WLM 2012 on WIn10: "A problem has occurred while trying to open this message. Please try again"

I have one message, from a sender I have received from before, which I cannot open or delete. I can move it to a different folder but then have the same problem: cannot open or delete it.

On an earlier post of a similar problem, applying to all messages and not being able to send either, a suggestion was, "It is possible that Mail.MsMessageStore file was corrupted. Please follow the steps below on how to repair the file:" I carried out that solution but the problem with this one message persists.

Any help with being able to open this message, which I expected to receive and which I need, would be much apprecaited.

I forgot to mention that when I select the problem message in the Inbox, all the icons in the ribbon: Reply, Reply to All, Forward and Delete, are greyed out.
from the bushland of Clear Range, Australia

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have one message ... which I cannot open or delete. 

How can you tell that you can't delete it? It sounds as if when trying to delete it, you  have actually succeeded. You see the entry in the message list, but the underlying file isn't where the message database index thinks it is. This might constitute a 'minor corruption' of the index, which doesn't normally require any user intervention to put right. I really wonder what you did to repair it.

... this message, which I expected to receive and which I need, 

I don't quite understand why you have tried to delete a message you need ... I take it you've looked in the appropriate Deleted items folder. 

If the message index loses track of a message, the message may well end up in the Recovered items folder under Storage folders, but it's not often that this happens for a single message in a folder. Have a look there - if the Recovered items folder exists, it won't be empty unless you emptied it, so look carefully.

Do you have a previous version of the folder the message originally arrived in, e.g. from File History? You could copy it from there, if so.

Noel Burgess | Certified Pedant | Claims to know a bit about Windows Live Mail

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Firedog, Thanks for responding.

When I could't open or forward the message, I tried to delete it with the intention of moving it back out of the Deleted folder to the Inbox folder. That';s when I noticed that, with that message selected (highlighted in the list of messages in the Inbox) the actions of Reply, Reply to All, Forward and Delete on the ribbon were greyed out.

My search of this forum has found that the message seems to be rather common but seems always in those cases to be affecting all messages.

A number of those cases refer to using private messaging to send the WLM log files for examination.

The solution that I tried was:
"1. Restart the computer (this is to ensure that Live Mail is fully shut down, and that none of it's components are in use when the computer starts)

2. Click Start, type CMD but do not press enter

3. You will see cmd.exe in the search results, right click on it and select Run as Administrator - type your admin password if asked, and if UAC pops up asking permission, allow it

4. You should now see the command prompt, with the following displayed:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]

Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>

5. Copy the following (press Ctrl+C):

esentutl.exe -d "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\Mail.MSMessageStore"

Note: the "" are necessary

6. Right click in the command prompt Window, and select Paste, so you now see the following:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]

Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>esentutl.exe -d "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\Mail.MSMessageStore"

7. Press enter. esentutl will now defragment the Live Mail database file

8. Once done, you can close the command prompt, and restart the PC again"

After performing all these steps I opened WLM and my problem remained: this one message could not be opened.

Are there any other actions I might apply to fix this problem, please?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you.

esentutl.exe -d 

Despite what you read, this command doesn't repair the database index. The -d parameter only defragments the index. Repair is a bit more complex. I'm still not sure that it will help in this case.

Are there any other actions I might apply to fix this problem, please?

I've suggested a couple of places you could look to find the missing message - in Recovered items, and in Previous versions. Were these both fruitless? 

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't seem to have been clear about what is going on here.

The message is not missing; it is in the Inbox as an unread (ie, bolded) message. If I click once on it to select (highlight) it, the Reply, Reply to All, Forward and Delete icons in the ribbon are grey-out. If I double-click on it to open it I get the message: "A problem has occurred while trying to open this message. Please try again."

I have two earlier messages from this sender in my Inbox and they both open normally with all the action icons in the ribbon active (ie, NOT grey-out). I conclude from this that the problem is not with the sender but with my WLM2012.

Unlike others who report this error that I have seen, this is only a problem with this one message. Others reporting the error message say they cannot open any messages nor can they send messages. I can create and send messages and I can reply/forward any other message except this one.

I found two other unrelated messages in my Recovered folders (these were messages in Outbox folders dated in May19 and Aug19). There are no messages in my Junk folder.

I have used the Maintenance - Compress folders option with no effect on this problem messdage.

I did a cold boot and then used Control Panel to Repair Windows Live Essentials and then did a Restart but the problem persists.

Is there any way to access this message, either to Open and/or Delete it?

Sorry this didn't help.

The message is not missing; it is in the Inbox as an unread (ie, bolded) message. 

I'm afraid I have to repeat what I wrote earlier: You see the entry in the message list, but the underlying file isn't where the message database index thinks it is. 

The message list is taken from the database index, which tries to keep track of which messages are where. The index includes some header lines (e.g. Subject:, From:, To:, Date: ) for each message, along with flags and pointers giving the message file's status and location. When a message is selected in the message list for display, the program consults the index to locate the underlying file in order to retrieve the message body. If the index is incomplete or corrupt, the program may not be able to find the right file, in which case the message body displayed may be that of a different message or of no message at all. The underlying file is unaffected.

We have a few tools to help locate this message. The first is Find. Press Ctrl-Shift-F to open the dialogue, then enter enough information (but not too much) to enable the function to locate the message. Don't use the Date fields - they're unreliable. Search in all folders if necessary. 

Next is to use Windows Search to find the message in the file system. Open your store folder in Explorer: copy the text in the box, then press Windows key + R to open a Run box. Type cmd and press Enter to open a command window; right-click inside the window and select Paste, then press Enter.

FOR /F "TOKENS=4* SKIP=1" %A IN ('REG QUERY "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail" /V "Store Root"') DO @CALL explorer %A %B & EXIT

Now use the search box at the top right to search for the file. If it has a unique subject, type subject:"subject" in the search box to find messages with that subject. You could also use from:sender to search for messages from a specific correspondent.

You didn't mention whether you had found any previous versions of the inbox folder ...

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 18, 2020 Views 104 Applies to: