Windows Live Mail (not Hotmail) sync contacts calendar iPhone

I have a Windows Live Mail desktop email client on my PC - with calendar and contacts. This is not to be confused with Hotmail - I do not have a Hotmail account.

I would like to sync my Windows Live Mail desktop emails, calendar and contacts with my iPhone and vice versa. I have serached everywhere for this, but there are no clear instructions. I know that emails, contacts and calendar can by synced in Outlook with the iPhone via iTunes. Windows Live Mail does not seem to have that. Somewhere I read that one would have to sign up to outlook.com to be able to do that. But I am using my own domain name. Also, outlook.com seems to be a replacement for hotmail.com.

I am a bit desperate - can someone help?

Thank you.

|
Answer
Answer

Synchronization between one device and another is going to involve either an 'always on' connection between them or connections from each to a common third element, 'the cloud'.

As far as email is concerned, you can achieve synchronization if the mail account on both devices uses a synchronizing protocol. For any account other than one with an inbox at http://mail.live.com, that would mean using IMAP. Does your mail service support IMAP?

For contacts and calendar, these can be synchronized between Windows Live Mail and http://contacts.live.com and http://calendar.live.com respectively by signing in in the program with a Microsoft Account. They can in turn be synchronized with your iPhone by following the instructions on the Apple help pages.

You do not have to have a Hotmail or Outlook account. You do have to have a Microsoft Account, which could use the email address on your own domain.

Noel Burgess MVP (Ret'd)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

how would this work if the email is not via mail.live.com? Apple instructions talk about

Tap Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Add Account > Outlook.com.

I think this is just another manifestation of Microsoft's nomenclatorial bamboozlement. 'Hotmail' used to be the generic term for accounts that had a mailbox at mail.live.com. That is now deprecated, and the term to use instead is Outlook(.com), with all the potential that has for confusion with a mail client of the same name. If you have registered your email address as a Microsoft Account and seen the welcome email, then the iPhone app should be able to log into it. You should then be able to specify that you're only interested in contacts and calendar.

I don't know whether the phone will balk at two different accounts using the same email address, one at Outlook.com for contacts and calendar, the other at domain.com for email. You'll just have to try it, and ask for help from Apple if you run into problems. Note that you should for safety's sake have two different passwords, one for the mail account and a different one for the Microsoft Account.

Also, what if Windows Live Mail on the PC has two or three email accounts, but I would want to sync only one of them?

It's the email address that counts: one for the mail account and possibly a different one for calendar and contacts. The second one is the one you use to sign in with in Windows Live Mail.

I was under the impression that Microsost stopped the live service for calendar and contacts?

I don't think so - I use it every day! They're just trying to stop calling anything Windows Live, with not very much success and an awful lot of confusion as a result. Just look at the address of this page.

I'm sure you'll encounter more hurdles as you try to make this work. Please come back here with any questions you may have about the Windows Live Mail end of it.

Noel Burgess MVP (Ret'd)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 2, 2021 Views 13,110 Applies to: