GPU in Xbox One

Found this page today and although its pretty tough to understand, not just the tech stuff but also because its translated from Chinese to English, but there are some really good bits of information to take away from it.

"GPU core of Xbox One is constructed of 2 units 2 command processor unit, the operation for the command processor for graphics. Command processor is fed to the dispatcher of the GPU core to fetch the command on command buffer memory (queue). It has been a hardware GPU processing side since the fetch from the queue, it appears fetch to occur automatically from the CPU side.

I was doubled in Xbox One, is the command processor was the one unit each in operation and graphics in AMD APU traditional. That there are two units command processor for graphics means can be treated in parallel graphics context two independent.

Therefore, it is possible to run the GPU core simultaneously aphics context has two independent in Xbox One.  Instead of switching contexts in a time division, like the multi-threaded execution of the CPU, to hold the two contexts, to operate in a virtual memory space, each different. CPU Close to multi-threading in the sense a CPU basis.This configuration, there is interest in the case of rendering screens simultaneously completely different, but it is performed in a time division rendering each frame normally"

Like I said, tough to understand, but from what I take from this, there is only one GPU, but it runs like two GPU's?

For anyone interested in the full article, here it is.

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I would not know. I'm one of those people who is happy to have a general idea of how something works, but nothing much more techy or numbers based than that.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

If you read misterxmedia lately they are basically talking about what you just said about working as 2. Some say yes the GPU is 1.3 TF but what you are seeing from rise is mostly coming from the co processors and other rendering functions outside of that 1.3 Raw number. Estimated at this stage to be 3.2 TF performance wise. Only 1st party Devs fully privy to how some of it works and is still not fully utilised by them.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So... Xbox One graphics are only just beginning to wow us then?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thing with consoles is that people are expecting them to work exactly like PC's. They may share similar architecture, but they still have their own custom builds that allow them to harness the technology within them in ways a standard PC simply would not. Then there's coding to the metal on top of that.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Imagine where those games will be in a year or two....prepare to have your socks blown off  :D

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes I believe so.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I think this is best covered by semiaccurate...

semiaccurate.com/.../a-deep-dive-in-to-microsofts-xbox-one-gpu-and-on-die-memory

As you can see 2xcompute command processors & 2xgraphics command processor. It also says 1.3tflops, so I think that still stands.

Misterxmedia is a bit of a joke really... that said i'm still excited at the hardware in the Xbox One....

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Seeing the games in the flesh left me disappointed graphics wise, even Ryse, but they were just demos and as the late Uncle Ben said (and I quote directly) "with great power comes a long wait for it all to be utilised" in a few years the graphics will be awesome, I imagine (and hope) like the graphical comparison between Halo 3 and Halo 4 this gen

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

@cotton agreed. I think the comments section of misterx is well worth a read more than the Main article. As I've always said a more customized soc on the x1 will produce the goods.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

@RippenHarra I read Misterx pretty much every day, only understand about a third of what is explained on there, but I get the general idea.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated August 18, 2021 Views 3 Applies to: