WLM 2012 Hotmail Error 0x800CCC92

3 weeks ago, one of my Hotmail accounts on WLM 2012 started getting error 0x800CCC92.

In WLM 2012 on W7, my Outlook, Gmail, and 2 other Hotmail accounts send and receive OK.

Access to the problem Hotmail account on the web is OK.

Changed password on the web and on WLM. Still 0x800CCC92.

Removed the problem Hotmail account, then re-Added/manually configured it in WLM. Still 0x800CCC92.

Repaired WLM 2012. Still 0x800CCC92.

Created a NEW Hotmail account on Outlook.com. WLM 2012 returns 0x800CCC92 from the server on this NEW Hotmail account.

Since 3 of 5 accounts work properly on WLM 2012, NO NO NO NO...I am not going to uninstall, reinstall, and then post back with the same results, or even worse....no accounts working.

This is an MS server problem. I need the Hotmail accounts fixed at the server.

Copy paste as follows from the existing Hotmail account and the NEW Hotmail account with user names x'd for privacy.

Who and how do I talk to  get it fixed on the servers?

Unable to send or receive messages for the Hotmail (xxxx999a) account. An incorrect password was entered. The next time you send or receive messages, you'll be asked to enter your user name and password for this account.

Server Error: 0x800CCC90

Server Response: -ERR Authentication failure: unknown user name or bad password. [Error="ProxyNotAuthenticated" AuthResult=0 Proxy=CY1PR03MB2377.namprd03.prod.outlook.com:1995:SSL]

Server: 'pop3.live.com'

Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC92

Protocol: POP3

Port: 995

Secure(SSL): Yes

Unable to send or receive messages for the Hotmail (xxxx0999) account. An incorrect password was entered. The next time you send or receive messages, you'll be asked to enter your user name and password for this account.

Server Error: 0x800CCC90

Server Response: -ERR Authentication failure: unknown user name or bad password. [Error="ProxyNotAuthenticated" AuthResult=0 Proxy=SN2PR0501MB880.namprd05.prod.outlook.com:1995:SSL]

Server: 'pop3.live.com'

Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC92

Protocol: POP3

Port: 995

Secure(SSL): Yes

Question Info

Last updated September 18, 2018 Views 1,868 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

3 weeks ago, one of my Hotmail accounts on WLM 2012 started getting error 0x800CCC92 ...

Created a NEW Hotmail account on Outlook.com. WLM 2012 returns 0x800CCC92 ...

This is an MS server problem. I need the Hotmail accounts fixed at the server ... 

Who and how do I talk to  get it fixed on the servers?

If you sign in to these accounts at mail.live.com, you'll see that they are both on the new Outlook Mail platform.

The older one was migrated three weeks ago, and new accounts are automatically Outlook Mail accounts.

When viewing Outlook Mail, click the settings cog  and select Options. Under Mail > Accounts > POP and IMAP, ensure that POP is enabled and the deletion option you want selected. Note the name of the new POP3 server - pop-mail.outlook.com. The SMTP server can be left as smtp.live.com using port 587.

PS: I wonder why you're using POP3 to access Hotmail accounts when you could be synchronizing them so you have the same content in the account folders both in Windows Live Mail and at mail.live.com. You'll find instructions for setting up an account to use IMAP in this article: Windows Live Mail and Outlook Mail

Noel Burgess | Certified Pedant | Claims to know a bit about Windows Live Mail

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.