A Trojan causing the message 'The contents of this message cannot be found' to bereturned.

A Trojan was identified and isolated by my McAfee Total Protection. 
The Trojan was delivered by an email that was not opened. 
However all emails stored in the Windows Live Mail Inbox cannot now be opened. 
The message 'The contents of this message cannot be found' is returned. 
All emails stored in other folders and received since the trojan was isolated can be displayed. 
How can I re-display the messages in the Inbox? I cannot find a name or description of the Trojan.

Thanks

Question Info

Last updated May 15, 2018 Views 78 Applies to:

Hi GregYQ,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Let me assist you with viewing your emails on Windows Live Mail.

We would like you to try reconfiguring your account on Mail to try to fix the issue with viewing the email messages. You can follow the steps from this link to reconfigure your account to Mail along with the email messages.

Let us know if the issue persists.

Thank you.

Johan

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Johan,

Thanks for the reply.

The link you supplied was to the Windows Support Page for "how do I add an account to Windows Live Mail?"

I have looked at the 5 options;
To add an email account
To change Server Settings for email service provider
To remove an email account
To add an RSS feed
To add a Newsgroup

None of them deal with "reconfiguring" my account. So I am confused as to what to do. 

The issue still persists.

Regards

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. We're sorry for the confusion. Let me assist you with that. For better understanding, here are the steps to isolate the issue.

1. Remove your account in Windows Live Mail.

Before removing an account, check that the messages you want saved are available when you sign in to the web version. If some of your messages are available only in Live Mail, export your messages before removing the account. See How do I import and export email, contacts, and calendars with Windows Live Mail?.

Right-click the account you want to remove, and then click Remove account. Click Yes to confirm.

2. Access your account in Web and delete the email that has been detected of your anti-virus software.

3. Re-add your account in Windows Live Mail by following the steps on the link provided by my colleague.

Let us know how things turn out!

Regards.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Helene,

Thanks for the reply.

None of my emails are stored in the Web version, all are transferred to my PC into Windows Live Mail

Unfortunately with the export of the emails, only the the emails received after the trojan was deleted are exported to the new storage folder. All the emails containing the the message 'The contents of this message cannot be found' are not exported. It appears that the trojan is prohibiting these emails to be exported as well as read.

As such I have not removed the account and re-installed it, as I am concerned with the losing the emails.

Is the issue an account issue or a data issue. It appears that the data is corrupted, ie I can't read or export the email.

The problem still persists, I am unable to read the emails stored in my inbox before the trojan appeared and was deleted.

Regards

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi GregYQ,

Thank you for your response.  I understand you had a trojan on your computer resulting to the corruption of the emails on Windows Live Mail.  Let me assist you.

At this point, for you to be able to use Windows Live Mail you would need to reconfigure it with the Microsoft account as previously advised by the moderators.  Unfortunately, the corrupted emails would be unrecoverable since there is no longer a copy on Outlook.com. 

Do not hesitate to post should you have any inquiries.

Regards,

Leah V.

Sorry this didn't help.