What to do before Movie Maker goes away (Jan 10, 2017)?

If you weren't aware, Microsoft is dropping support for Movie Maker 2012 as of January 10, 2017. While the programs will continue to run on systems where Windows Essentials is already installed, it's unlikely you'll be able to reinstall the programs if you are having issues. Obviously no further updates will be forthcoming (even if security issues or defects are found).

Before the deadline, you should definitely save a copy of the offline installer for your language just in case you need to reinstall Windows Essentials.

Microsoft has given the vague statement that Movie Maker will soon be available from Windows Store for Windows 10 users. But so far I've not seen any actual announcement of what that may be. So far I've only seen less powerful apps like Movie Moments in the store without any viable replacement.

Update: Under the question about Recommended Alternatives, Movie Maker is no longer listed. This seems to confirm that Microsoft has no immediate plans with respect to a new Movie Maker.

If any of the Support Engineers in these forums can escalate this question, we'd all like to know specifics on what that replacement will be and when it will be available. Please reply before the deadline.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I heard a rumor about Microsoft working on a UWP version of Movie Maker. There was also another rumor that this new version of Movie Maker will be released with the Creator Update. Not sure if any of this is actually true, but I guess we'll see. 

Some guy did say that they saw a glimpse of a redesigned video editor in one of the Creator Update videos, but I haven't seen it, so I can't confirm that, either.

What I really hope happens is that Microsoft does exactly what they said (making WMM into a Windows 10 Store app), and adding some new features to it, like multi-track editing, video blurring, and other stuff like that.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Well, support has now ended and the notice about Movie Maker has silently been removed from the FAQ:

Hartelijke groet,

Remco

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I created a meager Change.org petition to encourage Microsoft to bring back Movie Maker. Feel free to sign and share: https://www.change.org/p/microsoft-keep-windows-movie-maker-available-for-download-after-next-week/share?utm_medium=email&utm_source=notification&utm_campaign=new_petition_recruit

Microsoft has shown that they do respond to feedback if enough people complain loud enough, so make some noise friends!

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

To assist you better regarding your concern with Movie maker, we suggest that you check here to learn more about Windows Essentials 2012 release notes and let us know if you have any other concerns.

Regards.

Carlos,

Your reply is not very illuminating and doesn't reflect much effort to help us actually understand. Microsoft promised us a new version of Movie Maker, left us in the dark, and unceremoniously killed off the beloved Windows Movie Maker. You (and the link you provided) didn't answer whether this is a permanent loss or there is another version coming soon.

Please let us know the full scoop, even if it is "Our PR team honestly doesn't know Microsoft's plans. We're just as in the dark as you are." or "Yep, we decided to give up on Movie Maker." or "We never really talked about this in the team meeting and kind of forgot about Movie Maker development."

Seriously, ANY full, honest answer would be helpful to Movie Maker enthusiasts who aren't sure whether to keep waiting.

Thanks, Jeremy

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

To assist you better regarding your concern with Movie maker, we suggest that you ... let us know if you have any ... concerns.

Regards.

Good news, folks! The offline installers are archived at Web Archive, so they will permanently be available there, regardless of whether Microsoft wants them to be available or not. Here are the links:

Arabic

Basque

Bulgarian

Catalan

Chinese (Simplified)

Chinese (Traditional)

Croatian

Czech

Danish

Dutch

English (United Kingdom)

English (United States)

Estonian

Finnish

French

German

Greek

Gujarati

Hebrew

Hindi

Hungarian

Indonesian

Italian

Japanese

Kannada

Korean

Latvian

Lithuanian

Malay

Malayalam

Marathi

Polish

Portuguese

Latin

Slovak

Slovenian

Spanish

Swedish

Tamil

Telugu

Thai

Turkish

Ukrainian

Vietnamese

If Microsoft refuses to take the initiative, we will.

Enjoy and spread the word (and the links)!

96 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great find, thank you. However I would link to a later date, e.g. this one for English:

http://web.archive.org/web/20170109223306/http://g.live.com/1rewlive5-all/en/wlsetup-all.exe

That way you get the latest version, which is 16.4.3528.0331 (released on April 17, 2014). 

Hartelijke groet,

Remco

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great idea! Got an email with the links, but don't see the latest message on the page. Maybe it got posted and then deleted. Here are the updated links they provided, which include the summer 2014 update: 

Here are the updated links to the Archive.org copies of the *latest* versions (build 16.4.3528.0331)

Read this reply on Microsoft Community.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

From what I can tell, those links are just redirecting back to Microsoft servers. So I'm not sure that they'll survive if Microsoft deletes the originals.

For example the English (US) link goes back to:

http://wl.dlservice.microsoft.com/download/C/1/B/C1BA42D6-6A50-4A4A-90E5-FA9347E9360C/en/wlsetup-all.exe

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It seems to be hosted on the archive servers. Look at the download link that Firefox gives:

Hartelijke groet,

Remco

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 14, 2024 Views 33,472 Applies to: