Windows Live Mail error 3219

Now first off , i want to make sure to whomever replies that i am not using the Web Based Email  , i am using Windows Live Mail version 2009 ON MY PC , as i have seen several posts about this and replies are given to work around this using IMAP ONLINE  , i do not use ONLINE webpage based email

With that said , i just got this error and can't receive emails for my Hotmail account  , i do not like nor do i want to "convert" to Outlook  , its the same crappy Outlook it was in Windows 95  , it looks like garbage and its functionality is less than useless

With that said  , how can i get/force/make my Windows Live Mail v.2009 work on my Windows 7 Pro  PC again (not online Outlook , or anything else online) i want it to open and work within my Windows 7 PC as it has prior to today

Any "helpful" suggestions or answers as to how to get what i currently have , working again , as i do not want to "migrate" to junk" that Microsoft is trying to FORCE its customers to use  , i don't want it , and will not use it  , it's just like Windows 10 (which i will never switch to) , its functionality is poor at best and its just a outdated product that i never liked in the 90's and i like it less now , especially since its the same clunky poorly designed junk email program it was back then  , how Microsoft considers this as a "upgrade" is beyond me  , its a downgrade (Windows 10 and Outlook)

So as i mentioned  , does anyone have any HELPFUL suggestions or preferably a FIX to get my Live Mail working again , as it did before today without using some "online" web based email  ???

Any Help that does not direct me to how to fix OUTLOOK ONLINE would be appreciated  , as i don't use Outlook and i don't get my email thru webpages  , so i need a reply that is pertinent to my actual issue using Live Mail within my PC (a program  not a online webpage based email)

Every time i click HELP in Windows Live Mail to find a solution , it directs me to sign in to a Outlook Web Based email , and i refuse to use it , and it gives no HELP to the actual issue or error , so like usual Help is no help at all

Thanks ..... Jim

Question Info

Last updated May 15, 2018 Views 7,394 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

... does anyone have any HELPFUL suggestions or preferably a FIX to get my Live Mail working again ...

I'll give it a go, with much trepidation ...

... how can i get/force/make my Windows Live Mail v.2009 work on my Windows 7 Pro  PC again

That version of the program was released in 2008. It was superseded in 2010 by a new version for use on versions of Windows later than XP. Another new version was released in 2012 for Windows 7, so yours is way out of date. The latest version is available here: Download Windows Essentials. There are a few provisos about upgrading, so please post back before embarking if you decide to do so.

... replies are given to work around this using IMAP ONLINE  , i do not use ONLINE webpage based email

Let's try and get this straight. IMAP is a protocol (a standardized set of commands) that mail clients like Windows Live Mail can use to synchronize mail messages and folders with those on a mail server like Hotmail. Until now, you've been using a similar protocol called DeltaSync to do the same thing. Hotmail accounts are being migrated to new servers that don't support DeltaSync, so IMAP is the obvious alternative. There's no such thing as 'IMAP online'.

Because your version of the program is so outdated, I'm not sure whether you'd be able to follow the instructions in this article: Windows Live Mail and Outlook Mail

Noel Burgess | Certified Pedant | Claims to know a bit about Windows Live Mail

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

... does anyone have any HELPFUL suggestions or preferably a FIX to get my Live Mail working again ...

I'll give it a go, with much trepidation ...

... how can i get/force/make my Windows Live Mail v.2009 work on my Windows 7 Pro  PC again

That version of the program was released in 2008. It was superseded in 2010 by a new version for use on versions of Windows later than XP. Another new version was released in 2012 for Windows 7, so yours is way out of date. The latest version is available here: Download Windows Essentials. There are a few provisos about upgrading, so please post back before embarking if you decide to do so.

... replies are given to work around this using IMAP ONLINE  , i do not use ONLINE webpage based email

Let's try and get this straight. IMAP is a protocol (a standardized set of commands) that mail clients like Windows Live Mail can use to synchronize mail messages and folders with those on a mail server like Hotmail. Until now, you've been using a similar protocol called DeltaSync to do the same thing. Hotmail accounts are being migrated to new servers that don't support DeltaSync, so IMAP is the obvious alternative. There's no such thing as 'IMAP online'.

Because your version of the program is so outdated, I'm not sure whether you'd be able to follow the instructions in this article: Windows Live Mail and Outlook Mail

OK , i first wanted to say , i use version 2009 because that is the only version that is any good when using/attaching photos  , the 2010 2011 2012 versions are dumbed down  , kind of like how Windows 10 took away almost all user control instead of giving us more like we need/want , and how generic Outlook always has been  , i wish Windows Movie Maker was not part of Windows Live because i only like version 6.0 , the others took away a lot of user functions for editing , again , which is why i use 2009 Live Mail  

It allows photos to be resized with text added and other features that all the other/newer versions do not have anymore (why ????) , so i really need to work around this version of Live Mail  , i was not trying to be a jerk , it just makes me mad when i go to use my email and it worked fine 30 minutes prior , then it does not work anymore because Microsoft decided for me what i needed to use , and did not give me the option to not "migrate" downhill and backwards like it seems they are forcing everyone to do    , it seems if its not broke , Microsoft will break it and force everyone to "upgrade" to stuff that is not a upgrade 

Anyway , thanks for taking the time to reply and i will try to look over what you linked , and see if i can get it to work...again , not trying to be a jerk , just pissed because i don't want this   , everything was fine/perfect as it could be the way it was  , i think before Microsoft implements any more changes, they should email EVERY user , even if it takes 3 years to talk to everyone , then that's how it should be  , but EVERY user should have a say and a choice on how their PC is used/run/controlled , as this is a huge inconvenience to me and i would guess , many others who feel the same way from what i have read by all the complaints in these forums and when doing a Google search ....and by the way , Bing kind of sucks as well for a Search Engine , it takes you everywhere , but to what your actually searching for  , which is why i only use Google , and Firefox  (can't stand IE either , sorry) , that way i have control over what i want or dont want to view

So now that is out of the way

As far as the IMAP goes , i was reading other posts about this issue , as it seems a lot of people besides myself are not happy about this "migration" to something none of us want or like either  , but in reading the replies from you guys , they kept saying it was for Outlook that the Help in Live Mail keeps directing me to , its a web page/based email , and they were talking about the IMAP to do with that , which my email is physically on my PC as opposed to your Outlook which is on a website/page/internet based  , which is completely different from what i have , so i was assuming that is what they were discussing is the WEB BASED email as opposed to what i have    , sorry for the confusion   , i will read thru this when i get a chance (i have to get up early and will be gone most of the day tomorrow so i can't do it right now)

Hopefully it will fix my email and i won't have to go thru this again.....ever...., as mentioned numerous times  , i do not like nor do i want to waste time with Outlook  , its always been a poor email and by the looks of it , its been 21 years and it has not gotten any better , in fact now i think it looks and is less functional than it was in 1995 , but so is Windows  , go figure ... both look like they were designed by a 16 year old , FOR a 16 year old  , Win 8-8.1-10 have nothing i like at all , its sad that there is not 1 function in any of them that i like , but if i had the choice i would still use XP-SP1

Sorry for the ramble  , i will try your solution within the next few days and see if it works , if not i will let you know my findings ....Thanks .... Jim

Sorry this didn't help.

web page/based email does not use IMAP.

Sorry this didn't help.

If you find an answer please make sure to post it as I am having the same problem but using Windows Live Mail 2012 instead of 2009 . I hope too that it is not a force on because I believe too that Microsoft is failing at "bettering" its products and think the days of Windows XP are much better and the golden years of Microsoft. And hopefully they actually read all of this to realize they aren't bettering themselves.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have same problem  hate outlook... and I can not get mail because of error 3219   which is not going anywhere because I truly hate outlook.  I will end up not using computer at all refuse to use outlook

Sorry this didn't help.

I can not get mail because of error 3219  

Please see this article: Windows Live Mail and Outlook Mail

Sorry this didn't help.

I was able to get the IMAP working with my Live Mail 2009  , but it is really slow and clunky now , it hangs and takes forever to download or send emails , it does work again , but its nothing like it was , but its still 100 times more functional than Outlook, its just not the "fix" i was hoping for  , is there any way to make it work like Live Mail worked with DeltaSync ?? , as that is far superior to IMAP from what i can see  , IMAP seems to be hanging on every action , even after the emails download , i click on them to read and they just sit there , then after 10 or more seconds they finally open , same goes for deleting a email , i click "delete" and it takes 10-20 seconds before the email actually deletes  , so i am not really impressed with IMAP  , it is about as useful as Windows 10 or Outlook  , Windows 3.1 was better than either of these programs  , anyway  , any suggestions as how to get the sluggishness out of IMAP ?? , it acts like i have 500mb of ram not 4 gigs when getting emails  , all other programs work fine (all programs that were not "forced" up/downgrades that is) , its that slow ....Thanks ...Jim

Someone please tell Bill , newer is not always better !

Sorry this didn't help.

I have been reading several posts about slow email , and all the ones that are slow are IMAP  , everyone says it is only used for people with Apple that can't use Pop3  , everyone says it is antiquated and slow....so my question is , WHY is Microsoft forcing us to use this junk , if what we have been using all along with Windows Live Mail is better and more efficient ??? , yet they take that away ????

I need to FIX my email not make it as crappy as outlook  , so can someone tell me how to Fix this speed issue IMAP has now created in my prior perfect working 2009 Windows Live Mail ?????

What can i use besides IMAP ??? to make my Live Mail work now that Microsoft broke it for no reason other than to force me to use junk that never worked before and after all this time is still junk , and why it forces its customers to use inefficient junk instead of what was tried and true and actually works and functions perfectly till they took it away from us , for no logical reason and replaced it with what they replaced IMAP with , which is  what Live Mail used for years and actually worked , now they went backwards to IMAP again and now nothing works ?????

Can someone give me something i can use aside from IMAP ???????

Sorry this didn't help.

[IMAP] is only used for people with Apple that can't use Pop3  ... everyone says it is antiquated and slow....

POP dates from 1984, POP3 from 1988. IMAP first appeared in 1986, IMAP4 in 1992. Which is the more antiquated?

WHY is Microsoft forcing us to use this junk , if what we have been using all along with Windows Live Mail is better and more efficient ???

DeltaSync was introduced in 2006 as an IMAP-like protocol that synchronizes both mail and contacts with Hotmail accounts. Calendar sync was introduced a couple of years later. It connects client and server using HTTP (as browsers do). Better synchronization protocols were introduced later, and the latest versions can be used on different platforms like iOS and Android as well as Windows. When Hotmail became Outlook.com in 2013, the writing was already on the wall. Now that Outlook.com has become Outlook Mail on a completely different platform, Microsoft took the decision not to invest the considerable engineering effort required to provision half a billion accounts for DeltaSync for the (relative) handful of users committed to DeltaSync - those with Windows Live Mail and those with Office Outlook versions 2007 and older. I have seen a figure of 3.5 million for the number of users of Windows Live Mail worldwide, which is peanuts in the big scheme of things.]

Windows Live Mail's handling of IMAP was enhanced considerably with the introduction of v. 2011 six years ago.

Sorry this didn't help.

[IMAP] is only used for people with Apple that can't use Pop3  ... everyone says it is antiquated and slow....

POP dates from 1984, POP3 from 1988. IMAP first appeared in 1986, IMAP4 in 1992. Which is the more antiquated?

WHY is Microsoft forcing us to use this junk , if what we have been using all along with Windows Live Mail is better and more efficient ???

DeltaSync was introduced in 2006 as an IMAP-like protocol that synchronizes both mail and contacts with Hotmail accounts. Calendar sync was introduced a couple of years later. It connects client and server using HTTP (as browsers do). Better synchronization protocols were introduced later, and the latest versions can be used on different platforms like iOS and Android as well as Windows. When Hotmail became Outlook.com in 2013, the writing was already on the wall. Now that Outlook.com has become Outlook Mail on a completely different platform, Microsoft took the decision not to invest the considerable engineering effort required to provision half a billion accounts for DeltaSync for the (relative) handful of users committed to DeltaSync - those with Windows Live Mail and those with Office Outlook versions 2007 and older. I have seen a figure of 3.5 million for the number of users of Windows Live Mail worldwide, which is peanuts in the big scheme of things.]

Windows Live Mail's handling of IMAP was enhanced considerably with the introduction of v. 2011 six years ago.

So as i mentioned you are using something from 1986 , but you think its better ???  , every post i read about IMAP says its LESS efficient than Pop3  , so why waste the time ??? , because its NOT better thats why  , or better yet why not leave the Pop3 accounts alone altogether ???  , you know like why not leave support for XP and Windows 7 , i will tell you why , because its BETTER 

So in all your nostalgic rambling , as typical of replies   , you mentioned nothing about my main question , which is what can i use that works like Pop3 , since as mentioned , its better and faster  , i will not use Outlook , so i need something that works with Live Mail , like what worked with it before that did not need to be phased out , except to FORCE people to use the IMAP junk and no other reason

As for the majority of your customers use it , its because they were forced to use it  , i would bet if given a poll (i never got one) the majority of customers would trash Windows 8 on , and opt to keep XP and 7 as is , and would also keep Live Mail ,,,, again as mentioned , "if" given the choice  , as a example , my mom is 92 and almost blind , and she hates 8 , 10 , and Outlook  , so we have her set up with Windows 7 and Live Mail , which now she can't use and now struggles to see her emails ....thanks for nothing  and making someones life miserable  , this is how your poor decisions affect others not in your 16 year old's age test group ..!!!!

No one "transitioned" to Outlook  , everyone was "forced" to switch  , given the "choice" i would bet the numbers of people wanting to keep Live Mail would far outnumber those that "like" or "accepted" Outlook  ... big difference  , that , you can't sugar coat with your biased misinforming the customers  non-fact "fact"  , the reality is , its a Microsoft Agenda , not a customer response that enacted this "transition" you claim was necessary  , the thing is , nothing is necessary in any of this  , that i know is fact ,, i know no one that likes Outlook , or prefers Win 8 or 10 to XP or 7  , no one ,  a lot are leaving Microsoft because of this "transition"  ... just sayin ... so don't include the majority of the populous in your inclusion of "they" wanted this transition  , i will bet the minimal numbers are for your "transition" not the other way around as you claim  , and as seen by the responses to my questions , i would say it proves , i am in the Majority , not the Minority

Maybe if you polled the "public" instead of just the people that work for Microsoft , you might get a more accurate response for your polls  , as mentioned , i was never "asked" , i was "told" i need to transition  , big difference  , the majority of people will do what you say if you say its in their best interest , but , if you ask them their opinion , they will most likely use what works best for them , and the majority would not have "transitioned" ,, again , big difference in how the "transition" is implemented or how its "forced" on people  . people were forced , not asked  , i know i was not , and complained many times i received the automated "force" email stating i "must change"  , not once was i or anyone else "asked" if they wanted to change  .. again , big difference

Sooooo , how do i get my 2009 Live Mail to work like it did before the forced change ???  , i need a actual answer please !!! , and 2011-2012 Live Mail is not as good as 2009 , its less user friendly and much less functional , and is dumbed down from 2009 which is why i use 2009 , because its good  , the others , not so much

What Microsoft needs to do is just give us what we had , that actually works , back  , that would fix the problem Microsoft created , instead of typing on a forum about issues we did not cause , but need to fix , because it was a poorly thought out idea to "transition" , when what worked fine could have been left alone  , maybe Microsoft needs to "transition" to its customers needs , instead of the other way around

Sorry this didn't help.