Windows live mail..folders...two have disappeared. How to I get them back.

Folders on left side of screen in windows live mail.
My Art folder and politics folder have disappeared.
How do I get them back?

Question Info

Last updated July 1, 2018 Views 2,735 Applies to:

Hi,

I apologize for the late reply.  I understand that you want to retrieve folders that dispappeared.  Please be informed that you may be able to selectively recover the deleted folders using the Previous Versions component. You will need to know the name of the folders that were deleted. Here is the step by step procedure.

1. You will first need to select the Show hidden files option.

a. Open Windows Explorer and click Organize / Folder and search options. Click the View Tab.

b. Place a check mark in the Show Hidden files, folders and drives option. Click Apply/OK.

c. Close and restart Windows Explorer.

2. Open the WLM Store folder.

a. Navigate to the following folder.

C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail

(Where 'your name' is the name of the account that you use to logon to Windows 7)

b. In this folder you will see all of the WLM storage folders. Each email account will have its own group of folders.

c. Any general storage folders that you created will under the main Storage Folder item.

3. Make a copy of the Windows Live Mail folders previous version.

a. Right click the Windows Live Mail folder and select Properties / Previous Versions Tab.

b. After the list populates, select a version of the folder with a date and time prior to when the folders were deleted.

c. Click the Copy Button. In the Copy dialog box, select the Desktop as the location to place the copied folder.

4. Move the previous versions of the deleted folders to the WLM store folder.

a. Go to the Desktop and open the copied WLM folder. Locate the folders that were deleted.

b. Right click the folder and select Copy. Go to the current WLM storage folders and paste the folder into the same location where it was deleted from.

After you have retrieved all of the deleted folders, you can delete the copied WLM previous version folder from the Desktop.

Please let us know if the issue still persists. 

Thank you. 

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have all my missing storage folders copied and on my desktop.  Now what?  The instructions ^ above are confusing and complicated.  I have 64 bit Vista, running Windows Live Mail and I don't know what I did that made my storage folders move from the view pane.
I don't know what they mean by a signature display???

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Elaine W in MO,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. We are happy to help you with your concern.

You said that you have copied all your missing storage folders on your desktop. If you saved all your missing storage folders on your desktop, please follow steps below on how to import messages to your Windows Live Mail.

1. Open Windows Live Mail.

2. Click the blue tab on the upper left side of your Windows Live Mail.

3. Click "Import messages" and select the format you want to import email from.

4. Select the location of the messages you want to import.

5. Click "Next" and 'Finish."

6. Check your imported messages on Windows Live Mail under "Imported folder."

We hope this will help. If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Regards,

Carissa J.

Sorry this didn't help.

so how do i do this when using windows 8.1 - no previous versions to be found at step 3 in original solution?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello pavlos200,

Welcome to Microsoft Community Forum. First, I would like to apologize for not replying to your post in a timely manner.

As for your inquiry about not being able to follow the steps as you're using Windows 8.1, the equivalent of the previous version panel within Properties is the History that you can see on the upper side of the screen when you go to C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail.

We would also like to verify if you can still see these folders when you login to http://outlook.com. If yes, we advice that you reconfigure your account so that your folders will sync. To do this, kindly follow the steps within this link(Follow the steps of To remove an email account then To add an email account).

In case the folders are not on Outlook.com and were not able to see previous version of Windows Live Mail, we're sorry to inform you that we cannot retrieve these folders on our end. What we can suggest is that you make a back-up of your folders within the computer so that in case issue like this happens, you'll be able to recover your files.

If you have other inquiries regarding Windows Live Mail, please let us know. We'll be here to provide assistance.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

1. I see no ‘History’ when i go to C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail.

2. The folders are not there when i log into Outlook.com – that’s why i was contacting you.

3. I have another computer that has been offline for some months on which i also used the same Windows Live account until some months ago. Will this have the files and, if so, can they be retrieved from there?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for getting back to us.

The reason why you cannot see the folders on Windows Live Mail is because it is no longer available when you logged into Outlook.com. Live Mail is only fetching the files that you have on the web (Outlook.com).

With regard to your 3rd question, you will not see any folders on your another computer as well.

To recover lost emails, please click on this link for better assistance.

Note: To other users that are also experiencing issues with lost emails in Outlook.com, kindly refer to the link that I've provided.

Should you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.