How to delete one mis-spelled email address from auto-complete list

I previously mis-spelled an email address when sending a message .... and now, that mis-spelled address is displayed in the auto-complete list each time I begin to type the correct email address.

This is NOT an issue with my contact list ... I do not have a contact defined for this address.

I do have this option enabled:  Give suggestions for anyone I've communicated with (contacts and non-contacts) and I want to keep that option enabled. I realize that I could select this option: Only suggest people in my contact list, and the mis-spelled address would not appear in the auto-complete list .... but I want the auto-complete function to give suggestions from both contacts and non-contacts.

What I am looking for is the ability to delete one entry from the non-contact addresses that are maintained by the auto-complete feature. Can this be done in Outlook.com??

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Carol_R:

Thank you for your reply.

I must admit that this has been a most painful experience.

Basically, it has taken Microsoft OVER FIVE MONTHS to finally tell me that they acknowledge the problem I have reported, they have reproduced it, but they have no current plans to fix the problem.

I may not like the final response (i.e., that Microsoft has no plans on fixing the issue), but what I find to be totally unacceptable and unprofessional is the fact that it took Microsoft OVER FIVE MONTHS to provide a response that should have been provided within a month or less!!!!

Part of the delay was due to Forum Moderators not understanding the issue I was describing, which required significant persistence on my part to convince Forum Mods to reproduce the problem themselves. This (getting Forum Mods to reproduce the issue) should not have been so difficult to accomplish.  Forum Mods need better training in troubleshooting customer's issues.

Another part of the delay (once the problem I described was reproduced by Forum Mods) was the lack of a timely response from Microsoft's Engineers. They need better training in the importance of providing feedback to customers who have taken the trouble of documenting a bug for them.

I realize that this is not personally your fault ... so please just pass my dissatisfaction back to your management (including Jennifer) and their contacts at Microsoft. Microsoft's unprofessional behavior (FIVE MONTHS to respond) truly discourages people from reporting bugs ... but perhaps that is their intention!

Finally, I have unmarked your response as an "answer". I would like to leave this thread unanswered until such time that a fix for this issue becomes available in a future release of Outlook.com. When such a fix is available, just post a response in this thread. I will gladly test the fix, and if the problem is resolved, I will mark this thread as answered.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Here's a work around... I tried and it appears to work.

Jacquilyn_C replied on 
Forum Moderator

Hi,

Are you using an Outlook.com interface when you encountered this issue? Though this is time-consuming on your part, as a workaround for this, I encourage you to add the wrong email address as your contact. Once done, try sending an email to that contact and from there, delete it on frequent contact list when composing the email. Here's how to do it:

1. Sign in to your Microsoft account and go to your Inbox page.

2. Click on New to start composing an email. On the To: button, type the first letter of the wrong email address that you want to remove. When it appears, hover your mouse on the email address and click on the x mark beside the scroll bar.

Now, to completely delete that wrong contact, go to your People page. Type the name of that contact on the search box located below the word All. Click on Delete on the main toolbar located above and then click on Delete to confirm the deletion.

Thank you.

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

langware, this really irritates me, too.  It seems like such a simple thing to fix, yet they mysteriously don't want to even acknowledge there is any problem.  Perhaps it will require a complete top-down redesign?  Perhaps they don't want to reveal that they are taking and keeping personal information from users?  Given the simplicity of the issue and the clear attempt to avoid dealing with it, this really makes me nervous (and angry).  Thanks for bringing this up and pursuing it so vigorously.

Sorry this didn't help.

More-Cheetos-Please,

I agree ... this appears to be a very simple problem to fix ... and one that should never have been allowed to happen ... if outlook.com had the proper quality control and the proper project management, then the fact that full management (add, delete, change) of the auto-suggest list was not implement should have never gotten past outlook.com's quality control and/or project management.

One guess is that Microsoft is trying much too hard to compete with the likes of Apple and Google in markets that are already dominated (by Apple and Google). Perhaps Microsoft has moved too many staff resources into those areas (where they are trying to compete with Apple and Google); leaving too few resources to properly handle the backlog of bugs/issues/design flaws in outlook.com.

This status page ...  https://status.live.com/history ... shows a lot of outlook problems during the first part of June. Perhaps Microsoft just does not have sufficient resources assigned to outlook.com to keep it running (and updated) smoothly.

I have not yet tried the work around suggested by Ang Phanthans on June 15. While it may work, it certainly is a lot of work, and would not be obvious to most outlook.com users. Microsoft should be ashamed to requires such a convoluted work-around. Simple Add, Delete, Change options would be a much much more professional solution.

Sorry this didn't help.

The suggestion by Ang Phanthans does not always work. It appears to work for invalid addresses that have been in the auto-suggestion list for a "long time", but not for invalid addresses that were recently mis-typed.

There is no way for an invalid email address to be removed from Outlook.com's auto-suggestion list.

The outlook.com developers should be ashamed that they are unable to fix this bug.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, this is an issue for me as well.  Thanks for checking into this issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

pwcsdesk,

I do not think that anyone from Microsoft is following this thread.

Follow these steps to post your complaint where Microsoft will see it ...

1. From your Outlook inbox, click the "gear" icon (upper right of window).
2. In the drop-down list, click "Feedback".
3. Follow instructions and enter a description of the problem ... here's an example: "There are no options to maintain the auto-suggestion list in order to add, delete, or change an auto-suggestion. For example, if an email address with a typographical error has once been entered into the TO field (and that address is NOT in ones contact list), then there is no way to modify the auto-suggestion list to either delete or change the address with a typo."

Sorry this didn't help.

I also used the feedback button, this is taking so long to be fixed! Really annoying! They really dont listen to their customers..

Sorry this didn't help.

I have this problem now too, 

A whole year and still no way to fix it?

I'd laugh but it's not even funny!

Sorry this didn't help.

I have this problem now too, 
A whole year and still no way to fix it?
I'd laugh but it's not even funny!
Paul,

If you have not already done so, you may want to provide feedback to Microsoft about the need to fix this problem. I do not believe the Microsoft developers read this forum, so use the "feedback" option in Outlook to let them know .... here are instructions:

1. From your Outlook inbox, click the "gear" icon (upper right of window).
2. In the drop-down list, click "Feedback".
3. Follow instructions and enter a description of the problem ... here's an example: "There are no options to maintain the auto-suggestion list in order to add, delete, or change an auto-suggestion. For example, if an email address with a typographical error has once been entered into the TO field (and that address is NOT in ones contact list), then there is no way to modify the auto-suggestion list to either delete or change the address with a typo."

Someday, when pigs can fly, Microsoft might get around to fixing this bug.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 23, 2020 Views 4,254 Applies to: