With Windows 7 my Windows Live Mail is very slow in starting up. Much slower than Windows Mail was in Vista. How can I speed up receiving mail?

With Windows 7  my Windows Live Mail is very slow in starting up. Much slower than Windows Mail was in Vista. How can I speed up receiving mail?

Question Info

Last updated October 19, 2018 Views 35,920 Applies to:
Answer

So you are still struggling with this after three years! You're probably now using a different version from the one you had then, so the following assumes WLMail 15.4.3555 or 16.4.3505.

A lot of things happen more-or-less simultaneously when you launch WLMail. Any one of them might be slowing down the launch, so to find out which, disable as many of them as possible and see whether performance improves. Here are some of them:

1. The message database is loaded.
  2. The calendar is loaded.
  3. The contacts database is loaded.
  4. The program connects to the Internet.
  5. The program conducts a version check.
  6. You sign in to Windows Live services.
  7. Your calendar is updated.
  8. Your contacts are updated.
  9. Your feeds are updated.
  10. The currently selected message is retrieved and displayed.
  11. Your mail accounts are polled for new messages.

You can't do anything about the first three, because they're essential to the functioning of the program. You can stop some of the others, though.

When WLMail is running,

1. Press Ctrl-Shift-O for Options. On the Connection tab, click Change.
    For most users, there will be no active entries on the page that opens.
    Click LAN settings. There should normally be no entries here, either. If Automatically detect settings is selected, deselect it.
  2. Click OK twice, then if Stop signing in is active, click it. This will disable 6, 7 and 8 at the next program start. Confirm.
  3. On the General tab, deselect Send and receive messages at startup. This will disable 11 at the next program start.
  4. Deselect Check for new messages every ... and click OK.
  5. On the Home tab, click Work offline. This will disable 4, 5 and (I think) 9 at the next program start.
  6. Close down WLMail and wait a few minutes while the program does its housekeeping.

Now launch and see how it goes. If there's no improvement, the problem is probably with process 1, 2 or 3, most likely 1 - a corrupt message database.

If the launch is quicker, start re-enabling things systematically one at a time until the fault recurs at launch.

It would also help troubleshooting to have logging enabled. Do this by selecting all the boxes at the foot of the Maintenance page (Options > Advanced > Maintenance). While it takes an expert and probably special tools to decipher the log, the event timings will indicate where any undue delay is occurring.

Noel Burgess | Certified Pedant | Claims to know a bit about Windows Live Mail

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

I came to this forum a few days ago as I began experiencing very slow downloading of emails and freezing in Windows 7 Windows Live Mail which had not been a problem before.

I followed several of the suggested solutions - repairing etc. to no avail.  

I then decided to delete the gmail account which I had added to Windows Live Mail relatively recently, and hey presto, it did the trick.    Once deleted my Windows Live Mail became super fast again.  

Although Windows Live Mail has the facility to add extra accounts like gmail and hotmail, it is easy to check these separately via Internet Explorer.   In my experience, trying to receive email from other than a primary source can cause issues. 

Just proves that when there is a problem with computers it is best to try logical simple solutions before going into complex ones!   Hope this tip may prove useful to others.    

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.