Do I still need to login via web page (outlook.com) once for 270 days if I use Windows Live Mail or Office Outlook with Outlook Connector installed ?

I'd like to use Windows Live Mail or Office Outlook to manage my e-mail outlook.com account (with custom domain). I've read about Outlook Connector that it sync desktop office with outlook.com account (which is, as I suspect, more complex than just ordinary POP). So my question is, let's write it once again:

In that case, do I still need to login to outlook.com web mail interface once for 270 days time period not to let my outlook.com account die (being suspended) ? 

I'am going to use only Microsoft paid solutions like WLM (included in Windows OS) or Outlook (included in MS Office). I'm not going to use other "no Microsoft" mail programs (like thunderbied for example).

Question Info

Last updated February 11, 2018 Views 113 Applies to:
LJ

AFAIK the simple answer is YES, unless you upgrade to Outlook PLUS (A paid service).  You need to log on at least once using a web browser to restart the inactivity timer.
Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
http://www.zigzag3143.com/

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Big thanks for you answer ZigZag.

I am not doubting in Your words, but knowing that this is community support forum, not a Microsoft helpdesk I have to ask: Are You sure about that ? Do You have any reliable (Microsoft) source confirming using Outlook Connector is not enough to keep accounts active ?

Only document providing information in that matter is Microsoft Services Agreement where you can read: "The Microsoft branded services require that you sign into your Microsoft account periodically, at a minimum every 270 days, to keep the Microsoft branded services portion of the services active, unless provided otherwise in an offer for a paid portion of the services. If you fail to sign in during this period, we may cancel your access to the Microsoft branded services. If the Microsoft branded services are canceled due to your failure to sign in, your data may be permanently deleted from our servers"

So it is required to sign into MS account - this is clear. But is using web browser in order to sign into this account also required ? - this is not clear.

Sorry this didn't help.

LJ

This is the speech for inactivity.  Not the reference to web browser.  This is not my speech, it is gleaned from a Forum moderator.

When was the last time you accessed your account?  If you have a "welcome to Hotmail" your account has been marked as inactive.

If you haven't signed in for the last 270 days, I'm sorry to inform you that your account has been marked as inactive. Free Windows  Hotmail accounts become inactive if you don't sign in for more than 270 days VIA WEB BROWSER or within the first 10 days after signing up VIA WEB BROWSER for an account.

After an account becomes inactive, all messages, folders, and contacts are deleted. Incoming messages will be sent back to the sender as undeliverable. Your account name is still reserved. However, if the account stays inactive for an additional 90 days, the account name may be permanently deleted.

If you don't use your Windows Live ID for 365 days, your Windows Live ID may be permanently deleted

Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
http://www.zigzag3143.com/

Sorry this didn't help.

Big thanks for you answer ZigZag.

I am not doubting in Your words, but knowing that this is community support forum, not a Microsoft helpdesk I have to ask: Are You sure about that ? Do You have any reliable (Microsoft) source confirming using Outlook Connector is not enough to keep accounts active ?

Only document providing information in that matter is Microsoft Services Agreement where you can read: "The Microsoft branded services require that you sign into your Microsoft account periodically, at a minimum every 270 days, to keep the Microsoft branded services portion of the services active, unless provided otherwise in an offer for a paid portion of the services. If you fail to sign in during this period, we may cancel your access to the Microsoft branded services. If the Microsoft branded services are canceled due to your failure to sign in, your data may be permanently deleted from our servers"

So it is required to sign into MS account - this is clear. But is using web browser in order to sign into this account also required ? - this is not clear.

....Microsoft had better fix this, if you sign in to your account with Live, Office or any other  product and are using your Hotmail/Outlook for mail it is not inactive! I think very few users know of this issue.

Sorry this didn't help.