EXTREMELY FRUSTRATED with Windows Live Movie Maker. Won't save a video I worked on for hours. Please help.

Ok Windows people, listen up. This is freaking ridiculous. Windows Live Movie Maker sucks, but I have no other means of editing my videos so I have to make do. And I don't know any fancy computer words, so if anyone answers this question, please keep the terminology simple. I have had MULTIPLE issues saving videos before, but have always managed to fix it after hours of reading threads and searching the problem on Google a million times. This time, not the case. Of course I read all the threads-nothing worked. I film with a Canon PowerShot ELPH 110 HS in 1080p HD quality. I've found in the past that as long as the video I've edited using WLMM is under 15 minutes, I can manage to save it. Also, sometimes after I've had WLMM up for a while the clips will start to black out, eventually turn gray and get the dreaded yellow triangle with an exclamation point. At this point, I save the project, exit out of WLMM, and open it up again in a few minutes to continue working on my project. What a hassle, but at least I've been able to save the few vids that I've done. The video I'm currently trying to save (which I worked on editing for hours) is 9:58 min. It's 1080p quality, and I chose the option to save it for HD display. I have tried saving it literally at least 15 times, trying different things, for the past two days! Can you imagine my frustration? Each time I save I either get "there's not enough space to save this file" or "there's missing/corrupted/WHATEVER files in your project you need to remove them to save" which is BS cuz I know they're there! I tried to customize my save options to save in 720p (but I shouldn't have to sacrifice my quality, Windows, ya feel me?) Didn't work. I tried making the timeline smaller and viewing window bigger so it didn't load as many clips at one time and take up all the memory Windows is claiming is happening... I tried a bunch of ****. It's just not working. Nothing is. People said to download a video converter, so I did, but if I put my raw videos in there I will have to edit them into the clips I want all over again which took FOREVER. This is such a hassle, and I am so angry and frustrated. Windows, you need to fix it. Clearly, loads of other people are having these problems too. My next computer will be a Mac for sure.

Question Info

Last updated September 27, 2019 Views 23,976 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi Lily,

We apologize for the inconvenience that this may have caused you.

Based on your post, I understand that you are receiving errors on your project when you save it as a movie. This can happen due to corrupted video codecs, or outdate video drivers. To troubleshoot the issue, please follow these steps:

1. Ensure that you have the latest version for Windows Movie Maker. You can download the latest version here.

2. Check that the files you are using are of a supported format – Some file formats are not supported by Movie Maker. A list of supported formats can be found here.  

3. Check if you have enough space on your hard drive. You do this by following the steps here.

4. Ensure that you have the proper codecs to play your videos and audio files.  Audio and Video require codecs to play the file and it’s important to have the right codecs installed or updated in your PC. 

·         Try running the Microsoft Fix It tool for codecs.

·         Media info will be able to identify the codec required for your audio and video files, and will provide a link to the website for the required codec. You can get it here

Note: If you can't find the codec you need you may convert the video to a supported format (eg. wmv) and then add it to your Movie Maker project.

5. Ensure that your video card drivers are up to date. Movie Maker makes extensive use of the video card GPU (graphics processing unit). The display driver affects the reliability, performance, and compatibility of the video card with various software.

To determine the version and video card driver date, run the DirectX Diagnostic Tool (dxdiag):  

a. Click on Start button and type dxdiag in the Search programs and files box and press Enter key on the keyboard.  
    b. Click on the Display tab and you will see the driver details including the driver version.  
    c. If your video card driver seems outdated please go to the video card driver manufacturer and see if a newer version is available. 

Please let us know the results.

Thank you.

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Ok, well, I'm also frustrated, I've got the same issues, and I've just tried all that and it hasn't worked.
======================================
When you have a question...it is always best if
you begin a new thread and provide details of your
system and explain exactly what the problems are.

Windows version? Movie Maker version? Project
duration? Formats of source files?

Might be worth a try to convert all your Video Clips
to the .WMV format before importing into Movie
Maker.

There are many converters available on the net...
some free, some retail...the following freeware 
is just one example:

(FWIW...it's always a good idea to create a System
Restore point before installing software or updates)

Freemake Free Video Converter (freeware)
http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/
(Windows XP / Vista / 7 / 8 )
(***Carefully read *all* the install screens...there
may be some items you want to uncheck***)

When you have Freemake installed...open Freemake
and drag/drop your video files on the main screen.

Or...Left click the Video button and Browse to the
folder your video files are saved in.

Select (highlight) the files you wish to import into
Freemake and left click the "Open" button.

When your video files are imported into Freemake,
Left click the WMV icon at the bottom of the screen.

The "WMV Output Parameters" screen will open. 

Choose a "Save To" folder so you can find the
converted files.

Left click the "Convert" button and wait for the files
to be converted.

That should do it...
.......Volunteer J - MS-MVP......
.....This Is Not Tech Support....
***Proceed at your own risk***

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.