How Do I Effectively Transfer Windows Live Mail: WLM ►WLM ?

I am exporting the email folders from a Windows 7 computer using Windows Live Mail Version 2011 (Build 15.4.3555.0308) and importing them to a new Windows 7 laptop using WLM Version 2011 (Build 15.4.3538.0513). Seems straightforward enough however not all my email nor folders came across. I do have a lot of email & folders, being somewhat of a packrat.

The Export/Import process gives me some of the Folders, with some of the emails, but it is all very messy ... and incomplete. Subfolders are erratic. I have looked around for answers but can’t find any.

I was able to get all of my Contacts (& Groups!) into WLM by (eventually) by using the online sync (instead of Exporting a CSV file, which only gave me A – L names), but it hasn’t been cooperative with my emails.

? = What do I do to get *all* of my email into WLM? Is there some sort of ‘sync’ with the Skydrive or WLMessenger I’m not aware of?

Question Info

Last updated June 21, 2018 Views 1,323 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I just had a similar issue.  My solution was to create the new WLM and not assign any servers, then copy the entire folder from the old WLM to the new location.

All the mail messages, and folders were moved successfully, as were the pop/smtp servers, the only thing that wasnt (it was in user/appdata) were the mail rules, and contacts.

Hope this helps.
Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
http://www.zigzag3143.com/

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

That sounds so simple. Thanks.

That said, I`ve already set up WLM on the new computer. Do you think transferring all the old files in the C//:ProgramFiles/WindowsLive/Mail to the new WLM location would do it? Or do I have to do a complete uninstall of the Windows Live program(s) and then do as you suggest?

Sorry this didn't help.

Given that you have set up WLM on the new computer You need to drag the user/your user name/appdata/local/microsoft/windows live folder to the new machine same location.

The only things you will have to recreate is rules and maybe contacts.

I will be checking to see if you are having any problems.
Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP

Sorry this didn't help.

The user/your user name/appdata/local/microsoft/windows live folder from my old computer was dragged to the new computer and put into the Windows Live folder there ... or more specifically, I replaced all the files in the new Window's Live folder with the ones from the old one.
Nada, meaning everything is exactly the same as it was before doing this.

I rebooted to see if that would make the difference, but it didn't.

Then I realized I probably should have backed up the old Windows Live folder. And I should have double checked with you to ask if you meant the Windows Live Mail folder or just the Windows Live folder.

I expect something has changed, but as of now, I'm not sure what that might be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry this didn't help.

Needs to be the folder I think.  It absolutely works.  When I stumbled accross it the first time I said to myself it couldnt be that easy, but it is.

I am forced to re-install OS every 3 months and have done it dozens of times.

Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks. I took the old user/your user name/appdata/local/microsoft/windows live folder and copied it to the new user/your user name/appdata/local/microsoft/ folder which in turn replaced the Folder's contents again. No change.

► Not to change the subject, but why do you re-install your OS every 3 months?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hum are they both the same OS?  same user name?

RE: clean installs.  I beta test alot of things and the constant changes degrade performance.  I have a vanilla install (with most of my usual apps) on a USB stick and can re-install in about 30 mins.  I am running windows 8 RTM atm (on 2 machines) and in October the retail version comes out so I get to do it again.

I work on another site (www.sysnative.com) and if you are inclined I might be able to help you more there.

Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP

Sorry this didn't help.

Both are the same OS (W7) but the Username is different (one is a nickname, the other my name).

I changed the name of the already-activated WLM on the new computer, then put the WLM folder into the new user/your user name/appdata/local/microsoft/ folderas a trial, since the other didn't work. Nada. There were a number of 'conflicts' though (duplicate files, apparently). And there were 'Missing files' as well. I am going to re-try this, but will copy the folder to the desktop of the new computer first, rather than just accessing it through the network Shared Files.

I won't be doing this immediately as I have actual work to attend to, but thought I'd pose this option to you to see if I am running any risk.

Sorry this didn't help.

The version of WLEssentials on your new machine is older than that on the old one. The last group of the version number is the date of compilation, here 0513 = 13 May 2011 and 0308 = 8 March 2012. There were major changes, particularly in database management, between those two versions (build 3538 and 3555).

I would proceed as follows:

1. Uninstall WLEssentials on the new machine using Uninstall/Change under Programs and Features in Control Panel.
  2. Follow up by running the install/uninstall fixit repeatedly until WLEssentials no longer appears in the list of programs to uninstall.
  3. Move the store folder (by default at %localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail) on the new machine to somewhere else for safe keeping just in case.
  4. Copy the store folder from the old machine to the default location on the new one.
  5. Download the installer for 15.4.3555.0308 and run it while disconnected from the network and with no other programs running, including AV and other security software.

The installer should find the store folder and take it into use. Only saved passwords (which are encrypted using a key based on the user profile) will have to be re-entered. If you normally sign in in WLMail, it may be necessary to remove and re-add the mail account corresponding to the Microsoft Account you sign in with in order to re-establish your credentials at the server.

Noel Burgess | Certified Pedant | Claims to know a bit about Windows Live Mail

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for catching the old/new versions. Strange that it would be so ... but not the strangest thing.

I copied the Storage Folder, as you suggested, from the new computer to my desktop (prior to uninstalling ... just in case). Then I copied the complete folder for WLM to my external HD. (Just in case).

When I went to do the same thing with the old computer, I noted there were very little time needed to move the folder ... because there was only one file in it. It would seem there's another file that has some 'weight' to it, plus many folders & files (Folders = Deleted Items, Drafts, File Cabinet, Inbox, Junk E-mail, Sent Items). So I moved all of that to my external HD as well, after renaming the 'new' folder, so as to not overwrite it.

Next I will do as suggested and uninstall WLE from my new computer, Fixit, download the new, etc. Question is, which of the WLM folders should I bring over to get my mail into the new computer?

Sorry this didn't help.