frontier email keeps timing out through windows live mail

Error messages I received:

Unable to send or receive messages for the Frontier account.

Server Error: 0x800CCC90
Server Response: -ERR inactivity timeout
Server: 'pop3.frontier.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800420CD
Protocol: POP3
Port: 110
Secure(SSL): No

Unable to send or receive messages for the Frontier account. Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity.

Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F
Port: 110
Secure(SSL): No

I spoke with a rep from Frontier via Live Chat and they thought my problem sounded like a possible pst update needed due to a corrupted file??  The emails will come through only sometimes...maybe once or twice a day vs. when I hit the send/receive button.  The frontier tech said a corrupted file will bypass sometimes allowing the info through, but not consistently.

As far as I can see, Frontier email is handled by Yahoo. You may get better results using their recommended settings:

Right-click on the account name in the folder pane and select Properties.

On the Servers tab, clear the boxes and enter the following:

• Incoming server: pop3.frontier.com
  • Outgoing server: smtp.frontier.com
  • Your Email username is your full Frontier e-mail address.
  • Ensure that Log on using clear text authentication is selected.
  • Select My server requires authentication.

On the Advanced tab,

• Change the outgoing mail port to 465 and select This server requires a secure connection (SSL)
  • Change the incoming mail port to 995 and select This server requires a secure connection (SSL)
  • Ensure that the ports numbers remain as entered before clicking Apply and then OK.

Close down WLMail and wait a few minutes before re-launching and testing. Post any new error message in your reply.

Note that Yahoo mail will not work well - giving errors like those you have been seeing - if you try to access your mailbox from more than one device simultaneously. If you have a smartphone configured to collect your Frontier mail, disable push mail and use POP3 instead.

Whenever you see the authentication error (the one you quoted) in WLMail, you may be able to make it go away by logging in to your Frontier webmail account.

Noel Burgess MVP (Ret'd)

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I am running WLM 2012 under Windows 7 Home Premium that I keep updated.  

This issue or a related one with the same diagnostic messages has resurfaced in late 2015 and early 2016 related to a Microsoft update to WLM 2012 referred to as KB3093594 and reported and discussed in articles like http://www.infoworld.com/article/3016851/microsoft-windows/microsoft-reissues-botched-windows-live-mail-2012-patch-kb-3093594.html.

The symptoms are identical to those reported previously by Heidi Weishaar, above, in 2012.  I found that, at times, using Task Manager to kill theWLM process works, other times, restarting Windows helps.  Also, it is possible, but cumbersome, to log into Frontier WebMail to see the current queue of messages.  Frequently, if I wait a while, and double click the Send/Receive option on the WLM banner, it works again.

I have not tried to reload WLM again, but that may be a solution if a corrupted file is involved.  Any input on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

... related to a Microsoft update to WLM 2012 referred to as KB3093594 ... 

The update affects only Microsoft Email accounts (those having an email address @outlook, @Hotmail, @msn, @live etc.) configured to use HTTP. It has no effect on any other type of account, i.e. POP3 and IMAP.

The symptoms are identical to those reported previously by Heidi Weishaar,  

If you're also seeing error 0x800420CD, you have a message in the mailbox that Windows Live Mail can't or won't download. Please post in its entirety the error message you're seeing: you can click on an error message to select it, then use right-click to copy it and paste it into the text entry box.

I have not tried to reload WLM again,

If by reload you mean uninstall and re-install, I assure you this will have no effect at all on the sort of errors Heidi was seeing. She was using settings that were outdated four years ago, and these will not be affected by replacing the program files.

Noel Burgess MVP (Ret'd)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Noel, thanks for the reply.  I do have all the current settings of port, SSL, etc, to be compliant with Frontier/Yahoo.

The latest error I have received is:

Unable to send or receive messages for the Dragonfly account. Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity.

Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F
Port: 995
Secure(SSL): Yes

I do get a prompt (popup) to login to my account

And, again

Unable to send or receive messages for the Dragonfly account. An incorrect password was entered. The next time you send or receive messages, you'll be asked to enter your username and password for this account.

Server Error: 0x800CCC90

Server Response: -ERR [IN-USE] maildrop busy.

Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC92

Port: 995

Secure(SSL): Yes

A suggestion was made on 2 January 216  (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/livemail-wlsettings/windows-live-mail-error-0x800ccc92-and-0x800ccc90/d339b501-e59c-4812-9927-502f4f17a510) to delete the file Mail.MSMessageStore.  I am not sure I am willing to do that. without assurances.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 6, 2023 Views 6,319 Applies to: