windows live mail error messages windows 7: (0x00000000.2)/(0x8000FFFF.1400)

When I click on live mail icon i receive the following message - windows live mail could not be started. The application was unable to open the windows live mail message store. Windows live mail was unable to locate its messaage data base. If you've moved the database to a new location click OK to reset the database path to that location. Otherwise click Cancel to proceed, any existing messages found will be available under orphaned accounts (0x00000000.2)

I have clicked on both OK and Cancel. I get the same message as follows -Windows live mail could not be started. The application was unable to open the Windows live mail message store. Your computer may be out of memory or your desk is full.  (0x8000FFFF.1400) close

I have 150 gb of available memory and 8 meg of Ram

I am running Windows 7.

Please help

Original title: windows live mail error messages windows 7

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Have your tried repairing your Windows Live Mail? If not, I suggest that you repair it by following these steps.

1. Click Start and select Control Panel.

2. Under Programs, click Uninstall a program.

3. Right-click on Windows Live Essentials and select Uninstall/Change.

4. Click Repair all Windows Live programs.

Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I tired repair and also uninstall/reinstall but still having same problem on Windows 8.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Raghu27,

If you're having the same issue as what the original poster I suggest you repair the Mail.MsMessageStore file, to do this please follow the steps below.

1. Restart the computer (this is to ensure that Live Mail is fully shut down, and that none of it's components are in use when the computer starts)

2. Click Start, type CMD but do not press enter

3. You will see cmd.exe in the search results, right click on it and select Run as Administrator - type your admin password if asked, and if UAC pops up asking premission, allow it

4. You should now see the command prompt, with the following displayed:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]

Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>

5. Copy the following (Ctrl+C)

esentutl.exe -d "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\Mail.MSMessageStore"

Note: the "" are necessary

6. Right click in the command prompt Window, and select Paste, so you now see the following:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]

Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>esentutl.exe -d "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\Mail.MSMessageStore"

7. Press enter. esentutl will now defragment the Live Mail database file

8. Once done, you can close the command prompt, and restart the PC again

If you still encounter the same error after you have tried the steps above you may post back thru this thread and provide the exact error message you received.

Thank you.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same problem; tried to repair through add/remove programs but it only changed the error from 0x8000FFFF.1400 to 0x80070002.  I am afraid to uninstall because I don't want to lose my emails and contacts; will uninstalling/reinstalling cause these to disappear?

I tried your Mail.MSMessage store fix but I think the procedure for getting to the command prompt is different in XP because I am getting C:\Documents and Settings\AA Sue> where AA Sue is the user profile name; the top of the same Command prompt window says C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe.  Nothing happens if you just enter "CMD" under Start then Run so you have to hit enter.  Assume it's due to running XP.

Any further help you can provide would be great.  Just want to open my email without losing the message store!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi SueWS,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. We understand that you're having the same issue but you're afraid to lose your emails after uninstalling your Windows Live Mail.

To avoid losing emails when uninstalling, please make sure you made a backup files for your messages, or you've checked if the e-mail messages appearing in Live Mail is the same with the messages using Web based e-mail.

To make a backup file for your e-mails, contacts and calendars, kindly refer to this link.

After trying to uninstall your Windows Live Mail, please get back to us for any results.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Paul,

I can't open Windows Live Mail at all in order to follow the backup instructions you linked to. Indeed, it was problems with a Norton360 backup file eating up the rest of my entire hard drive (38GB of 71GB) and attempting to fix it that led to the problem with Windows Live Mail.  (the hard drive space issue is resolved.)

I think I may have found the missing database because after defragmenting  the now-freed up hard drive, a series of folders in Outlook Express under Identities were not defragmented; upon looking at those folders (changed over to Windows Live Mail from Outlook Express in 2011), I discovered about 4 folders with a current modification date on them (everything else in the folder was dated 2011) and I suspect this is the missing message store etc. 

Before I uninstall and reinstall Windows Live Mail, I would like to try Vivien_M's solution above but I need assistance getting the Command prompt to the correct place in Windows XP before entering the user prompt she provided.  Also, wondering if "%userprofile% is to be copied as shown or should I insert my user profile name there?   When I open the Command prompt in XP  I get C:\Documents and Settings\AA Sue>, where AA Sue is my user profile name.

Otherwise I am going to run a general backup and proceed with the uninstall. 

My webmail server does not have all the messages dating back to 2005, which I have archived, so would like to backup the files as they were before the error began to occur.  The current webmail doesn't go back that far as my server switched email services awhile back.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi SueWS,

Thank you for getting back to us. With regard to your issue, kindly go to this location C:\Documents and Settings\<userlogon>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail on your computer, check for the .eml files that needs be back up.

Also as for user profile question, you can change your <userprofile>your log in name, but either way it should work fine.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Vivien_M,
My question is not so much how to back up the files; I am running a full backup of my system before proceeding further regardless.  My question is about your instructions for repairing the MSMessageStore in answer to the original poster above.  Is there a different Command prompt for XP users for the solution you mentioned previously for Windows 7 and 8?  When I go to the system's command prompt in  C:\Program Files\Accessories\Command Prompt, I get

C:\Documents and Settings\AA Sue>

where AA Sue is the user profile, and you are saying to copy the repair command (
esentutl.exe -d "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\Mail.MSMessageStore" ) following the Command Prompt

C:\Windows\system32>

in your instructions for Windows 7, above.

Can I use that repair command in DOS from Windows XP, and if so how do I get to the correct 
C:\Windows\system32> prompt from C:\Documents and Settings\AA Sue?

Otherwise will also try uninstalling and reinstalling but from what I have seen on this problem it doesn't usually fix it.

Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello SueWS,

Since you're seeing C:\Documents and Settings\AA Sue> instead of C:\Windows\system32 , please follow the steps below so you can directly go to C:\Windows\system32> .

1. Click the Start button on your desktop, choose Run and type cmd.exe
  2. Type: cd C:\Windows\system32
  3. Type: esentutl.exe -d "%userprofile%\ApplicationData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\Mail.MSMessageStore"

Note that the %userprofile% should be replaced by your user profile name (AA Sue if this is what you're using)

Follow the 6th instruction provided by moderator Vivien_M. on February 13, 2013.

Let us know the results afterwards.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I will try these steps tomorrow when I am back at the shop.  This is what I needed to know; worth a shot.  I'll let you know!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 26, 2022 Views 4,029 Applies to: