Windows Live Movie Maker Error: 0x87160129 keeps appearing

Question Summary
Other Windows Live Movie Maker issues
Which version of Windows Live Movie Maker are you using ?
Other
Choose your Operating System version :
Windows 7

Additional Details
I just upgraded to to Movie Maker 2011 last weelk and was editing my piece which is about 14 minutes long with clips I have used in the previous movie maker version.  I keep getting the error of Windows Live Movie Maker Error: 0x87160129 when I try and burn it or save it to my computer or to youtube.  I have tried for the past few days to remedy this by the solutions listed by users with the same problem but to no avail.  I have downloaded the Media Guide info.  I have closed out all systems when saving.  I have gone and made sure to rename the clips if I have spliced or trimmed and then reused.  I am so frustrated that the amount of work for something that should be so easy, is taking this long.  Just like the other users, I get little yellow triangles on the video clips but then if I click out of it and then back in, it resumes looking normal...until I try and save it to another format for uploading or burning.  HELP!!!!!!!

Question Info

Last updated August 9, 2018 Views 1,959 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Kirstelisa,

For us to investigate on your concern, can you please confirm what is the file type that you are trying to edit on your project file? Also, kindly provide us your computers system information, please refer to the steps provided below:

1. Run MSinfo32 as follows: 

Click on Start and then type msinfo32 on the Start Search box, and then press Enter

Note: It may take several seconds for this information to be collected and displayed.

In the System Information window, click File and Save. Save the file to Desktop in the default format .nfo

After gathering the necessary information we need, kindly upload it on the private data area provided below.

Note: Please reply to this post notifying us that the requested (specify if it which log/info) has been provided.

Thanks,

Windows Live Joseph L.
Rate this moderator

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Joseph,

I just uploaded it. 

Thank you,

Kirstelisa

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Kirstelisa,

Thank you for the system info file that you have provided. For us to further investigate the issue, please provide us the following information:
  • What Windows Live Movie Maker version do you have? Make sure that you are running the latest version (15.4.3538.513). You download the latest version here:
Windows Live Movie Maker
  • What is the exact message that you get when you double-click the video with the exclamation mark on it?
  •  What files types are showing wrong? Please check the supported file types here: Windows Live Movie Maker File Types FAQ
  • Are media files saved on your local drive, or on an external/removable drive?

Thanks,
    Windows Live Litton B.
    Rate this moderator

• Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

I do have the latest version...just downloaded it last week.
    The message I get is: "Sorry, your movie can't be saved. Find any missing files or remove the unuseable items from your project, and then try again.  Error 0x87160129" when I try and save it.

If I click on a exclamation mark, I get: "Do you want to remove "066.MP4" from the project? THe file might be corrupted or in a format that Movie Maker doesn't recognize.  This movie can't be saved ro published until 066.MP4 is removed from the project.  Error 0xX946001E"

There are several files that it lists are unrecognizeable.  But it's not always the same ones.  And these are the same kind of files I have used in Movie Maker before.
    Nothing is different except the fact I can't burn or save it.

The files are saved on my local drive.

Thank you,
    Kirstelisa

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Kirstelisa,

Thanks for these details. Since you are using MP4 files, I advise to convert these corrupted files or appear as missing files to wmv. You can use a file converter to perform this. You could search through http://bing.com for recommended converters. It is possible that there are missing codecs on your system caused for Windows Live Movie Maker to have difficulties on saving project.

Thanks,

Windows Live Abegail S.
    Rate this moderator

Sorry this didn't help.

That would be a fair solution, but why is it only affecting the files at random if they're "corrupt", and if they ARE broken how can they be converted to WMV? If they can be loaded by a WMV converter, why can't they be loaded by WMM? MP4 is supposedly one of the filetypes it officially supports, after all.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi A public but non-personally-identifiable username!,

Yes, MP4 formats are supported by Windows Live Movie Maker but it also depends on your installed codec. Some files that are supported of Windows Live Movie Maker can't be played due to some codec issues. This can fix if you've installed the appropriate codec.

Thanks,

Windows Live Geoffrey A.

Rate this Moderator

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Geoffrey A - How would I go about finding the appropriate codec?

I already did the downloading from Media Guide.  Is there some way I could know what the appropriate codec is?  This is clearly a problem with the upgrade of Movie Maker since this was not a problem with the previous version with these exact same files.

Thoughts?

Kirstelisa

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Kirstelisa,

[quote user=Kirstelisa]Is there some way I could know what the appropriate codec is?[/quote]

We have here a recommended tool you can download to verify the appropriate codec needed to run the file properly. Please follow this link:

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

This will be able to identify any issues with missing or faulty codecs and whether it’s already installed in your computer or not.

We also recommend you run the FixIt tool for codecs. This could possibly help on resolving your codec issue. The link is provided below:

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/video_freezes_or_crashes/

Audio and Video require codecs to play the file and it’s important to have the right codecs installed or updated in your PC.

Best regards,

Windows Live Eugene R.
    Rate this Moderator

Sorry this didn't help.

I appreciate your help but I have already tried all thosesteps. Before I even wrote for help, I checked all these solutions, so thanks but no thanks. This has taken way toooo long. Having this "free" program that came with my computer has cost me a lot of time and aggravation. Windows needs to do some serious overhauling. Based on what I have been reading for the past few weeks to fix this problem that was created when I upgraded, I am not alone. Off to buy a program that yields better results and has way more positive comments. Best yet, it won't leave me stranded with a kick **** video that cannot be saved anywhere or burned (though all the files are ones MM supports). Best regards, kirstelisa

Sorry this didn't help.