Update for Windows Live Essentials Mail 2012 (KB3093594) kills WLM 2012

Have been using this program for months now on windows 10 32 bit, and I get an email saying that MS are making changes to Outlook servers and to patch WLM 2012 and a download link.

I applied the patch and now after a few seconds of being open WLM 2012 crashes while updating the calendar.

Anyone know a fix for this? I have taken the patch off by repairing Windows essentials 2012 from the Programs and features dialog, but anyone know why this patch causes WLM to crash after a few seconds?

Tim

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Seems to be ok now after repairing WLM from Programs and Features, then reapplying the patch. I suspect the calendar update was causing WLM to crash.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

I have a number of accounts (Outlook, Gmail and Yahoo) included in my Windows Live Mail. One of the most useful properties of WLM is to be able to view a list of all recent mail from all accounts in one list. Microsoft recommend using the Windows 10 Mail App. However, this does not contain this feature.

Anyway, I trustingly patched my WLM with KB3093594 and promptly experienced the same result as Banger696.

With fingers crossed, I uninstalled Mail from my Windows Live installation and then re-installed it from my old .exe file.

To my relief, all my accounts instantly reappeared with all my emails. All now seems to be OK again.

I strongly advise others to leave KB3093594 well alone at least for now. Hope Microsoft don't totally mess up Windows Live Mail 2012 in the future.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Mine crashed on startup, without any updates of calendar or anything else.  I uninstalled and reinstalled WLM, and it's OK now.  I hope we'll be notified when the patch is fixed, but not holding my breath.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just repaired WLM, but every time I reinstalled the patch, it crashes on calendar.  Hopefully the problem will be corrected before they turn off live mail for us WLM users. and they will inform us that it is fixed.  I had thought Microsoft had got it's act together when they finally fixed all those aborted windows 10 installs.  And don't tell me to use mail, I am sure it is another DUMBED down program for the masses.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You are right, Mail application for Windows 10 is the worst-mail application that I had never seen.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That solution does not work for me at all. In fact, after installing the patch, I can't even attempt a repair of the program as it is not an option.  My only solution was to restore from backup. (I could have gone through the hassle of uninstall, reinstall and reconfigure but restoring was easier.)

This patch needs to be withdrawn. It's a mess.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

After installing the patch, I was unable to send or receive e-mails. I did try a repair using Programs and Features without success so my only option, as I did not have a back up, was to uninstall just the mail program and reinstall it again, I did not have to reconfigure it and it is now working fine again.

Microsoft has certainly made a mess of this patch and should have done more work on it before they released it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Good that you fixed your WLM, ASAtwood.

However, I believe that un-installing actually leaves the WLM data intact?

I found that un-installing/re-installing was very quick. My WLM configuration is quite complicated but on re-installing WLM, it reappeared instantly. :-)

You have a point though. I have read that some of these updates have been decidedly dodgy and it is probably a good idea to do a backup before installing them.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Login to your outlook.com account using a browser.  Does it say Outlook.com or Outlook Mail (Preview)?

KB3093594 should only be installed if you have an outlook.com account that has been upgraded to Outlook Mail (Preview).

If you have more than one outlook.com account, you will have to decide if you want the accounts that have not been upgraded to Outlook Mail (Preview) to work or do you want the accounts that have been upgraded to work.

No Outlook Mail (Preview) accounts - do not install KB3093594.

An account has upgraded to Outlook Mail (Preview) - install KB3093594.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I do not see this explanation in the mail i have received from Microsoft.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 5, 2021 Views 17,183 Applies to: