multiple browsers (for your account specifically, I see you did for your second child's account)? Lastly, and this is going to sound incredibly simple, but have you signed out of xbox.com on your profile and signed back in?

I used both Chrome and Safari and have cleared cache and cookies with the same results. For my child's account i get into a redirect loop just upon trying to log into xbox.com. For my account i can get into xbox.com without a problem, but get that "Uh oh that shouldn't have happened" error i described above when trying to access Privacy settings.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yep, i can see him under my family on account.microsoft.com

I used both Chrome and Safari and have cleared cache and cookies with the same results. For my child's account i get into a redirect loop just upon trying to log into xbox.com. For my account i can get into xbox.com without a problem, but get that "Uh oh that shouldn't have happened" error i described above when trying to access Privacy settings.

Okay, thanks for confirming those for me.

Funny story, turns out there's a few others reported this exact situation you're seeing, but we're not sure what's going on just yet. Can you download and try Firefox on your Mac for me, please? Just want to cover as many of our bases as possible.

Aside from that, you mention iPads, but I don't see any mention of phones. Do you guys also have Apple devices there or Android? If it's an iPhone, don't worry about testing anything with regards to your account; I feel that would just end up the same. However, sign in with both accounts on an Android device if you have them just to rule out the Apple Mac OS/iOS side of things.

On the flip side, for your child's account that won't sign in to xbox.com, can you get the Xbox App on your iPad (at least) and try signing in with that? Maybe that will give us a better error as to what is happening there.

There's one thing I want to try with your account, but the Xbox App isn't available on Mac OS or on mobile devices. If you get access to a Windows 10 PC for some odd reason, I want you to try editing your avatar. You might be able to do this on the website, however Chrome and Safari won't support the site because it's dependent on Silverlight (Windows specific). Doesn't hurt to try if you can, though, because it will refresh your profile on a whole once you edit and save it.

This seems like a few good steps to focus on. I'll see what else I can find out on this side of things while you test these out for me, if you can.

Xbox Forums Staff

Be sure to check out the Xbox Forum Guidelines for the Do's and Don'ts as well as the Xbox Insider Program Forums for help with Xbox Insider Program troubleshooting.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Funny story, turns out there's a few others reported this exact situation you're seeing, but we're not sure what's going on just yet. Can you download and try Firefox on your Mac for me, please? Just want to cover as many of our bases as possible.

Tried from Chrome and Firefox from a work computer running Win7 to access Privacy settings on my own account. Still hanging.

Aside from that, you mention iPads, but I don't see any mention of phones. Do you guys also have Apple devices there or Android? If it's an iPhone, don't worry about testing anything with regards to your account; I feel that would just end up the same. However, sign in with both accounts on an Android device if you have them just to rule out the Apple Mac OS/iOS side of things.

On the flip side, for your child's account that won't sign in to xbox.com, can you get the Xbox App on your iPad (at least) and try signing in with that? Maybe that will give us a better error as to what is happening there.

I downloaded the xbox app for my Android phone (not the whole family runs Apple devices :) ). Tried accessing my son's account through it and received a very generic error about 30 seconds after typing in his password. "Sorry, we couldn't complete your Xbox profile. If that happens again, try setting it up at Xbox.com". I was able to access my own account through it, but didn't see the Privacy and safety settings link in the app. 
Is there any way at this point for you to remove the xbox account associated with my son's microsoft account? It's probably stuck in some funky state and is messing this whole thing up.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Tried from Chrome and Firefox from a work computer running Win7 to access Privacy settings on my own account. Still hanging.

I downloaded the xbox app for my Android phone (not the whole family runs Apple devices :) ). Tried accessing my son's account through it and received a very generic error about 30 seconds after typing in his password. "Sorry, we couldn't complete your Xbox profile. If that happens again, try setting it up at Xbox.com". I was able to access my own account through it, but didn't see the Privacy and safety settings link in the app. 

Is there any way at this point for you to remove the xbox account associated with my son's microsoft account? It's probably stuck in some funky state and is messing this whole thing up.

I really do appreciate your patience and cooperation with this! I've been asking you to do some weird things in the name of science, and you've been great with it all.

I agree. Something is up with your son's account, and there was an error in creating the Xbox account for some reason. While it's not common, I have seen it before. I also believe something happened with this that "broke" your account and that's why it's not loading the privacy settings anymore; basically, I think that your son's broken account being linked to yours is preventing you from loading the privacy settings page because his account is broken. This is speculation based on correlation and I really cannot confirm that this is the case.

The downside: I have no way to fix it myself. This ends up being an account issue that is separate from the whole child privacy settings issue, and needs to go through phone or chat support, at least initially. Have you reached out to them about this? If so, can you send me an Xbox Live message any reference numbers you might have from that? I would need that to look into other options I have here, and I ask for it in a message because it could be used by someone to social engineer their way into your account; likely unnecessary precautions, I know, but still precautions I have to take. :)

Xbox Forums Staff

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I sent you a separate message with the case number and tried separately to follow up on the case. So far I haven't heard back from the case, despite opening it on Monday. Sounds like I have you guys stumped. Is there noone who can help us? 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I sent you a separate message with the case number and tried separately to follow up on the case. So far I haven't heard back from the case, despite opening it on Monday. Sounds like I have you guys stumped. Is there noone who can help us? 

I didn't receive the message, however ^ZM over on Twitter let me know you had reached out to them with a reference number and now I have it. Not sure if you knew, but we are sister teams that work in the same building; communicating with them will generally be like communicating with us here on the forums. :3

I've got your information passed on to a team that should be able to help you out. They generally take a few days to reach out, but it could be as quickly as tomorrow. :) They generally work a bit slower over the weekends, though, just like we do since we're not here.

Keep me updated! Once your account issue is resolved, and they look into your child's account and why it won't create a gamertag on your side, we will be able to then focus on controlling their privacy settings. It's a process, and I know it's going to be a little time consuming. However, I know you're in the right hands for now! Let me know if you have any other concerns during this process.

Xbox Forums Staff

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 9, 2022 Views 816 Applies to: