Windows live could not be started, Error Code 0x800c0155.2.

I am running windows7 64Bit and i have a problem with windows live mail, My problem started with not being able to send new mail or reply  to mail, i will get an error message , A problem occured while trying to open this message, i searched around for an answer and i tried the instructions to defragment the live mail database file , now the program will not start, i get an error message Windows Live could not be started, Error Code 0x800c0155.2. i tried several times to repair and it did not work, i removed the program and reinstalled and still the same message, can someone help me with this

Question Info

Last updated May 15, 2018 Views 520 Applies to:
Answer

This error seems to afflict everyone who tries the defrag solution*. You should be able to get rid of it as follows:

1. Log on to Windows with an administrator account and ensure that no programs are running.
  2. Use Explorer to navigate to your store folder, probably at
    %localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail
    (Just copy the bold line into the start search box and press Enter)
  3. Right-click on Mail.MSMessageStore and select Properties.
  4. On the Security tab, click Advanced, then open the Owner tab.
  5. If the Current owner box doesn't contain your normal Windows user account, click Edit then Other users or groups
    Type the name of your normal Windows user account into the Enter the object name... box and click Check names. The official name of the account should appear in the format {computer name}\{username}.
    Click OK, select this username in the Change owner to box then OK.
  6. Open the Permissions tab and click Change permissions.
  7. Click Add and type the name of your normal Windows user account into the Enter the object name... box and click Check names. The official name of the account should appear in the format {computer name}\{username}.
    Click OK, select this username in the Permissions box and click Edit.
    Select the checkbox labelled Full control in the Allow column.
  8. Click OK three times to close all dialogue boxes.
  9. Launch Windows Live Mail.

If you get stuck anywhere, Cancel your way out and report back.

* If you're interested, I think the fault arises because you have to run esentutl.exe as administrator. The defrag process makes a temporary copy of the database file (Mail.MSMessageStore), defragments it, then if all goes well copies the temporary file back to the original location. This means that the owner of the new file is the one who created it, i.e. the administrator account, not the user account that owned the original file. When you try to start Windows Live Mail from your normal user account, it suddenly finds that it doesn't have full control of the database file and throws the error 0x800C0155.

Noel Burgess | Certified Pedant | Claims to know a bit about Windows Live Mail

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.