Question

Q: Junk filter on Windows Live Mail is not working.

the safe list only option in my junk filter is not filtering out unsolicited emails

Original Title: wlm junk filter

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi dadunn,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. I understand that you are encountering issues with the junk filter on Windows Live Mail.

I would like to ask what specific junk filter are you using on Windows Live Mail and how it is now working. Please provide more details about the issue so we can give a more accurate response.

We look forward to your response.

Thank you.

Johan

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

johan, thanks for the reply but I don't know how to be more specific than to say I  have windows 7 and my email comes from live.com.  the filter has options offering varying degrees:  none, low, high, and safe list only.  I use the safe list only option to prevent unsolicited advertisements from entering my account. at some point it stopped filtering those ads. what can you recommend?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi dadunn,

I understand that you are having problems in receiving junk emails, let me assist you with your concern.

Please be informed that you need to set your junk folder to Exclusive to prevent spam emails and also by configuring your blocked senders list and creating an email rule in Outlook.com.

Kindly follow the steps below to minimize or to stop receiving unwanted emails:

Setting your account into Exclusive:

(only messages from your contacts and safe sender’s lists will be allowed to go to your Inbox)

1.             Sign in your Outlook account.

2.             In the upper-right corner of the page, click the Gear icon, and then click More mail settings

3.             Under Preventing junk email, click Filters and reporting.

4.             Under Filters and reporting, select the options Exclusive, and then click Save.

How to use Blocked senders list:

1.             In your Outlook.com Inbox, click the gear icon beside your Profile name.

2.             Click Mail more settings.

3.             Under Preventing junk email, click Safe and blocked senders.

4.             Click Blocked senders.

5.             Type in the domain address in the Blocked e-mail address or domain: field (ex. @lizy.com).

6.             Click the Add to list button.

7.             Repeat steps 4 and 5 to add more entries in the "Blocked senders:" window.

How to create an email rule:

1.             In your Outlook.com Inbox, click the gear icon beside your Profile name.

2.             Click Mail more settings.

3.             Under Customizing Outlook, click Rules for sorting new messages.

4.             Click New.

5.             Under Step 1. Which messages do you want this rule to apply to? Select the Senders address, then Contains, then on the text box provided; you can type either the domain name of the junk mail sender or any words containing the email sender. (You can change these options using the dropdown provided depends on your choice).

6.             Under Step 2. What action do you want to apply? Tick on Delete these messages—don't even put them in my Deleted folder.

7.             Click Save.

You may also try to have a scheduled cleanups for your emails, kindly follow this link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/outlook-clean-inbox#1TC=t1

Microsoft recommends that you follow these guidelines to help reduce junk e-mail:

Don't reply to junk e-mail, even to ask to be removed from the sender's mailing list. The sender may simply use that response to confirm that your e-mail address is valid, and continue to send you junk e-mail. To report the message as junk e-mail, select the message, click Junk.

Remove your e-mail address from any web page, newsgroup, or bulletin board available on the Internet.

To remove your e-mail address from newsletters or mailing lists that are on your safe senders list, you can click Unsubscribe. Microsoft notifies the people who created the newsletter to stop sending it to you.

Note: If you receive junk e-mail that looks as if it was sent from your Outlook.com account, someone may have spoofed (Sending messages with fake or stolen account information) your account information.

I hope this will help you with your concern and feel free to post back.

Thank you,

Sorry this didn't help.

I have this same problem with my grandmother's email account. She does not have Outlook, only Windows Live Mail. I have the safety options set to "Safe List Only" and she still gets 100 spam messages daily. I added those messages to the blocked senders list and the blocked domain list and they STILL all are delivered to her Inbox every day. Please explain if there is a way to fix this in Windows Live Mail.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

80 people were helped by this reply

Hello sjlevine,

Welcome to Microsoft Community Forum. I understand that you're having issues on your Windows Live Mail as you're receiving spam messages. We would like to verify if the same issue happens when you login to http://outlook.com on the web. This is for us to specify if the issue only happens on the program or on the web as well.

We'll wait for your response.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

... fix this in Windows Live Mail.

If junk mail is being delivered to the inbox, the usual remedy is to repair the installation. With all programs closed, type wlarp into the start search box and press Enter. On the page that opens, select the repair option. When it's finished, reboot the computer, launch Windows Live Mail and test.

Noel Burgess | Certified Pedant | Claims to know a bit about Windows Live Mail

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same problem. Started in the last couple of weeks. @live.com address. haven't changed in 10yrs or more. signed up in dial-up era and never had to do anything.

Pls help. it is annoying. l keep moving the mail to junk folder but they still keep coming in in-box.  Thanks MARY

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Mary,

Thank you for response.

I suggest you to access your Email account on another browser and check if the issue still persist.

Hope it helps. Do let us know the status of the issue. If you need further assistance, get back to us. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

... access your Email account on another browser

Syed, there is no browser involved here. Despite appearances, this thread started life as a question about Windows Live Mail and there's no indication that the latest post is about any other product. The browser has no influence on which messages are delivered to which folders in a webmail application.

Noel Burgess | Certified Pedant | Claims to know a bit about Windows Live Mail

Sorry this didn't help.

I cannot receive junk mail at all. there is a circle of dots that just spins around continuously.

What do I do to fix this problem on my laptop?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 4,897 Last updated: May 15, 2018 Applies to: