Windows Live Mail does not sort/show e-mail properly by date

In the last week or so when I receive new e-mails in my Win 7, Windows Live Mail, the e-mail shows the correct date/time but many of them, but not all of them, get buried in between old e-mails that are several months older, instead of being listed at the top of the mail. I have tried changing the listing option from ascending to descending order and back several times without any correction of the issue.

What is troubling is that some of the e-mails do list at the top properly, but others do not even with the correct date and time. It's as if the e-mail is being sorted by some method other than date??? To the best of my knowledge I have not changed any Windows Live Mail settings that would change how the new e-mails are sorted.

I checked the forum and self-help and could not find any answers that were appropriate for this issue.

I scan daily for SPAM and use anti-virus software. Nothing in my PC has been changed in over a year by me.

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Jorge

Sorry to ask such a basic question. Are you sorting by "date" on the left hand side?

Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
http://www.zigzag3143.com/

56 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks,

Yes I have "date" checked in the "columns to be viewed" list and up until a week or so ago it was working fine. However that is not a screen for setting the sorting priority as far as I can tell. It's for what info. you desired to be displayed.

I may be missing something but I do not see a drop-down menu on the left side to define the sort priority - which I haven't changed?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

To investigate the issue, please verify to us if you have installed updates for Windows 7. If not, please do so. Then let's repair Windows Live Mail by following the steps below:

1. Go to Control Panel.

2. Click
Uninstall a Programs.
3. Select
Windows Live Essentials.
4. Click
Uninstall/Change.
5. On the next dialog, select
Repair all Windows Live programs.

By doing the above steps, we are eliminating the possibility that a corrupted Live Mail is causing the issue. Please post back with the results.

For more details, please refer to this link:

One or more Windows Live programs didn't install. What went wrong?

Before repairing your Windows Live Mail, I suggest that you back all important files especially if you have an account set up in Live Mail. To do this, click this link for directions:

How do I import and export email, contacts, and calendars with Windows Live Mail?

Thanks!

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There are several settings that affect the the way the message list is sorted.

• View > Message list > One-line view.
    This gives the greatest flexibility in sorting.
    • Right-click on a column heading to add and change columns;
    • Left-click to sort by the selected field;
    • Click again to reverse the sort order;
    • Sorting by a non-date field (e.g. From) will show messages with the newest uppermost regardless of the previously-selected date sort order and regardless of the order of columns.

• View > Conversations.
    • This command is only available when the message list is sorted by a date field;
    • With Conversations on, messages with the same subject (or referring to the same subject) are grouped together.

Note: This is a departure from the traditional system of grouping messages on the basis of the In-Reply-To: or References: headers. In the event of a conflict, messages are sorted by subject regardless of the reference headers. This can give strange results: a new message with a common subject (e.g. Hi! or Re: Hi! ) will sort with older messages with the same subject, whereas a message in a thread where the sender has changed the subject will be divorced from the thread it belongs to.
    • Each conversation is sorted with the oldest message uppermost regardless of the date sort order;
    • Conversations are sorted within the whole list by the date of the newest message in the conversation.

Note: This is a departure from the traditional sort order, where conversations ('threads') sorted within the message list in order of the original message in the conversation.

This also means that with conversations collapsed (Options > Read > Automatically expand grouped messages is not selected), the date columns will appear to be out of order, because the date shown for a collapsed conversation is that of the oldest message in it, whereas it is sorted by the date of the newest message in it (press Ctrl-Shift-O for Options).

Noel Burgess MVP (Ret'd)

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows Live Mail does not sort emails properly by date in the sent folder. I have conversations turned off. It says that I sent like 100 emails yesterday in my sent folder. Most of these emails I sent years ago. All of the other folders are displaying my emails correctly. The option I chose in my sent folder is "Sort by sent" which means that the emails will sort by the date in which I sent the email which means I applied the correct option that I wanted to. I tried uninstalling and repairing the Windows Live Mail. My question is, is there a fix for this issue?

I'm sure it's going to take Microsoft years to respond or fix this issue. I already had tons of bad experience with this help blog in which it takes months for anyone to get back to me are actually fix the issues. I think this blog is more for someone who can't figure out what they are doing and they need help from someone who knows how to use the program. Maybe I am just too advance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Which version of the program are you using? There was a bug that affected sorting in the Sent items folder, but it was corrected a few versions ago.

At View > Message list, try One-line view. You can then click on a column heading to sort by that field; clicking again reverses the sort order. Note, too, that there are two date columns - Date and Sent. Do you see the same behaviour with both?

Noel Burgess MVP (Ret'd)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have been using the latest version which is 16.4.3508

Your idea of going to View > Message list in the sent area did not work and did not lesson the problem.

You cannot sort by Date in the sent folder other than sorting my Sent which is basically the same option. If you go to a sent folder on the latest version of Windows Live Mail, you will see that you can only sort by: To, Sent, Subject, Size, Priority, Attachments, Flag, Watched Items, & Folder.

You have not fix the issue and I doubt that you have relooked over the latest version of Windows Live Mail before contacting me. I am kind of ashamed of the support. Is their some sort of download Fix tool?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you go to a sent folder on the latest version of Windows Live Mail, you will see that you can only sort by: To, Sent, Subject, Size, Priority, Attachments, Flag, Watched Items, & Folder.

That depends. The native folder for sent messages is called Sent items. If you're referring to a folder called Sent, then it must belong to an IMAP account, where the folder names are the same as those at the IMAP server. The columns available may depend on the IMAP account provider, but I've never seen a Folder column.

Here are the columns available in the Sent folder for an IMAP account in Windows Live Mail 2012 build 3508:

Both Sent and Date are available here. Can you not sort by Sent?

You have not fix the issue and I doubt that you have relooked over the latest version of Windows Live Mail before contacting me

I do use the latest version daily, but I'm not in a position to fix anything. I'm just a user like you.

Noel Burgess MVP (Ret'd)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Fantastic! You were able to shed some light. When you view the "Sent items" when using the Outlook Connector for a Hotmail account, the only category for the two line view is that we can use "Sent" to categorize our email by date. “Sent” doesn’t work and it’s probably bugged. If we categorize by “Date” in the one line view, all of the emails are categorized correctly. However, I like two line view and “Date” isn’t available in that mode :(

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm happy to have helped. However, there are still a couple of inconsistencies in your reply.

When you view the "Sent items" when using the Outlook Connector for a Hotmail account ...

The Outlook Connector is an add-in for MS Office Outlook. It has nothing to do with Windows Live Mail.

It now seems that you are talking about the Sent items folder for an HTTP account, that uses DeltaSync to synchronize with an account at outlook.com, and not a folder called Sent. Each type of account has different field settings for both incoming and outgoing mail, so it's important to be clear which type of account is involved.

“Sent” doesn’t work and it’s probably bugged.

I certainly works for me. Here's part of the Sent items message list for an HTTP account:

The only factor I know of that interferes with this display is Conversations, as I explained in detail on 13 October last year. Can you please post a similar screenshot showing that your message list doesn't sort by Sent? When you do, please crop your screenshot to less than 630 pixels wide - any wider and it will probably be illegible.

Noel Burgess MVP (Ret'd)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 1, 2021 Views 11,044 Applies to: