Movie Maker 2012 not running in Windows 8 Pro.

HI, I just install  windows live essentials 2012, Photo Gallery And Messenger working fine, but Movie Maker can't start and give me this message  ( Sorry, Movie Maker can't start, make sure your computer meets the minimum system requirements before trying to start movie maker again, and then try to update the driver for your video card if movie maker still doesn't start.)

All requirements are just fine, I checked, DirectX 11 is there, I'm using the ATI Radeon 4600 HD with it's last driver update.

Any Solution ?????

Question Info

Last updated May 18, 2018 Views 3,428 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

HI, I just install  windows live essentials 2012, Photo Gallery And Messenger working fine, but Movie Maker can't start and give me this message  ( Sorry, Movie Maker can't start, make sure your computer meets the minimum system requirements before trying to start movie maker again, and then try to update the driver for your video card if movie maker still doesn't start.)

All requirements are just fine, I checked, DirectX 11 is there, I'm using the ATI Radeon 4600 HD with it's last driver update.

Any Solution ?????

Hello there,

-I faced the same problem with you before; what I did is to workaround this issue is by simply running Windows Live Movie Maker 2012 in Windows 7 compatibility mode. Here are the steps:
1. Locate the Movie Maker 2012 link in the Start Screen,
2. Right-click the link and click the "Open file location"; it'll open the actual shortcut in the Start Menu folder,
3. Right-click that shortcut, choose Properties, go to Compatibility tab, and under "Run this program under compatibility mode for:", choose Windows 7.
4. Click Apply and OK.
5. Try running the program again.

-Explanation: I think this is because of AMD/ATI Catalyst 'Legacy' 12.6 driver for Windows 8 is actually the same binaries as Catalyst Legacy 12.6 for Windows Vista/7, just with updated INF that added some Windows-8 specific info. Maybe Windows 8 is expecting WDDM 1.2 features available in that driver (as its INF is specifically crafted for Windows 8) and caused the driver to crash as it's actually WDDM 1.1-level only.

-Another possible workaround (without using compatibility mode): uninstall that Catalyst Legacy 12.6 for Windows 8, and install Catalyst Legacy 12.6 for Windows Vista/7. Please note that I haven't tried this yet, but it may help if you have another graphics/video-related issues in Windows 8 too.

-Hope this helps.

Regards,
-Musafir_86.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.