How can I collect log files from Windows Live Mail

How can I collect log files from Windows Live Mail?

Question Info

Last updated June 27, 2019 Views 15,285 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Windows Live Mail troubleshooting logs contain technical information that can help us identify and diagnose issues in Windows Live Mail. Follow the steps below to configure Windows Live Mail to create log files, retrieve log files and remove them.

1.       Configure Windows Live Mail to create log files

i.            For version 14 of Windows Live Mail, follow these steps:

·         Open Windows Live Mail

·         Click on “Tools”

·         Click on “Options”

ii.            For version 15 of Windows Live Mail, follow these steps:

·         Open Windows Live Mail

·         Press Alt + F on your keyboard, then “Options” and then “Mail”

·         Select the “Advanced” tab

iii.            Under Maintenance and Troubleshooting, click “Maintenance”

iv.            In the new window that opened, click on “Store Folder” and copy the path that is shown (we will use this later in removing and retrieving the log file)

v.            Under Troubleshooting, check the "General," "Contacts," "E-mail," "Newsgroup," and "Calendar" boxes and click “Close”

vi.            Click on “Apply” and then on “OK ”

vii.            Close Windows Live Mail as the file may be in use and may not be removed

viii.            Enable Hidden files and folder to allow log files to be collected. Click on the link next to your operating system and perform the relevant steps:

·         Enable hidden files and folders in Windows XP

·         Enable hidden files and folders in Windows Vista

·         Enable hidden files and folders in Windows 7

2.       Retrieve and remove log files

i.            Open Windows Live Mail

ii.            Synchronize your e-mail once again by clicking the “Sync” button    or “Send/Receive”. The updated logs have now been created .

iii.            Click on “Start” and then “Run” (or click in the “Start Search” box if using Windows Vista or “Search programs and files” if using Windows 7).

iv.            Paste the path again that you copied in step (iv) above and hit “Enter”

v.            Once in the “Windows Live Mail” folder, locate and copy the “WindowsLiveMail.log” file

vi.            Upload the log file to private data area that was opened for you by a moderator.

vii.            You can delete the log file “WindowsLiveMail.log” from the “Windows Live Mail” folder if you chose to remove it from your computer.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.