With windows live movie maker how do I choose my own photo from a movie as the thumbnail photo for that movie?

Is there a way to choose a snapshot from a movie I am editing and make that photo appear as the thumbnail photo for that movie (the photo that appears in the box where when you click on it it plays the movie).  Just to make sure you know what I'm talking about, in My videos you have folders, then sub folders etc, then you get the icons which is the movie and if you pick the medium, large, or extra large icons you get a picture from the movie which is usually the first image from the movie.  How do I change that image to an image I choose from the movie and how do I fit that image within the border without cutting off any of the photo.  The only way I have figured out how to do this is to capture a snapshot from the movie, then add that photo to the beginning of the movie.  That works most of the time, but occassionally it uses the same photo it would have picked anyway even though my photo is there.  Is there a way of doing this without having to have my choice of photo at the beginning of the movie as I would prefer there not to be a still shot at the beginning of the movie.  I hope you understand my question.

Hi HORNET 1414,

I have determined that your inquiry is a Windows Live Movie Maker issue. I moved your post to the Windows Live Movie Maker forum under settings and personalization category for better assistance.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

This is more of a question for the Windows Shell, but I'll answer anyway.  Windows is responsible for picking a default picture to show as the thumbnail for your video.  It has a default routine for various different video types and picks the thumbnail automatically trying to make a reasonable guess at the first important bit of action in your movie.  I'm unaware of any easy way to have control over that thumbnail.  Certainly when you are making your own movie via Windows Live Movie Maker, there is no way to control the chosen thumbnail except to try and put your desired picture early in the movie which you already said you don't want to do.

If you are uploading your video to somewhere like YouTube, Vimeo, etc., you get some additional options to choose/change your thumbnail, but there's not a corresponding option directly within Windows.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your post....you just saved me a bunch of time.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 6, 2020 Views 7,461 Applies to: