Incoming mail server (POP3) and Outgoing mail server (SMTP) names of Hotmail accounts

Hello,

I have seen that there is  an option 'remove from sever when deleted from items' is listed in Advance tab while clicking on a Gmail account added in WLM using incoming mail sever "POP3". Then, clicking on 'properties after that, on Advance tab.

However, this option is not found in Hotmail accounts added in WLM using POP3, and Gmail account added on WLM using incoming mail sever "IMAP", Even although the advance tab is available in the second(Gmail accounts added with IMAP). 

Also, there is neither an incoming mail server name nor outgoing mail sever name shown in the sever tab on the Hotmail accounts added in WLM (first screenshot below)
However, for all Gmail accounts, there are(second screenshot below).

Then when should I use these incoming and outgoing mail sever name of Hotmail accounts available below. In other words, where will I be benefiting from these severs as long as I didn't set them via setting a Hotmail account in WLM?

Incoming mail server (POP3) information:

pop3.live.com port: 995/110

Outgoing mail server (SMTP) information:

smtp.live.com port: 587/465/25

Any comments would be highly appreciated.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Could anyone please reply me?
***The real leader is the one who helps others.***

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Why did no one reply me?

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

POP3/SMTP is the original way of conducting email, dating back thirty years. You have a mailbox on a server somewhere (in this case at outlook.com), and every so often your email program asks that server if there are any new messages. If there are, they are downloaded via POP3. That's it.

DeltaSync was introduced seven or eight years ago as a better way of conducting email. For a start, you can have many different folders in your account, and their contents will be kept in synchronization. This way, you can access the same account from different places and devices and always see the same messages. DeltaSync also allows for the synchronization of contacts lists and calendars between the mail program and the servers, if you sign in in Windows Live Mail.

Noel Burgess | Certified Pedant | Claims to know a bit about Windows Live Mail

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks a lot, I have been told that

The mail folders of Gmail accounts will be synchronized when you configured it as an IMAP account. A POP3 account can only download from the Inbox folder and nothing will be synchronized.

I would understand above that the Messages  will only be synchronized with both Microsoft outlook and WLM via using POP3 or IMAP mail severs. However,  Calendar or Contacts will not be synchronised though. If so, then why are Calendar or Contacts  synchronised via Hotmail accounts added in Microsoft Outlook and WLM? 

I think that POP3 and IMAP protocoals will be downloading  and synchronizing all folders along with their messages of accounts added in WLM and Outlook

However, POP3 accounts added in outlook will only be downloading messages in inbox folder.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Welcome to the Microsoft Community. 

Let me differentiate between the different protocols being used for Windows Live Mail. 

If you are going to add your Microsoft account on Windows Live Mail using the default configuration, it will use Delta Sync.  Delta Sync will sync the emails, contacts and calendar.  However, should you prefer manual configuration, you have the option to choose between POP, IMAP or Windows Live Hotmail (this is for adding non-Microsoft accounts or Email-As-Sign-In accounts) and it will sync the messages only. 

For proper configuration, you can check out the article below: 

Aside from that, please take note of the correct POP and IMAP settings as follows: 

Incoming (POP) Server: pop-mail.outlook.com
Port: 995
Encrypted Connection: SSL

Outgoing (SMTP) Server: smtp-mail.outlook.com
Port: 25 (or 587 if 25 is blocked)
Authentication: Yes
Encrypted Connection: TLS

User name: Your email address
Password: Your password

FOR IMAP: 

Incoming (IMAP) Server: imap-mail.outlook.com
Port: 993

Let us know should you have any inquiries. 

Regards, 

Leah V. 

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

If you are going to add your Microsoft account on Windows Live Mail using the default configuration, it will use Delta Sync.  Delta Sync will sync the emails, contacts and calendar.  

Thanks a lot for your excellent detailed explanation. However, I have another little question, which is, you have said above:

First: if I use default configuration, it will use Delta Sync
I really see that there is no incoming or outgoing information can be accessible when I choose manual configuration, then choose the sever type: 'Windows Live Hotmail'. As a result, I think this would also 
be Delta Sync

Second: you said However, should you prefer manual configuration, you have the option to choose between POP, IMAP or Windows Live Hotmail (this is for adding non-Microsoft accounts or Email-As-Sign-In accounts) and it will sync the messages only.  

But I think that Windows Live Hotmail  also belongs to  Microsoft accounts. I really when I added my Hotmail account in the first page, then chose 'manual configuration'. After that, I chose 'Windows live Hotmail' as a sever type. Finally, I saw that all my messages, contacts and calendar were syncronised.
Thus, I think that only contacts and calendar will not be synchronised via POP and IMAP protocols. However, messages in each folder will be syncrhonised  via POP, IMAP and Delta Synnc 

NB: As long as all text boxes are inaccessible(I.e I don't write any sever address) when choosing 'Windows live Hotmail', I really still quite surprised about why they let 'Windows Live Hotmail' be listed in the sever types when I choose manual configuration.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I really still quite surprised about why they let 'Windows Live Hotmail' be listed in the sever types when I choose manual configuration.

Windows Live Mail uses the domain part of the email address to configure a new account. If this is not one of the Microsoft mail domains (hotmail.*, msn.com, live.*, outlook.*, windowslive.* and so on), the program won't recognize it as a DeltaSync-provisioned account. But it might well be such an account, e.g. one registered with Windows Live Admin Center. So the 'Windows Live Hotmail' option is there to enable manual configuration as a DeltaSync account.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

So the 'Windows Live Hotmail' option is there to enable manual configuration as a DeltaSync account.

Thanks a lot for your continuing replying me. I really don't understand you. What can I do with choosing 'Windows Live Hotmail' option as long as I couldn't write anything else? In other words, where I can benefit from choosing this option? What difference are there between choosing this option and choosing default configuration? For instance, if I have entered my *** Email address is removed for privacy ***' or *** Email address is removed for privacy ***, and so on in the first page, then clicking 'next' without the 'manual configuration is ticked. Then, this will be DelatSync. On other the hand, if have entered *** Email address is removed for privacy ***' or *** Email address is removed for privacy ***. Then, I chose 'next' with the 'manual configuration is ticked. After that, I choose 'Windows Live Hotmail', this also would be DeltaSync without benefiting form the manual configuration.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

For a domain that Windows Live Mail doesn't recognize, the default configuration would be to use port 110 for POP3, port 25 for SMTP, no SSL and no SMTP authentication. If the account in question is in fact provisioned for DeltaSync, then the 'Windows Live Hotmail' option would configure the account to use DeltaSync instead of POP3/SMTP, with all the advantages that brings.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

For a domain that Windows Live Mail doesn't recognize, the default configuration would be to use port 110 for POP3, port 25 for SMTP, no SSL and no SMTP authentication. If the account in question is in fact provisioned for DeltaSync, then the 'Windows Live Hotmail' option would configure the account to use DeltaSync instead of POP3/SMTP, with all the advantages that brings.
Thanks a lot, I am only  facing a problem understanding the principle using of these protocols, or others can be confusing with this, too.

What difference are there between choosing this windows live hotmail option shown in manual configuration and choosing default configuration with Microsoft accounts(Windowslive.com, Hotamil.com?  For instance, if I have entered my *** Email address is removed for privacy ***' or *** Email address is removed for privacy ***, and so on in the first page,

Then, clicking 'next' with the 'manual configuration isn't ticked. Then, I will be end up with doing nothing and this will be DelatSync. 

On other the hand, if have entered *** Email address is removed for privacy ***' or *** Email address is removed for privacy ***. Then, I chose 'next' with the 'manual configuration is ticked

After that, I choose 'Windows Live Hotmail',

then I will end up with doing nothing and this would also be DeltaSync. 

So I didn't benefit  form the manual configuration with choosing 'Windows live Hotmail' sever type as long I end up with the same between two ways.

Also, I wanted to add *** Email address is removed for privacy ***', however, I couldn't know where I could write its incoming and outgoing address names manually.
I tried choosing
Incoming (POP) Server: pop-mail.outlook.com
Port: 995

As this screenshot:
But whenever I clicked on 'receive and send' button, the log-on window keeps showing me again and again.

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 25, 2020 Views 41,405 Applies to: