Recovering the Windows Live Mail database...

Hi everyone, I hope somebody can help!

I am running Windows 8.1 and it is currently updated as of today 29 August 2014.

As of 27th August 2014, I have been unable to open WLM to access my email. I keep getting a dialog box with "Recovering the Windows Live Mail database..." and then another pops up stating WLM has stopped working and the only option is to click 'close'.

I have come across several solutions and have tried them all, from creating a fixkey.reg file to uninstalling and/or repairing the WLM. Nothing seems to work. Not even a fresh installation of the Windows Live Essentials (complete) after not having it for 2 days on my system.

I can access my emails via Outlook that is integrated into my system, however, it is not always up to date, and syncing doesn't always work, unless I log into my Hotmail account via IE.

I would rather prefer to be able to use the WLM application as I find it easier and better than using Outlook (integrated software) or via IE.

If anyone has any help or can offer tips that would be greatly appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated October 15, 2018 Views 22,713 Applies to:

Hello. This post was very useful.

This window "Recovering Widows Live mail database" started poping up all of a sudden every time I launch WLM, ad since, I couldn't receive any mail on any account (Pop3).

I followed your procedure, erased the Mail.MSMessageStore files (make a copy on an external HD).

And this time, when I  restart WLM, it works ! I receive all the messages storaged on my webmail servers.

The problem that still remains : how do I get back my archives ? The messages storaged on the Mail.MSMessageStore that I deleted ? I can reinstall it form the HD back up, but then, I will have 2 files with the same function .. What it's going to do ? I don't know ..

I lost all the subfolders that I had before, and don't have any 'Recovered items' folder.

Any idea ?

Thanks

PS : excuse my english, I'm french ..

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

It would have been much better if you'd simply used the Ask a question option on the Participate menu to start your own thread about your unique problem. We'll have to guess what has happened, but we can't guess which version of the program you're using on which operating system. The instructions that Guzz found applied to Windows Live Mail 2008 on Windows XP, and I doubt that that's your situation.

Guzz wasn't able to launch Windows Live Mail. Are you?

If so, before you do anything else, please:

1. Activate Storage folders on the View tab of the ribbon
  2. Press Ctrl-Y to reveal the entire folder tree.
    Can you not see Recovered items with all its sub-folders near the bottom of the tree?

I'm using Windows 8.1 with WLM 2013 and it works each time this problem has occurred (which in the last 18 months is twice)... so it does appear to be generic. However, different operating systems (Granted) will have different workarounds. Seeing as I have not seen an answer from Microsoft themselves - everyone is out for self help and advice. So if my advice has helped people then that's all good and well. However, should the problem be different - then a separate question should be asked. But, and I say that BUT lightly, in 95% of all cases with WLM - the solution I posted will work. On rare occasions it will be something different. I originally found my answer on google... and copied it to text and saved it for future reference... I hope it helps people.

Another thing to note is that on rare occasions, WLM certificate will expire and require Microsoft to update or create a new one and this will automatically be downloaded. Should that fail, i would suggest logging in to Hotmail/Outlook etc online to see if you can still access your emails. Then try uninstalling your current WLM, downloading the new WLM directly from Microsoft and re-install it and try again. Take note of any errors that appear and post them in the relevant forums on Microsoft...

Sorry this didn't help.

It would have been much better if you'd simply used the Ask a question option on the Participate menu to start your own thread about your unique problem. We'll have to guess what has happened, but we can't guess which version of the program you're using on which operating system. The instructions that Guzz found applied to Windows Live Mail 2008 on Windows XP, and I doubt that that's your situation.

Guzz wasn't able to launch Windows Live Mail. Are you?

If so, before you do anything else, please:

1. Activate Storage folders on the View tab of the ribbon
  2. Press Ctrl-Y to reveal the entire folder tree.
    Can you not see Recovered items with all its sub-folders near the bottom of the tree?

Noel Burgess | Certified Pedant | Claims to know a bit about Windows Live Mail

Sorry this didn't help.

I found my emails under "Recovered items/12-30-2104 823/storage Folders" and inside this folder is all my saved emails inside their respective folders categories with an alpha-numeric and .eml (I assume that's the actual email). I can actually view them if I go through all the subfolders from C:XX/XX/XX/XX/XX/XX/XX.eml, you get the idea...So how to I get these subcategories emails back into my Windows Live Mail account when I open my email so I can view them like before from WLM??

Thanks,
Les

Sorry this didn't help.

My address is: Microsoft/WindowsLiveMail/

and then all of my email save folders show up almost like I was in "live mail" with some logs at the bottom and at the top is a "Backup" folder with subfolder "new" and inside that folder is a "edb00001.log" and then "Mail.MSMessageStore" and last "Mail.pat". I'm afraid to delete anything at this point.

Under the subfolder: Microsoft/WindowsLiveMail/Storage Folders

I have all of my former saved email folders but they are all empty. WTF happened?

Thanks,

Les

Sorry this didn't help.

How do I rename my WLM database? I have the exact same problem as Guzz747, except mine just happened on the 29th Dec 2014. I have also had a issue with downloading and installing the windows updates for about  a year. It always tells me I have 3 to DL and install but they never install.

Sorry this didn't help.

As stated in my previous update, I shall now post the sections I used from the article I found as it was the only thing that was entirely relevant to the issue I had:

It appears that your WLMail database is corrupted but WLMail was unable to recover it from a backup, or do a full recovery for some reason.

There are several things you can try, so I will mention a couple from the least to most dramatic. I won't bother you with Esentutl though, since replacing the database is a better option I think.

First though, to be certain your messages remain safe, please make a backup/copy of your WLMail Message Store*.

1. Restore the database backup:

Close WLMail.

Navigate to your WLMail Message Store folder*.

Within it, you will find the database file called 'Mail.MSMessageStore'. After ensuring that the backup** of the database is in place within the folder Backup\new, delete the database file 'Mail.MSMessageStore'.

Restart WLMail.

When WLMail is restarted, it should automatically restore the database file from the backup. A few messages within the Message Store may be 'recovered' during the process and moved to a folder called 'Recovered items' under 'Storage folders'.

If the problem remains:

2. Force a full recovery of database and messages:

During a full recovery, your database will be re-created, and all your folders/messages will be moved into subfolders of a folder called 'Recovered items' under 'Storage folders'.

Close WLMail.

Navigate to your WLMail Message Store folder*.

Within it, you will find the database file called 'Mail.MSMessageStore'. Delete the backup of the database within the folder Backup\new (if a recent compaction of the database has occurred, this backup may not exist).

Delete the database file 'Mail.MSMessageStore'.

Restart WLMail.

When WLMail is restarted, it will automatically re-create the database file, and all e-mail messages within the Message Store will be 'recovered' and moved to appropriately named subfolders within a folder called 'Recovered items' under 'Storage folders'.

Be aware that any messages left on your Mail Service Provider's server for a POP3 account, may be re-downloaded.

You should wait for the new database to index all your relocated messages (may take hours, with high processor usage) before beginning to move them out of the 'Recovered items' folder.

Do not move any folders out of the 'Recovered' items folder. Rather, create a new folder in the desired location and move the recovered messages into it.

You can delete the 'Recovered items' folder when you have moved all of the messages out of it, but be aware that doing so will break the Quick views. To repair the Quick views, see http://liveunplugged.spaces.live.com...90CA!205.entry

*Note that Windows Live Mail's Message Store, in its default location, is a hidden folder, so ensure "Show hidden files and folders" is checked under Folder Options in Windows Explorer.

The default location for XP is: C:\Documents and Settings\<USER_NAME>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail

**After deleting the database file, as long as there is a backup of the database file 'Mail.MSMessageStore' within the ...Backup\new folder, the database will simply be restored from the backup with minimal drama upon next restart of WLMail. However, if that backup has not yet been created, such as after a database compaction has recently occurred, then a *full* recovery of the database and messages/folders will occur.

The above solutions would normally repair problems associated with the database.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

The steps you have stated did nothing to help WLM start correctly.

I am using WLM 2012, as it is the latest version online to download. However, as of this very moment (29/8/14 19:23GMT) I think I may have got it working after I searched my WIN8.1 search engine and found this article:

http://www.vistax64.com/live-mail/188023-windows-live-mail-database-recovery-restore-failed.html

I read the second entry and with a little patience and searching through the system files, I found what it said and is currently syncing. I will post an update and the section of the article I used in full if it is successful.

Sorry this didn't help.

Are you using WLM 2012?

Now of the procedures that you have tried do anything to the WLM database.

Do you have any pop3 accounts setup in WLM?

Rename the WLM database and see if WLM will start.

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail

When WLM closes it may do some housekeeping. 

Do not turn off the computer immediately after closing WLM.  Allow time for WLM to do its' housekeeping.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.