Windows live mail error code: 0x800CCC79

I used Windows Live for 3 accounts with Vista for a couple of years and it was great! Just got a new computer with Windows 8 and downloaded Windows essentials/live mail. I've set up the 3 accounts exactly as they were in Vista.  One account can receive email, but not send. The other two cannot send or receive.

Original Title: windows live mail 2012 and Windows 8

Question Info

Last updated July 30, 2018 Views 2,038 Applies to:

Hi Hassinge,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. To help us better understand the actual cause of the problem, can we ask you some questions?

• Do you receive any error message when you try to send e-mails from those 3 accounts? If yes, we need you to post the exact and complete details of the error message.
  • Provide us the 3 accounts that having issue in Windows Live Mail. You may submit this sensitive information in the private message area that we initiated on your post.

Note: You need to be signed in to the Microsoft Community forum to view the link. Just click on "You have a private reply to this message" link just above your post to view the message.

We also need you to reply back to this post if you already provided the information on the private data area. This will help facilitate our actions regarding your issue.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Sorry, I haven't responded sooner.
Here is the error message I get. I have used the same login information

The message could not be sent. The setting for your outgoing email [SMTP] server might need to be configured. To find the server settings for *** Email address is removed for privacy ***', please contact your email service provider.

Subject 'test'

Server Error: 554

Server Response: 554 5.7.1 [R8] Authentication Failed, must login.

Server: 'smtp.centurylink.net'

Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC79

Protocol: SMTP

Port: 587

Secure(SSL): No

The "*** Email address is removed for privacy ***" account's incoming and outgoing SMPT server is the same: mail.coursetrends.com. Yet it uses the server from one of my other accounts I've also set up in Live Mail.

Sorry this didn't help.

Server Response: 554 5.7.1 [R8] Authentication Failed, must login.

Right-click on the account name in the folder pane and select Properties. On the Servers tab, ensure that My server requires authentication is selected. Click the Settings button, select Log on using and enter your Centurylink email address and password.

Having done so, click Work offline and remove any unsent messages from the outbox (below the account folders in the folder pane). Then close down WLMail and wait a few minutes before re-launching. Compose a new test message with a different subject and send it to yourself. Post any new error message in your reply. 

it uses the server from one of my other accounts I've also set up in Live Mail.

That's quite a common arrangement for SMTP servers. What's the problem?

Noel Burgess | Certified Pedant | Claims to know a bit about Windows Live Mail

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

We understand your concern about not being able to access your account in Windows Live Mail and we will help you.

In addtion to what ¡Firedog has suggested, these are the possible reasons why you are not able to access your account:

1. Incorrect POP settings (usually the SSL option for SMTP)

2. Firewall blocking ports (usually port 25)

We suggest that you reconfigured your account in Windows Live Mail. You may refer to this link on how to reconfigure your account:

How do I add an account to Windows Live Mail?

Also, for  the firewall you may want to disable the security software/ firewall to isolate the issue. Please refer to this link for information and troubleshooting steps:

How can I resolve machine configuration issues in Windows Live Mail?

Kindly let us know the results. Your cooperation and understanding is highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi

Your suggest might be the email in the out mail worked a treat thanks for the fix.

Sorry this didn't help.