Emails missing from inbox since upgrading to Outlook.com

I'm having an ongoing problem with the new Outlook.com site which needs addressing ASAP - I've trawled through all of Microsoft's support pages but have been unable to find a direct email address for contacting technical support. Instead, I was directed to these Community Pages, but judging from the huge number of answered questions submitted by disgruntled Microsoft users, I'm unlikely to receive a useful response.

Indeed, I don't wish to complain unnecessarily, but it should be mandatory for Microsoft to provide easy access to email addresses/contact forms so that customers can address them directly. Apple have numerous support systems in place for their products, and publish their contact details on their website in addition to linking to their online community - this is something Microsoft should emulate if they wish to remain current.

Anyway, the problem I've been having involves deleted emails. A huge section of my inbox seems to have been deleted ever since I was automatically upgraded to Outlook.com last month. My sent items have remained intact, but my inbox is now missing thousands of important emails. Strangely, not all of my inbox was deleted - I can still access the emails I received prior to around September 2012, but everything between September 2012 and March 2013 (which is when I was upgraded to Outlook.com) is missing.

I've tried using various advanced search tools to see whether the emails were simply moved to another folder, but they are nowhere to be found. I've also checked on my iPhone to see whether the emails can be accessed from a different device, but again there is a gap from September to March. And yes, I also tried using the "auto-recover" feature built into the Deleted Mail tab - again, it was no use. Why would this have happened in the first place, why has it only applied to a limited section of my inbox, and how do I know it won't happen again?

This is obviously a very frustrating issue, and I notice that many other Community Members have posted about similar problems without receiving conclusive responses - I would appreciate it if you could help to resolve this issue, and preferably pass the problem onto Microsoft's technical staff so that they can provide an "official" response to all those encountering difficulties.

Thanks.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

We apologize for the delayed response and the inconvenience this issue has caused you. I am happy to help you with your concern. I know that you're in the frustrating situation because of the lost emails on your Inbox after the upgrade.

The possible reasons why e-mails suddenly disappear are as follows. you can also refer to the information below on how you can avoid lost emails on your Inbox page. 

• Messages were manually deleted either due to accidental deletion or were moved or deleted due to your account filter settings.
  • Messages were deleted due to account compromise issues where a hacker might have gained access to your account and deleted the emails.
  • You are using an e-mail client or a third party spam filtering software to access your account. This often happens when using the Pop3 protocol to retrieve your mail and the option “Always leave a copy of the message on the server” is not selected.
  • The account was marked as “Inactive." Windows Live Hotmail accounts become inactive if you don’t sign in for more than 365 days or within the first 10 days after signing up for an account. After an account becomes inactive, all messages, folders, and contacts are deleted.

Plrease be informed that when you upgrade your account to Outlook.com, you are only upgrading the user interface of Hotmail to the new user interface; hence all your emails should still stay in your Inbox..

To have a better view of your issue, we need you to provide addtional information and detailed description that will help us to give you the solution needed.

• Have you encountered any issues in logging in before noticing data loss? If yes, did the system asked you to reset your password?
  • Have you clicked on any link before the issue occured?
  • Did you try to deactivate or downgrade to Hotmail.com before the issue occurred?
  • When was the last time you logged into your account after you've found out that emails were lost?
  • What are the descriptions of the data that you've lost (all messages before a date,  date ranges, estimated number etc.)

I’d like to request additional information from you.  I will start a private message with you that contain instructions and a place to upload the information. If we can determine a solution or fix, I will share it with everyone on the thread. 

Your cooperation on this matter will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Please see my private message.

Thank you

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there,

A friend of mine has just experienced the same issue, are you able to advise on how he can recover his data please.

Thank-you

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello sitch76,

Thank you for posting here.

I understand that your friend's email messages are missing. Let me help your friend to recover the email messages.

Your friend can restore the emails by going to his Deleted emails folder and selecting the recover deleted messages link. Outlook.com will try to recover as much as it can. 

Note: We can only recover email messages that was deleted 5 days ago.

If the issue persists, please ask your friend to post back so we can investigate further.

Regards.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

We apologize for the delayed response and the inconvenience this issue has caused you. I am happy to help you with your concern. I know that you're in the frustrating situation because of the lost emails on your Inbox after the upgrade.

The possible reasons why e-mails suddenly disappear are as follows. you can also refer to the information below on how you can avoid lost emails on your Inbox page. 

• Messages were manually deleted either due to accidental deletion or were moved or deleted due to your account filter settings.
  • Messages were deleted due to account compromise issues where a hacker might have gained access to your account and deleted the emails.
  • You are using an e-mail client or a third party spam filtering software to access your account. This often happens when using the Pop3 protocol to retrieve your mail and the option “Always leave a copy of the message on the server” is not selected.
  • The account was marked as “Inactive." Windows Live Hotmail accounts become inactive if you don’t sign in for more than 365 days or within the first 10 days after signing up for an account. After an account becomes inactive, all messages, folders, and contacts are deleted.

Plrease be informed that when you upgrade your account to Outlook.com, you are only upgrading the user interface of Hotmail to the new user interface; hence all your emails should still stay in your Inbox..

To have a better view of your issue, we need you to provide addtional information and detailed description that will help us to give you the solution needed.

• Have you encountered any issues in logging in before noticing data loss? If yes, did the system asked you to reset your password?
  • Have you clicked on any link before the issue occured?
  • Did you try to deactivate or downgrade to Hotmail.com before the issue occurred?
  • When was the last time you logged into your account after you've found out that emails were lost?
  • What are the descriptions of the data that you've lost (all messages before a date,  date ranges, estimated number etc.)

I’d like to request additional information from you.  I will start a private message with you that contain instructions and a place to upload the information. If we can determine a solution or fix, I will share it with everyone on the thread. 

Your cooperation on this matter will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

I am sure this missing email is a server side issue and as a typical corporate diplomat you are blaming the causes of missing emails on users. Shame really!

I have missing emails from my Inbox from exactly the same period as daftpunk91. To be precise all my emails between 1st September 2012 to 14th March 2013 have vanished of its own, PERIOD. 

My account was neither hacked, neither someone deleted emails manually.

Why don't you guys take credibility for the mess you have created for users while migrating them to outlook.

34 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

We're sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. Have you tried the steps on Ace_J.'s post? If not, please do so and let us know the result.

We'll investigate or find out what may have possibly caused the issue. So please provide us the e-mail address affected on the private message I have sent you. Make sure to sign in to this forum and click on the red texts saying you have a private reply.

Should you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

I am missing all my emails in my inbox today -- I got a message before that saying there was a problem with the outlook..now I have lost all my inbox emails for the past 10 years...

when I went into deleted folder  there is no message to recover deleted message link

what kind of quality control outfit are you guys running...how does this happen?....please recover all my inbox emails   *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Please check my reply on the private message area.

Thanks!

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello

Today all of email inbox, sent items, everything suddenly disappered. Everything is gone. I have nothing. I did not manually delete these items. Please let me know what I can do to fix this or restore them. I tried doing the restore from deleted items and nothing happened.

Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

Similar problem here. I created an alias of outlook.com(primary alias now) on my exisiting hotmail.com mail today. After that, my hotmail inbox is all gone. The creation process did not ask me if I want to put my hotmail inbox into a folder or anything. The funny thing is that my hotmail on my android phone still receive and send hotmail email just fine. It's the outlook.com web interface not linking up my hotmail inbox. Please help!!

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 12, 2020 Views 47,898 Applies to: