Windows Live Mail can't reply to messages or create a new message

Starting yesterday (5/15/2012) In Windows Live Mail I have not been able to reply to a message or create a new message.  I am having no problems receiving messages.  I'm running Windows 7.  I have been using Windows Live Mail for a year with no problems.  I have my Gmail, Hotmail and AOL email accounts coming into Windows Live Mail.  I am having the same problem regardless of the source of the email message.   When I try to reply to a message or create a new message the following error message dialog box pops up and says " A problem occurred while trying to open this message.  A problem has occurred.  Please try again."  There is no error message number.  I have rebooted my machine and have closed Windows Live Mail several times and the problem still persists.  Thanks for your help.  Laura

Question Info

Last updated December 1, 2018 Views 8,486 Applies to:
Answer
Starting yesterday (5/15/2012) In Windows Live Mail I have not been able to reply to a message or create a new message.  I am having no problems receiving messages.  I'm running Windows 7.  I have been using Windows Live Mail for a year with no problems.  I have my Gmail, Hotmail and AOL email accounts coming into Windows Live Mail.  I am having the same problem regardless of the source of the email message.   When I try to reply to a message or create a new message the following error message dialog box pops up and says " A problem occurred while trying to open this message.  A problem has occurred.  Please try again."  There is no error message number.  I have rebooted my machine and have closed Windows Live Mail several times and the problem still persists.  Thanks for your help.  Laura

Here's the answer that worked for me.   Please note that this did not come from Microsoft support.

they don't seem to know how to solve problems caused by their own software!

This one I found on Tom's Hardware site

1) Click START... 2) Click ALL PROGRAMS... 3) Right Click WINDOWS LIVE MAIL... 4) Left Click RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR... That's it!!! And it did the trick for me... I don't know how the program stopped recognizing me as an administrator, but it did and it's now fixed..

20 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.