Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0E

On September 13th, 2013 my system installed scheduled Windows7 Updates.  From that point on I can neither "send" nor "receive" email. 

The error message in it's entirety is:

The connection to the server has failed.

Subject 'xoxoxoxo'
Server: 'smtp.verizon.net'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0E
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 465
Secure(SSL): Yes
Socket Error: 10060

I CAN send and receive mail by way of webmail at verizon.net.

I contacted Verizon Tech Support.  I was told to change my Incoming Server from "incoming.verizon.net" to "pop.verizon.net".
I was told to change my Outgoing Server from "outgoing.verizon.net" to "smtp.verizon.net"

After changing the server IDs there was no difference.

Verizon switched the Outgoing Port a long time ago from 25 to 465.
My Incoming Port is 995.
The Outgoing Port is checked to "My server requires authentication" and "Uses the same settings as the Incoming Server".
Both Ports are checked to "This Server requires a secure connection (SSL)"

After 50 minutes on the phone with remote control of my system, I was told the problem was not on their end and was told to go to the web and see if I could find an answer there.

I have run Norton Utilities and cleaned and compacted my Registry.

I have uninstalled all Windows Essentials including Windows Live Mail.
I have downloaded and reinstalled Windows Live Mail.

I have followed all the instructions in the replies to various community messages.

I am still unable to Send or Receive email.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Question Info

Last updated August 6, 2018 Views 65,297 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Joe,

Thank you for posting your concern with a detailed description here in the Microsoft Community forum.

We perfectly understand that you need help to be able to send and receive emails using Windows Live Mail. Let me assist you on this matter and rest assured that I will definitely do my best to help you sort this out.

Please be informed that there are several possible reason why did you encounter the error message after an attempt to send or receive emails on your Windows Live Mail. Kindly visit the help article provided below for more information and proper steps that you can perform on your end that may help you in resolving the issue:

How can I resolve machine configuration issues in Windows Live Mail?

Joe, if there's anything else that I can help you with, please do not hesitate to reply here and we will further assist you.

Regards,
Dhenz S.

94 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your quick reply...

I checked the link you provided and followed the directions found there up to a point.

The date and time of my system are correct so I proceeded to the next step involving registration of DLL files.

·         regsvr32 softpub.dll

iv.            Repeat step iii with the following commands.

·         Regsvr32 wintrust.dll

·         REGSVR32 initpki.dll

The first two DLLs registered properly but the third "initpki.dll" generated an error saying the file could not be found.

Could you please provide information on steps to recover from this problem.  A search of my system does not locate the missing file.  It is not in the Recycle Bin either.

A search for the file on the internet provides a number of locations to download the DLL, but I am very wary of downloading anything from unknown sites.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Bill,

We're sorry for the confusion. From the error message that you've provided, it is possible that there's an issue with your server connection. We would like to verify some information from you to investigate your concern.

1. What type of Internet connection is being used? Is it DSL, wireless, LAN, etc.?

2. How is the account configured in Windows Live Mail, is it Delta sync or POP/IMAP?

3. Are you encountering issues when logged into web?

In the meantime, please reconfigure your account in Windows Live Mail to re-establish your account connection. To do this, remove and re-add your account. Note: Before removing an account, check that the messages and contacts you want saved are available when you sign in to the web version. If some of your messages and contacts are available only in Live Mail, export your messages before removing the account. See How do I import and export email, contacts, and calendars with Windows Live Mail?.

Try accessing your account using POP3 connection and set SMTP port to 587 with TLS or SSL.

For more information, please refer to the link below:

How can I resolve software configuration issues in Windows Live Mail?

We look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you!

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

1. Has this account ever worked in Windows Live Mail?
  2. Close all other windows, disable your security program and send yourself a simple test message. Does that work? (Re-enable your security program).
===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== =====
☞ Avoid a post. Backup your data. ☜

Bruce Hagen
MVP: 2004 ~ 2010
2014 ~ Present
Imperial Beach, CA

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Bruce,

Thanks for the reply.

We've had no problems at all with our email until Friday the 13 of September.  I got a message telling me that Windows Updates were ready to install.  I installed them and we haven't been able to send or receive since.

I'm still curious as to why the initpki.dll is missing.  As stated in a earlier reply it could not be found when I was following the suggestion to register the three DLLs.

I turned off all Norton Internet Security and sent a test email to my account using Firefox and the Verizon Mail Website then opened Live Mail and tried to receive.  Got the same error.

Thanks again.

Sorry this didn't help.

Do you have a restore point prior to the 13th?

Norton is bad enough on it's own, I am really worried that it screwed up your registry. They never need cleaning and I have no clue as to what Norton means by "compressing", but it doesn't sound healthy.

Bruce Hagen
2014 ~ Present
Imperial Beach, CA

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried a Restore, but for some reason the only Restore Point available was the Friday the 13th Windows update point.  When I tried that I received an error message telling me the Restore was unsuccessful.

What about the missing DLL???  I would think that completely uninstalling and reinstalling Live Mail would have corrected that?  I see sites on the Internet that tell me I can download it, but I don't trust any of those.

Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

You might want to ask about the missing initpki.dll in the Repair and Recovery forum. I wouldn't trust the Websites either. I believe that dll is a part of your OS and not WLMail which would explain why reinstalling WLMail didn't fix it.

Bruce Hagen
2014 ~ Present
Imperial Beach, CA

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Bruce,

I went to the Repair and Recovery Forum as you suggested.  The said I should uninstall all the updates that took place on 9/13, the day the email problem began.

I did that, restarted the computer and tried again to send and receive.  No Luck, and no further suggestions yet.

I didn't expect the uninstall to locate and reinstall the initpki.dll, but I gave it a try anyway. 

Still no one there gave any suggestions on where to locate and how to reinstall the initpki.dll.

Thanks for trying.

Bill

Sorry this didn't help.